Lehmann: Almunia not ready yet

Boab

Jens Lehmann has told Manuel Almunia he does not yet deserve to be first-choice goalkeeper at Arsenal.

Lehmann started the season between the posts for The Gunners but made a couple of costly goalkeeping blunders.

Almunia has come in and looked assured, with Arsene Wenger claiming that Lehmann was not available due to an Achilles problem.

However, the German was fit to play for his country in Saturday's 2-0 victory over Wales, and will now be in contention for Arsenal's next game against Tottenham.

"I am without a doubt mentally the strongest player at Arsenal because I have more experience," Lehmann claimed in The People.

Not worried by young supermen

"There will always be a keeper who will play better for two or three matches but I have never seen anyone do this for ten games.

"I know that I have an advantage at Arsenal and that I can keep it. I don't see any young supermen keeping me out."

Wenger has told Lehmann that he cannot expect to just walk back into the side, but the 37-year-old is confident it will only be a matter of time before he reclaims his place.

He said: "I know I will be playing again at Arsenal. The coach will let me play.

"He knows it, and I know it - it doesn't matter if I have another week out.

"I have read that Almunia said he deserves to be the No 1 but until now he has not won a single important game."

I didn't like him before as a keeper and now don't think much of a man either!