Walter on SDM giving him a chance, talks about SDM and on the

Boab

By ANDY DEVLIN

Published: 29 Aug 2009

HE'S one of the most decorated managers in Scottish football history.

A staggering 18 major honours during two spells in charge at his beloved Rangers make him one of the game's true greats.

But Walter Smith reckons he'd be clocking in for work at Dalmarnock Power Station had it not been for Sir David Murray.

After more than 20 years at the helm, the multi-millionaire steel tycoon dramatically announced on Wednesday that he was standing down as Gers chairman. A bombshell decision that Smith is still trying to come to terms with.

Murray, after all, was the man who handed him his big break in 1991.

And last night the Rangers boss paid tribute to the man he says he owes his glittering career to.

Smith said: "There is an element of change that hasn't been here for a long time so it will take a bit of getting used to.

"Another manager who had been here for the length of time I have been here second time around might not feel that.

"But he was instrumental in giving me the job as Rangers manager so it will be strange for me.

"When Graeme Souness left, the environment was different to now and he could have gone anywhere to get a new manager.

"I had no track record as a manager. He could have gone for someone with a track record behind them.

"He took a chance on me, gave me an opportunity to get into management, the opportunity I wanted, which could not have been an easy decision to make.

"I'll always be grateful to him for that. I don't know where I'd be now if he hadn't taken that chance.

"Maybe back at Dalmarnock Power Station, I don't know."

At 57, Murray has called time on his rollercoaster reign as chairman.

In two decades he's seen Gers equal Celtic's record nine championships in a row, spent £100million of his own cash and watched the club return to a major European final for the first time in 36 years.

And Smith insisted: "To be chairman and owner for 20 years is quite remarkable given the pressures that have been on him and considering the changes that have occurred in football within that time.

"His legacy will be the success that he has brought to Rangers.

"When anyone takes on a position at Rangers they know that they have to be successful. Whether you are chairman, owner, both, manager, player, you have to be successful and you are charged with that responsibility.

"If you look at the number of trophies he has won, he has been extremely successful.

"He should be remembered for the success he has brought to the club."

Yet despite millions spent in the trophy-laden years, Murray became a target as the club ran up debts.

Following Gers' humiliating European exit at the hands of FBK Kaunas last season it all came to a head.

A 'We Deserve Better' campaign was launched with angry fans calling for Murray's resignation.

Yet Rangers would rally and delivered the Ibrox support their first SPL title in four years.

And Smith sighed: "That was a campaign that will no doubt crop up again. Whoever follows has a hell of a track record to handle.

"The campaign we saw last season is maybe indicative of what Rangers is all about. It doesn't really matter what you do, for a lot of people that will not be good enough.

"Last season, you could turn round and look at Rangers in the two and a half years we'd been back. The club had won four trophies and reached a UEFA Cup final but at the start of the following season you get a 'We Deserve Better' campaign. We'll get another of those.

"That's why I think when someone makes a decision to step down, chairman, manager or whatever, if they've had a level of success that's what they should be remembered for."

Alastair Johnston has replaced Murray - who still owns 90 per cent of the Ibrox club - as chairman.

But with Murray actively seeking a buyer Smith said: "We'll just have to wait and see what happens."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...ight-spark.html

By ANDY DEVLIN

A staggering 18 major honours during two spells in charge at his beloved Rangers make him one of the game's true greats.

But Walter Smith reckons he'd be clocking in for work at Dalmarnock Power Station had it not been for Sir David Murray.

After more than 20 years at the helm, the multi-millionaire steel tycoon dramatically announced on Wednesday that he was standing down as Gers chairman. A bombshell decision that Smith is still trying to come to terms with.

And last night the Rangers boss paid tribute to the man he says he owes his glittering career to.

Smith said: "There is an element of change that hasn't been here for a long time so it will take a bit of getting used to.

"Another manager who had been here for the length of time I have been here second time around might not feel that.

"But he was instrumental in giving me the job as Rangers manager so it will be strange for me.

"When Graeme Souness left, the environment was different to now and he could have gone anywhere to get a new manager.

"I had no track record as a manager. He could have gone for someone with a track record behind them.

"He took a chance on me, gave me an opportunity to get into management, the opportunity I wanted, which could not have been an easy decision to make.

"I'll always be grateful to him for that. I don't know where I'd be now if he hadn't taken that chance.

In two decades he's seen Gers equal Celtic's record nine championships in a row, spent £100million of his own cash and watched the club return to a major European final for the first time in 36 years.

And Smith insisted: "To be chairman and owner for 20 years is quite remarkable given the pressures that have been on him and considering the changes that have occurred in football within that time.

"When anyone takes on a position at Rangers they know that they have to be successful. Whether you are chairman, owner, both, manager, player, you have to be successful and you are charged with that responsibility.

"If you look at the number of trophies he has won, he has been extremely successful.

Yet despite millions spent in the trophy-laden years, Murray became a target as the club ran up debts.

Following Gers' humiliating European exit at the hands of FBK Kaunas last season it all came to a head.

A 'We Deserve Better' campaign was launched with angry fans calling for Murray's resignation.

Yet Rangers would rally and delivered the Ibrox support their first SPL title in four years.

And Smith sighed: "That was a campaign that will no doubt crop up again. Whoever follows has a hell of a track record to handle.

"The campaign we saw last season is maybe indicative of what Rangers is all about. It doesn't really matter what you do, for a lot of people that will not be good enough.

"Last season, you could turn round and look at Rangers in the two and a half years we'd been back. The club had won four trophies and reached a UEFA Cup final but at the start of the following season you get a 'We Deserve Better' campaign. We'll get another of those.

"That's why I think when someone makes a decision to step down, chairman, manager or whatever, if they've had a level of success that's what they should be remembered for."

Alastair Johnston has replaced Murray - who still owns 90 per cent of the Ibrox club - as chairman.

But with Murray actively seeking a buyer Smith said: "We'll just have to wait and see what happens."

Fail Andy Devlin. At no time did the WDB campaign call for Murray's resignation. Do your research. :rolleyes:

By ANDY DEVLIN

Fail Andy Devlin. At no time did the WDB campaign call for Murray's resignation. Do your research. :rolleyes:

It wasn't even a campaign, did it not last one game?

By ANDY DEVLIN

No.

By ANDY DEVLIN

No.

It looked like one game to me :lol:

By ANDY DEVLIN

No.

Regardless of whatyou think of it, my point is that Andy Devlin is incorrect when he says that it called for SDM's resignation.

Regardless of whatyou think of it, my point is that Andy Devlin is incorrect when he says that it called for SDM's resignation.

So Andy Devlin lied. You lied in an earlier thread. Two peas in a pod. What's your point?

By ANDY DEVLIN

No.

So how many games were the banners out?? I didn't miss one game home or away (minus Kaunaus away) last season and seen the banners once???

So Andy Devlin lied. You lied in an earlier thread. Two peas in a pod. What's your point?

Boss 1 COTW 0 :pipe:

By ANDY DEVLIN

No.

He is also wrong in saying it was a campaign though.

Looks like your 'promotion' to website director has gone to your head a little. I ignored your earlier attempts to suggest that because of my misuse of the word policy that I was suddenly a liar, but you really should move on and stop being so bitter. I am not saying that Andy Devlin lied, merely that he was incorrect in what he said.

Looks like your 'promotion' to website director has gone to your head a little. I ignored your earlier attempts to suggest that because of my misuse of the word policy that I was suddenly a liar, but you really should move on and stop being so bitter. I am not saying that Andy Devlin lied, merely that he was incorrect in what he said.

Why ye not answering the rest of us then?

Why ye not answering the rest of us then?

Do you mean the point about the banners? Some of the fans groups made them. The RST made the statement and stick by it. However, if you think the Club is being run well and that none of the points were valid, fine. We'll agree to disagree.

"It doesn't really matter what you do. For a lot of people, that won't be good enough."

I know what you mean, Walter. Throw away the SPL by flogging 16 exhausted players and leaving out more than capable reserves, then despite picking the great Christian Dailly and Lee McCulloch in midfield, inexplicably get knocked out of the CL by Kaunas and what happens? Those damned ungrateful fans dare to complain!

Don't they realise everything David Murray did for the club? I mean, the man ended 80 years of sectarianism, eh Walter?

"It doesn't really matter what you do. For a lot of people, that won't be good enough."

I know what you mean, Walter. Throw away the SPL by flogging 16 exhausted players and leaving out more than capable reserves, then despite picking the great Christian Dailly and Lee McCulloch in midfield, inexplicably get knocked out of the CL by Kaunas and what happens? Those damned ungrateful fans dare to complain!

Don't they realise everything David Murray did for the club? I mean, the man ended 80 years of sectarianism, eh Walter?

:)