Nacho on Tuesday & the return game in Spain

Boab

Published on 26 Sep 2009

It has been a while since that familiar music was heard around Ibrox.

But when the distinctive Champions League theme tune blares out on Tuesday night as Rangers host Sevilla in Europe’s premier football competition, it will be music to the ears of the club in more ways than one.

Financially, this is the Promised Land, the chance to balance the books and rake in a sum somewhere in the region of £17m.

For the players, it means just as much. It is a chance to play on the biggest stage of all, against the biggest clubs and the biggest names.

Nacho Novo is desperate for a start against the team from his homeland. The little Spaniard has returned from injury and knows that a win against Sevilla would set Rangers up nicely for a crack at making the last 16.

With a point already collected from their efforts in Stuttgart, Rangers go into the game in buoyant mood. Sevilla, though, will fancy their chances of leaving Glasgow with all three points.

The club have happy memories of the city, having retained the Uefa Cup with a triumph at Hampden two years ago against Espanyol, but Novo still believes the Spaniards will be unprepared for the resistance he believes they will meet on Wednesday night.

It isn’t so much that it is a chance to prove myself, but just that I like getting the chance to go to my home country and it means that my family and friends will get the chance to come and see me.

Nacho Novo

“Sevilla are a great team,” said Novo. “They have some fantastic players and they will feel quite confident coming to Glasgow.

“The Spanish league is one of the top leagues in Europe and I think they might feel that coming to Scotland will be okay for them, but we have the ability to surprise them. They will fancy that they will be able to win the game.

“We can’t afford to be afraid of them and it is up to us to go out and show that we are the home team. We have a lot of European experience now and this is a fantastic chance for us to make a mark in the group.”

Rangers, though, will have to raise their game if they are to triumph on Wednesday night. Since the inception of the Champions League, they have come up against Spanish opposition three times – Valencia, Villarreal and Osasuna – and lost every tie.

There have been three draws – two against Villarreal and one against Osasuna – but Novo believes a win is achievable this time around.

Sevilla are currently sixth in La Liga, having taken six points from their opening three games, but they finished third last term and will feel little anxiety at heading to Glasgow.

“It will be a very good game,” continued Novo. “We know that we are going to be up against a good side but the thing about the Champions League and the big European nights is that it changes the mentality of the players in a way. Everybody raises their game on a night like that. Everybody wants to play a part and that can only be a good thing.

“You could see what we managed to do in Stuttgart when we found a bit of belief in ourselves and there is no reason why we can’t go out and put in that kind of second-half performance against Sevilla from the first minute.

“We want to win the game. That is our intention. If we were to do that we would be in a good position in the group and it would put us on the way to qualifying for the next round.

“Obviously we don’t want to look too far ahead, but when you are in the Champions League, the big thing is that you always have to try and win your home games.

“If you can do that and pick up points when you are away, then you have a great chance of going through. Once you get to the last 16 anything can happen.

“By taking a point in Stuttgart we have given ourselves a good opportunity, but it is only that. We still have a lot of work to do in the group and we still have five very big games to play.”

Novo refutes the idea that he has something to prove against a team from his home country. “I love playing against Spanish sides,” he admitted. “Obviously it is a big thing for my family to see me play against a team from my homeland and I do enjoy it.

“It isn’t so much that it is a chance to prove myself, but just that I like getting the chance to go to my home country and it means that my family and friends will get the chance to come and see me.

“When we play in Spain my parents and my sister will come to the game, that is obviously a great feeling for me. I am happy with what I have achieved in Scotland and with Rangers but I am always hungry to have more success.”

The Spaniard has also urged the Ibrox supporters to play their part in creating that unique Champions League-night atmosphere.

“The atmosphere at Ibrox on a Champions League night is always fantastic,” he said. “People always say that it is like an extra man and that is true because the players get a lot of energy from the stands.

“It is different from any other game. The Champions League is where the best players and the best clubs play. Being able to compete at that level is exciting for everybody.

“The fans are a big part of it and they can inspire us to go that extra bit.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ra...ksEnabled=false

I would love us to go out and show that we are the home team, to try for 3 points because that is the way to progress; win our home games and we will get through.

However, we have a manager with a one dimensional outlook in european games so I expect the usual lone striker and negative midfield with the reliance on a bit of good fortune and the hope of a stuttering opposition strike force.

Rangers, though, will have to raise their game if they are to triumph on Wednesday night. Since the inception of the Champions League, they have come up against Spanish opposition three times – Valencia, Villarreal and Osasuna – and lost every tie.

I forget, where is it that barcelona come from again? doh:lol:

Yes, we got one point out of six against them!

A women wrote the article ;)