Davie in defensive mood !

Wonder what an offer beyond belief amounts to ? :sherlock:

David Murray: Madjid Bougherra is not Carlos Cuellar MkII

Madjid is not for sale at Gers

by Alison McConnell

SIR David Murray today said Madjid Bougherra won't follow the same road as Carlos Cuellar by quitting Ibrox after just one season.

Cuellar had an £8m clause in his contract which was activated by Aston Villa last summer, but Murray has insisted that Bougherra has no such figure on his head - and that Rangers will not sell him.

The past 10 days have been dominated with speculation regarding a move to Bordeaux for Bougherra and there were suggestions at the weekend that Rangers had accepted a £5.5m bid from the French side for the Algerian internationalist.

The reports gathered pace with Bougherra quoted in his homeland as saying that he would consider a move to Bordeaux but Murray has rubbished the story and insisted that the club do not wish to sell the 26-year-old.

advertisement

"We do not want to sell Madjid Bougherra," he said. "Last year was different but this is not a Carlos Cuellar situation.

"Carlos had a contract with a figure in it. There is NOTHING in Bougherra's contract."

And Murray believes the player's agent is at the centre of the story.

"The agent tried to do a deal but we made it clear that we are simply not interested," he said.

"Then he tried to phone the Bordeaux manager Laurent Blanc.

"But the general manager at Bordeaux is Jerome Bonnissel, a former Rangers player.

"If he wanted, he would simply phone us. We have never had a call from Bordeaux and we don't want one.

"I made our position quite clear. We do not wish to welcome a bid for our better players.

"There is no way we are going to sell them unless the offer is way beyond our belief.

"And I know what a fair value would be. We don't need to sell."

Rangers boss Walter Smith also insisted that Bougherra is staying put at the club.

He stressed: "Despite reports to the contrary, there have been no bids received for Madjid Bougherra.

"We have not been contacted by Bordeaux in regards to Madjid and that's the end of the story.

"As the chairman has already said on a number of occasions now, he is a player we are not looking to sell.

"The strange thing is that the story keeps getting repeated but we have had no contact with anyone from Bordeaux.

"I don't mind a bit of speculation but this story has been rumbling on for a week now."

Murray has also defended the club's decision to move the impetus onto youth development rather than big-money transfers.

He said: "Up until now it has cost us over £25m to buy and run Murray Park. If we're never ever going to give a group of youngsters an opportunity then we're as well not to have it."

Publication date 21/07/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2521207.0.0.php

He said: "Up until now it has cost us over £25m to buy and run Murray Park. If we're never ever going to give a group of youngsters an opportunity then we're as well not to have it."

Interesting last line. This pretty much means we're not going to bring in anyone and just use youth players to fill up the gaps in the squad next season.

Mcgregor, Hutton, Burke, Smith, McCormack, Fleck, Wilson

are only some of the talents to come out of Murray park. Some of them have been linked with big money moves or have completed big money moves in the past.

We have some other youngsters in there just now that could easily step up and play a part with the help of some of our championship winning players this season!

This is finally the year to use the youth!

Interesting last line. This pretty much means we're not going to bring in anyone and just use youth players to fill up the gaps in the squad next season.

I think you are right, the young Spaniards situation was interesting one minute he was off back to Spain and suddenly a u turn was done and he was staying on. Although we need centre half cover. :sherlock:

Really you would have to have 1 or2 players coming through every year to pay for a 25 million investment. It seems that almost all of our youngsters that we have invested in move on free of charge.

I think you are right, the young Spaniards situation was interesting one minute he was off back to Spain and suddenly a u turn was done and he was staying on. Although we need centre half cover. :sherlock:

Pains me to say it...but McCulloch can play CH half decent :anguish:

there's also Danny Wilson who's likely to step up to the 1st team, and even Broadfoot. Still down on options from last year though.

Aaron gets his hole here, that's why he wanted to stay!! :dry:

Pains me to say it...but McCulloch can play CH half decent :anguish:

there's also Danny Wilson who's likely to step up to the 1st team, and even Broadfoot. Still down on options from last year though.

Aaron gets his hole here, that's why he wanted to stay!! :dry:

McCulloch :(

I think he's okay in games where he's not expected to do much, but if we're going to be under the kai bosch for a lengthy period in a game, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the position.