How realistic is SPL expansion/league restructuring

Bobby83

Its all very well us banging on about what should be done, but as we know the quality of football in the counry is not the concern of those who have a say in the matter - its lining their own pockets.

A 16-18 team SPL and restructuring in the lower leagues could save Scottish club football and the National team but while Scottish football moves to a slow but sure death, the quo seems to be preferred than a short term dent in finances for potential long term gain.

For this reason, imo, it sadly will never happen.

It will NEVER happen , the clubs that moan about the split are the very ones who refuse to expand the league ( outwith ourselves since wattie had a wee moan) on the basis they are fucking happy as larry when the old firm visit them 4 times a year to fill their coffers as their own fans can't be arsed to turn up and support their team , unless they have a good season ( see utd) and this and only this is the very reason we will forever be stuck with this shitey split and uneven fixture list for most clubs .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8619954.stm

Any vote to scrap the Scottish Premier League split would not find the required majority, despite its chief executive being in favour of change.

The league splits into two after 33 matches and Motherwell, Rangers and St Mirren are unhappy at the final five fixtures handed out this season.

SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster says he would welcome a new structure.

But change needs an 11-1 majority and five out of eight clubs polled have told the BBC they want the split kept.

The split for the final five matches of the season has been in place since 2001, but the BBC canvassed the 12 clubs after it came in for particularly stiff criticism after this season's fixtures were announced on Saturday.

"If there is an opportunity to change the current system for the better then I think it's important we grab it," Doncaster told BBC Scotland.

I would certainly like to look at whether or not we have the optimum structure for Scottish football

Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster

"I think there's a general view from many supporters that the whole SPL is very slightly stale and in need of some refreshment. "I buy into that. I'm with those who question the way the split works.

"Any change, whatever it may be - ultimately that's for the clubs to decide whether they want it.

"We need 11 votes to make any kind of change. There may be a way of creating a split with a new system which doesn't have those imbalances, and those will be worth exploring as well.

"The 12 team league, the split, the current format - that will be here for as long as the clubs don't vote for anything else.

"We will continue to consult with the clubs and talk about what positive change we can bring in.

"And, hopefully at some point in the future we can come to the clubs with ideas for change, we'll have a consensus to take things forward in a positive way."

St Mirren are unhappy at having to play a third game of the season away to relegation rivals Falkirk, while Motherwell believe they stand to lose about £200,000 as result of their remaining fixtures.

The Fir Park club are unhappy that they will travel to face Celtic for a third time and lose out on a home match against the Old Firm, which is seen as major cash generator.

It means Motherwell have been handed just 18 home games instead of 19.

"I do have sympathy for Motherwell's plight, but there are always going to be imbalances," said Doncaster.

"Because of the way the split operates, as soon as Aberdeen were not in the top six this year, there was automatically going to be an imbalance.

"There was no way that we could have created 19 home and 19 away for every club."

The SPL chief executive says he will canvass opinion from the clubs to find ways to improve the current system.

"I would certainly like to look at whether or not we have the optimum structure for Scottish football," he said.

"My view is that possibly we haven't, but the clubs must vote for change for change to happen."

Apparent some clubs dont want the split changed which is quite unbelievable

of course clubs dont want ANYTHING changed in regards to the SPL

playing the old firm a total of 4 times a season at your ground, is a lot of money

and for the lucky top 6 team that gets an old firm team at their ground 3 times a season, its a fucking gold mine

making the SPL a 16/18 team league means only 2 visits from the old firm over a season

less tv money/coverage

less attendance money

less food and drink money

its a no brainer,

The same idiots that saw the money Setanta were flashing are the same idiots that dont want the split scrapped.

Out of curiousity was there a vote to introduce the split?, or did the SPL just decide that it was happening?

I don't see why there has to be a vote, the governing bodies should just be saying this is whats happening deal with it.

The same idiots that saw the money Setanta were flashing are the same idiots that dont want the split scrapped.

Out of curiousity was there a vote to introduce the split?, or did the SPL just decide that it was happening?

I don't see why there has to be a vote, the governing bodies should just be saying this is whats happening deal with it.

The SPL Cheif Exec is up for it. They tested the water and 4 chairmen said they wanted things exactly how they are (an 11-1 vote is needed for changes). Its the SPL chairmen that dont want it, the powers that be are perhaps finally realising change that is needed.

In short, nothing will ever happen.