Kelvin Etuhu opts for Nigeria

Manchester City striker Kelvin Etuhu has ruled out playing for England, opting for Nigeria instead.

The 20-year-old, whose elder brother Dickson is part of the current Super Eagles squad, was keen on playing for the country where he was raised.

But after watching his chances of playing for the England fade away, Etuhu has set his sights on featuring for the country of his parents.

"Nigeria is my country and that is who I want to play for," Kelvin said.

"I haven't considered anybody else and I just want to let the fans and the managers know that I am available for selection whenever they want me."

Spain-based Kalu and Ikechukwu Uche are the only brothers presently in the Super Eagles fold but the younger Etuhu is confident he will play on the same Nigeria side as his brother.

"I think it would be a great thing for us to have two brothers playing for our country at the same time and I look forward to it," Kelvin added.

Dickson has made five appearances for Nigeria since making his debut in 2007.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian football authorities have called up Scotland-based striker Sone Aluko for the friendly against Republic of Ireland on 29 May at Craven Cottage.

The Aberdeen forward, who was born in Birmingham to Nigerian parents, has been capped by England at all levels up to the Under-19 level.

His elder sister, Eniola, plays for England at full international level.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8068814.stm