Rangers to axe spl reserves

Rangers set to axe SPL reserves

Rangers coach Tommy Wilson

Wilson's reserve side beat Oxford United 2-0 in a friendly

Cash-strapped Scottish champions Rangers are on the verge of pulling out of the SPL Reserve League.

The Scottish Premier League agreed to make the competition optional at its annual meeting last week.

And Rangers Reserves coach Tommy Wilson told his club website: "It may be that we as a club opt out of that."

Rangers argue that fulfilling 22 reserve fixtures is difficult when players are out on loan and the squad is being trimmed because of finances.

Wilson's reserve side were also denied the services of players from their under-19 squad as they had their own league and SFA Youth Cup fixtures.

And Rangers manager Walter Smith was quoted this week as saying that he is unlikely to add to his senior squad in the current economic climate.

I think, when there is a league there, you have to fulfil fixtures whether you are ready or not

Rangers coach Tommy Wilson

"I am not entirely sure what is happening, but I think a decision will be made soon and we will build our preparations around that," said Wilson.

"Obviously it will be the manager and chief executive that will make the call.

"But I think, when there is a league there, you have to fulfil fixtures whether you are ready or not."

Wilson, who was speaking after Rangers' reserve side beat Oxford United 2-0 in a pre-season friendly, said that arranging regular ad-hoc friendly fixtures would be more beneficial.

The English Conference side, who had beaten First Division Morton 3-0 on Saturday, were beaten thanks to goals from Andrew Little and Steven Lennon.

Link

I know this has probably been posted... just saw the date doh

I'll leave the stories to Boab from now on...

It means they can arrange reserve games, at their wish, against Premiership clubs and other opposition, rather than playing St Mirren's reserves at Broadwood.

I think it's a good move.

It means they can arrange reserve games, at their wish, against Premiership clubs and other opposition, rather than playing St Mirren's reserves at Broadwood.

I think it's a good move.

Yeah I suppose playing teams such as Man City reserves would provide more of a challenge than Hamilton youngsters that can be found down the park

I quite like the idea of being able to choose our own fixtures, allows our youngsters to come up against different styles of play as well.

would be better if they were openly advertised,instead of being behind closed doors