***The Official Serie A Discussion Thread***

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not suprised they told him he is surplus to requirement as hes past it, hasn't been good since he left Lazio.

Even if they do sign Faubert he will just be a squa player.

Do you think Inzaghi will play much this season since Leonardo opted to play Boriello instead v Siena.

I reckon Inzaghi will be very much a bit part player this term, Huntelaar, Borriello and possibly Di Gennaro will be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Who do you support in Italy by the way mate?

Inzaghi will play when Huntelaar or Borriello are a bit goal shy. For the past 2 seasons he has usually started his scoring sprees in the 2nd half of the season. We may see the same again from the 36 year old.

Both games on ESPN

Milan Derby on Saturday, what are your thoughts lads, who do you think will win?

Firstly Berlusconi needs to shut up and stop undermining Leonardo, he keeps saying Ronaldinho should get played up front with Pato, this seems a ridiculous suggestion to me since Pato publically expressed his delight at not having to spearhead the attack when Kaka left. Pato is a 2nd forward, Leonardo is right to play Ronaldinho in the hole.

I have a feeling that Milan will win this game, as long as you have an attack consisting of Ronaldinho, Huntelaar and Pato then you are always going to score goals, on the other hand we have an Inter side who may have Milito and Eto'o up front, they don't create much which is why if Nesta stays fit then I believe Milan will win this game. Inter badly need a trequartista badly, if they want to retain their crown at home or make an impression in Europe, you can have the best forwards in the world but they can't do nothing if you don't create for them so lets all hope they don't get one.

Roma v Juventus on Sunday another big game, who do you think will win?

Is Mexes back from suspension yet? This game will depend on how well Roma defend as they can't afford to defend like they did v Genoa against the team with one of the strongest attacks in the league if not the strongest. Juventus are getting linked with Grosso again today for £2 million, do you think that would be a good deal?

Both games on ESPN

Milan Derby on Saturday, what are your thoughts lads, who do you think will win?

Firstly Berlusconi needs to shut up and stop undermining Leonardo, he keeps saying Ronaldinho should get played up front with Pato, this seems a ridiculous suggestion to me since Pato publically expressed his delight at not having to spearhead the attack when Kaka left. Pato is a 2nd forward, Leonardo is right to play Ronaldinho in the hole.

Ronaldinho's performance in the hole on Saturday won us the match, along with Pato's finishing. Ron isn't maybe currently at his Barcelona form, but he doesn't need to be to run entire matches and make the crucial contributions. He has every chance of regaining his form over time and returning to being the best player in the league, which he achieved during the first half of last season.

I agree about Berlusconi, but he and Fester are almost entirely lacking in credibility from head to toe. Berlu is going through a bitter divorce, has gone onto stress medication, has had more surgery than Michael Owen and is falling to pieces. His mind is a complete mess. As for Fester, he's just a constant liar who pretty much never says anything which is true. Leo should just ignore both of them.

I have a feeling that Milan will win this game, as long as you have an attack consisting of Ronaldinho, Huntelaar and Pato then you are always going to score goals, on the other hand we have an Inter side who may have Milito and Eto'o up front, they don't create much which is why if Nesta stays fit then I believe Milan will win this game. Inter badly need a trequartista badly, if they want to retain their crown at home or make an impression in Europe, you can have the best forwards in the world but they can't do nothing if you don't create for them so lets all hope they don't get one.

Inter haven't really had a treq unless you count Ibra. And they've won the league 4 years running. As for who will win on Saturday, the game has much more interest and 'feist' about it thanks to the clubs' respective opening day results. Milan turning their form and current reputation on its head with a disciplined, attacking, well organised display at a very tricky ground and key players making vital contributions, particularly Nesta, Pato and of course Ron. Inter's surprise dropping of points makes them vulnerable for the first time in ages, and it will be curious to see how they respond to the pressure of such a bad result at home.

I don't know if KJH will start, Pippo may get the nod to spare KJH the possibility of having a bad game and consequent press maulings. But Leo may instead be brave and pitch him in such is his record and pedigree.

Is Mexes back from suspension yet? This game will depend on how well Roma defend as they can't afford to defend like they did v Genoa against the team with one of the strongest attacks in the league if not the strongest. Juventus are getting linked with Grosso again today for £2 million, do you think that would be a good deal?

Very good deal, he's been solid and one of the better Italian players of the past 5 years. Surprising how long he's been at Lyon - but he's done well there and 2M would be a steal.

I hope for a draw in that match. Though I would disagree Juve have maybe the strongest attack - Iaquinta and Amauri are totally overated imo - the fact they were behind Del Piero (himself not a huge scorer either) in the scoring charts says it all. Strongest attacks are Inter and Milan's right now.

I think Huntelaar might actually start on Saturday(I thought his ban was only 1 game?) and if Ronaldinho is at his creative best, then I can see Huntelaar scoring a shitload throughout the season!

And Grosso is actually only 31, djw! Still the wrong side of 30, but Juve can get 2 or 3 good seasons out of him yet.

They have won the league the last 4 years because they have had no competition, Roma have been the team that got closest to them a couple of seasons ago, however they did not have the resources to push on, they have needed a top quality forward for seasons, not to mention every summer they seem to lose a star player (Chivu,Mancini,Aquilani). They did sign Baptista last year but he has just been a huge flop since he left Sevilla, Roma need some serious investment before they can even be considered a title challenger again.

Juventus's transfer policy has been woeful as of late, until this season, they have signed players in every position which needed improving and can finally be considered genuine title contenders.

As for Milan, Ancelotti stayed too long and the club became stale, a lot will depend on where Milan are in January when Beckham returns if they can win the league, if they are still within touching distance I wouldn't rule out Milan winning Serie A.

This is the most exciting Serie A campaign in years, the big 3 seem on more of an even playing field this year with the squads which they have at their disposal. Plus you have the likes of Napoli, Roma, Fiorentina, Genoa, Sampdoria etc battling for Europe and have players capable of upsetting any team.

I don't think Inzaghi will feature on Saturday if he does it will be off the bench in a super sub type role, I think Huntelaar will start on Saturday he doesn't seem the type of played who would be fazed by what the media have to say, also if he is on the park there is always a chance he will stick the ball away even if he isn't in the game, mind you the same could be said for Inzaghi, aren't Milan lucky :P

I wouldn't say Inter have one of the strongest attacks in the league, I meant squad wise, the only other option Inter have is Balotelli, where as Milan have Boriello, Inzaghi, Huntelaar, Pato and Ronaldinho and Juventus have quite a few forwards too.

As for Grosso he was out of the picture the last part of last season but I would quite like him to return home !

Both games on ESPN

Mexes is back thank feck! You're right, some of the defending against Genoa was comical and having the best centre back in Serie A back will help immensely. Let's also hope Burdisso finds his feet quickly!

£2m for a 33 year old? Good for back up, but not if he restricts Molinaro's development.

I desperately want us to win, but I can see you lot cancelling us out at the Olimpico.

I think Inter will come through on Saturday. Drawing with Bari hurt them, and Mourinho will want a performance out of his players. Plus Milan still don't have Huntelaar through suspension, so I predict a narrow Inter win.

Will be interesting to see if Mourinho starts Quaresma again like he did at the weekend, the flop of last season!

I think we will sit back and try and hit you on the counter dj, we have the players capable of doing that! although I too think our game has draw written all over it.

Roma have been the team that got closest to them a couple of seasons ago, however they did not have the resources to push on, they have needed a top quality forward for seasons, not to mention every summer they seem to lose a star player (Chivu,Mancini,Aquilani). They did sign Baptista last year but he has just been a huge flop since he left Sevilla, Roma need some serious investment before they can even be considered a title challenger again.

1. We need a top quality forward? Vucinic not good enough? How about Francesco 'Golden Boot' Totti?
  2. Baptista may not have been at his best, but I wouldn't bet against a revival similar to what Ronaldinho is trying to achieve at Milan.
  3. We've got the best defender in the league, some of the best youngsters, the best defensive midfielder and one of Italy's all time greats. Oh a title challenge can happen!

You need more than 2 forwards, and Vucinic isn't exactly prolific, I guess I should of made that clear that I meant a prolific scorer. Now I think about it more I forgot Menez was there, a lot will depend on how he does when he comes into the team.

If Roma can get the old Baptista back then they will have one hell of a player, however he hasn't looked like Sevilla's Baptista for years apart from the odd glimpse at Real Madrid. Therefore I highly doubt it.

There is no doubt that Mexes is a top drawer defender and Motta is a quality young player but I don't believe your squad is big enough for a sustained title challenge, I would be happy if Roma prove me wrong and end Inter's dominance as I admire Spalletti as a manager and the way he sets out his teams.

Roma have been the team that got closest to them a couple of seasons ago, however they did not have the resources to push on, they have needed a top quality forward for seasons, not to mention every summer they seem to lose a star player (Chivu,Mancini,Aquilani). They did sign Baptista last year but he has just been a huge flop since he left Sevilla, Roma need some serious investment before they can even be considered a title challenger again.

1. We need a top quality forward? Vucinic not good enough? How about Francesco 'Golden Boot' Totti?
  2. Baptista may not have been at his best, but I wouldn't bet against a revival similar to what Ronaldinho is trying to achieve at Milan.
  3. We've got the best defender in the league, some of the best youngsters, the best defensive midfielder and one of Italy's all time greats. Oh a title challenge can happen!

You need more than 2 forwards, and Vucinic isn't exactly prolific, I guess I should of made that clear that I meant a prolific scorer. Now I think about it more I forgot Menez was there, a lot will depend on how he does when he comes into the team.

If Roma can get the old Baptista back then they will have one hell of a player, however he hasn't looked like Sevilla's Baptista for years apart from the odd glimpse at Real Madrid. Therefore I highly doubt it.

There is no doubt that Mexes is a top drawer defender and Motta is a quality young player but I don't believe your squad is big enough for a sustained title challenge, I would be happy if Roma prove me wrong and end Inter's dominance as I admire Spalletti as a manager and the way he sets out his teams.

He might be going to Marseille :anguish:

Don't forget that a couple of seasons ago, we were the top scoring team in the country! We had basically the same team then as we do now, so don't be surprised if we spring a few upsets this season.

That may be a good thing though, it may force you to play Baptista as an out and out striker, where he always looks better when he plays there.

Im only going to say this once guys. If any of you Calcio fans, whatever the fuck that means, ever want to go over to Itlay to see a game, Fiorentina or Hellas or at a pretty big fucking push any team in Milan, I'll be only to happy to be your guide, get cheap hotels and flights and have a fucking party. Im away this weekend for a long un.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is looking forward to his Serie A debut in the Derby della Madonnina. “After all, I’ve already scored against Inter!”

The Milan hitman was prevented from playing in last week’s 2-1 victory at Siena due to a ban that was still hanging over his head from the time at Real Madrid.

Instead he will get his first taste of Italian football in one of the biggest fixtures in the European calendar.

“It’s not a bad way to make your debut,” grinned the Dutchman.

“It will be wonderful to begin with the derby. I hope we can win straight away. We are a strong side and just need to prove it with our results.”

Huntelaar is not guaranteed a starting shirt on Saturday night, as Marco Borriello and Pippo Inzaghi are also challenging for the role alongside Alexandre Pato and Ronaldinho.

“I am in good shape and am training hard to improve my form. Playing with Dinho and Pato is great fun and if I’m on the field I will try to get a goal.

“After all, I have already scored against Inter when I was playing for Ajax and hope to do the same with Milan.”

‘The Hunter’ netted a towering header for Ajax in a Champions League encounter with the Nerazzurri, a 2-2 draw in Amsterdam on February 22 2006.

You can watch Milan-Inter LIVE on ESPN from 19.45 on Saturday.

The Football Italia site are now linking Inter with Baptista after Sneijder keeps rejecting them, they think the price would be around £7 million and are linking Roma with Fred and Pavlyuchenko if the sale goes through. Either would be a good signing but strenghtening one of your biggest rivals to facilitate a purchase of a center forward seems crazy to me!

Also just noticed it was on Sky Sports too

Julio Baptista's agent has claimed he is in discussions with Inter Milan over a possible switch.

The Brazilian forward has fallen out of favour at Roma and has been tipped to secure a move away from the Stadio Olimpico this summer.

Baptista ruled out a return to England earlier this week following a largely frustrating season on loan with Arsenal in 2006/7.

Inter Milan are now thought to be leading the chase for Baptista's signature and his representative Herminio Menendez says negotiations with the Serie A champions are ongoing.

"We are talking to Inter for his transfer," Menendez told romagiallorossa.com.

"He could join them on a permanent transfer.

"As far as I know, Baptista has not spoken to Roma.

"The negotiations must be completed soon because on Monday the transfer window ends."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_5514807,00.html

The Football Italia site are now linking Inter with Baptista after Sneijder keeps rejecting them, they think the price would be around £7 million and are linking Roma with Fred and Pavlyuchenko if the sale goes through. Either would be a good signing but strenghtening one of your biggest rivals to facilitate a purchase of a center forward seems crazy to me!

Julio Baptista's agent has claimed he is in discussions with Inter Milan over a possible switch.

The Brazilian forward has fallen out of favour at Roma and has been tipped to secure a move away from the Stadio Olimpico this summer.

Baptista ruled out a return to England earlier this week following a largely frustrating season on loan with Arsenal in 2006/7.

Inter Milan are now thought to be leading the chase for Baptista's signature and his representative Herminio Menendez says negotiations with the Serie A champions are ongoing.

"The negotiations must be completed soon because on Monday the transfer window ends."

Nothing under £10m. If we get that then take it, and spend on someone like Cavani.

Doubt you would get Cavani, however if you pulled that one off it would be a good deal all round.

D'Agostino is getting linked with Lazio for Pandez + Ledesma + cash to Lazio, do you think that might happen? What a signing that would be for Lazio!

Nothing under £10m. If we get that then take it, and spend on someone like Cavani.

Doubt you would get Cavani, however if you pulled that one off it would be a good deal all round.

D'Agostino is getting linked with Lazio for Pandez + Ledesma + cash to Lazio, do you think that might happen? What a signing that would be for Lazio!

D'Agostino, a former Roma man moving to Lazio? :angry:

Would be really shocked if Pandev and Ledesma moved to Udinese though.

Well according to Football Italia it is Udinese who are pushing to use D'Agostino as part of the deal. I guess he must of the fell out with the club as he never got his move to Juventus.

He was never a key player for Roma though, Roma were crazy to let him go, he is some player and if Lazio manage to sign him and Canini whom they have also been linked too on the football italia side, then they might just be a dark horse for fourth.

D'Agostino, a former Roma man moving to Lazio? :angry:

Would be really shocked if Pandev and Ledesma moved to Udinese though.

Well according to Football Italia it is Udinese who are pushing to use D'Agostino as part of the deal. I guess he must of the fell out with the club as he never got his move to Juventus.

He was never a key player for Roma though, Roma were crazy to let him go, he is some player and if Lazio manage to sign him and Canini whom they have also been linked too on the football italia side, then they might just be a dark horse for fourth.

Roma were using him as a trequartista, but since he's been moved a bit deeper, he's come on leaps and bounds. Now there's a player I wouldn't mind seeing in our shirt this season!

I don't see a successful Lazio season at all. I may be slightly blinkered, but this is a club with a lot going on behind the scenes which is involving their best players leaving. Plus Ballardini has yet to really prove himself as a top class coach.

You can only dream, your skint ! :P

Yes there is always some drama going on at Lazio, however they still have Zarate, Rocchi and Cruz so they will score goals. Their defence on the other hand was a shambles last season and needs shoring up.

Juventus’ summer spending may not be over as reports claim they have signed their third Brazilian of the transfer market.

Although there is no official confirmation yet, some sources in the peninsula are suggesting that the club have netted Rafinha.

A 23-year-old right-back who has been linked with the club in recent times, it is claimed that the Bianconeri have made a £7m offer to Schalke.

After already bringing in Diego from Werder Bremen and Fiorentina’s Felipe Melo, Rafinha could enhance the side’s Selecao society to four given the presence of Amauri too.

There have been doubts over the right-back position at the club given the ability of Zdenek Grygera and the fitness of Jonathan Zebina.

Rafinha, who is also believed to be a target for Milan, is highly rated and has inevitably been likened to Brazil legend Marcos Cafu.

Should Rafinha complete his move to Juve, the club could finish their calcio mercato campaign with a left-back.

Lyon’s Fabio Grosso is again being associated and the clubs could discuss terms later today in Monte Carlo after the Champions League draw.

That would be a terrific signing for Juventus.