Daily Mirror artical regarding the term "h**" report

bluenose4life

I wanted some clarification so i emailed and asked her

Hi, thanks for your responce.

Can i ask, if you can ask who ever came up with this desision why they assumed it would be offensive to "Roman Catholics" as reported as that was not the nature of the complaint.

Also, since you have endorced the use of the word "h**" in the media, can media outlets use the term "fienien" without any repocution? or woudl we be in breach of the PCC COP

Thanks

Her responce was this

Dear ********,

Thank you for your email.

A number of people complained about the article, some of whom considered it to be discriminatory towards Roman Catholics, hence the reason this was addressed in the decision. While the Commission acknowledged that the term had caused offence to the complainants, it made clear that matters of taste and offence were not something the Commission could address.

As mentioned in the article, Clause 12 (Discrimination) does not cover generalised remarks about any groups or categories of people, but specific references to individuals only.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Cobbe

So we can, in print anyway, call a BUNCH of celtic fans, Fieniens, but can't target one and call him a Fienien. So we can say the Celtic team are fieniens but lenon isnt. Makes sence :) Bring on those fieniens on Sunday!

Also, "Some of whom considered it to be towards cathoics" - eh?!

I wanted some clarification so i emailed and asked her

Her responce was this

So we can, in print anyway, call a BUNCH of celtic fans, Fieniens, but can't target one and call him a Fienien. So we can say the Celtic team are fieniens but lenon isnt. Makes sence :) Bring on those fieniens on Sunday!

Also, "Some of whom considered it to be towards cathoics" - eh?!

so the ppc would do nothing if a group of people was described as n*****s or homos.

shocking.

Update.

Hello, Thank you for your responce.

Can i see a copy of Clause 12 please?

I am utterly shocked and disgusted that it does not cover generalised remarks about any groups of people. What this is saying to me is that a media outlet could publish a very well known racist term N***er and that as this would be aimed towards a bunch of black people, that this would be okay and nothing could be done? I am dumfounded by this.

responce from her...

Thank you for your email.

Discrimination

i) The press must avoid prejudicial or pejorative reference to an individual's race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation or to any physical or mental illness or disability.

ii) Details of an individual's race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental illness or disability must be avoided unless genuinely relevant to the story.

The aim of Clause 12 (Discrimination) is to protect individuals from discriminatory coverage, however, to cover generalised remarks would involve subjective views which would be difficult to adjudicate upon without infringing the freedom of expression of others.

I hope that you find this helpful. I would suggest visiting our website for further information about the Code of Practice.

Kind Regards,

Elizabeth Cobbe