Martin Bain is among the absentees as fans boycott Tannadice

zamba

RANGERS are expected to have one of their lowest ever away supports in attendance tonight when they face Dundee United in a rearranged SPL fixture at Tannadice.

The Ibrox club, who were leading 1-0 when the original match was abandoned, have been angered by Dundee United chairman Steven Thompson refusing their request to offer free entry tonight to visiting fans who attended last month. Instead, they will

be charged half price admission, sparking acrimony between Thompson and Martin Bain, the Rangers chief executive.

Bain will miss the game tonight, although Rangers have stressed his absence is not connected with his row with Thompson. They point out that, due to a prior family commitment, Bain was not at Ibrox for Saturday's match against St Johnstone and will again be absent for next Saturday's visit of Motherwell.

"If there are missing fans, we have to handle that," said Rangers manager Walter Smith. "We generally have a terrific away support. It will maybe be a bit strange but I don't think it will have a great effect on how we play.

"I do think the fans have a point and I support them in whatever they decide to do. It is an unfortunate circumstance, but I do support Rangers' stance on this. But it's not really my department. I'm here for the football and it will be a hard enough game for us in any event."

Smith has Steven Naismith available again following injury, but first choice goalkeeper Allan McGregor will again be sidelined by a hamstring problem. Neil Alexander will deputise as Rangers seek the victory which would take them one point ahead of Celtic at the top of the SPL.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Martin-...-the.5911036.jp

there is a story on follow follow that he has gone to new zeland for 3 weeks

RANGERS are expected to have one of their lowest ever away supports in attendance tonight when they face Dundee United in a rearranged SPL fixture at Tannadice.

The Ibrox club, who were leading 1-0 when the original match was abandoned, have been angered by Dundee United chairman Steven Thompson refusing their request to offer free entry tonight to visiting fans who attended last month. Instead, they will

be charged half price admission, sparking acrimony between Thompson and Martin Bain, the Rangers chief executive.

Bain will miss the game tonight, although Rangers have stressed his absence is not connected with his row with Thompson. They point out that, due to a prior family commitment, Bain was not at Ibrox for Saturday's match against St Johnstone and will again be absent for next Saturday's visit of Motherwell.

"If there are missing fans, we have to handle that," said Rangers manager Walter Smith. "We generally have a terrific away support. It will maybe be a bit strange but I don't think it will have a great effect on how we play.

"I do think the fans have a point and I support them in whatever they decide to do. It is an unfortunate circumstance, but I do support Rangers' stance on this. But it's not really my department. I'm here for the football and it will be a hard enough game for us in any event."

Smith has Steven Naismith available again following injury, but first choice goalkeeper Allan McGregor will again be sidelined by a hamstring problem. Neil Alexander will deputise as Rangers seek the victory which would take them one point ahead of Celtic at the top of the SPL.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Martin-...-the.5911036.jp

there is a story on follow follow that he has gone to new zeland for 3 weeks

Smith eh? Imagine that! After all the grief he gets too ;)