Daily Mirror artical regarding the term "h**" report

bluenose4life

I just received this in an email from the PCC... thought i'd post it here as the original post was on here too in BD

Commission’s decision in the case of

Various v Daily Mirror

The Commission received ten complaints that the use of the term “h**” in the article discriminated variously against Rangers fans, Protestants and Roman Catholics.

The Commission understood that the term “h**” was deemed highly offensive by the complainants, and that its use in the press caused upset to readers, especially to Rangers fans who felt personally discriminated against by the term. It noted the complainants’ argument that the term was considered sectarian by a number of bodies, such as various police forces, and that its use was viewed as widely unacceptable in Scotland. Nonetheless, while the terms of Clause 12 (Discrimination) stipulate that the press must avoid pejorative reference to an individual’s religion, the clause does not cover generalised remarks about groups of people. In this instance, given that the complainants considered that the use of the term “h**” had discriminated against groups of people in general – be it Protestants, Roman Catholics or Rangers fans – the Commission could not establish a breach of Clause 12 (Discrimination) of the Editors’ Code of Practice.

The Commission acknowledged the grounds on which “h**” had caused offence to the complainants; however, it made clear that the terms of the Editors’ Code of Practice do not address issues of taste and offence. The Code is designed to balance the competing rights of freedom of expression, on the one hand, and the rights of individuals on the other. Newspapers and magazines have editorial freedom to publish what they consider to be appropriate provided that the rights of individuals – enshrined in the terms of the Code which specifically protects the individual – are not compromised. To come to a judgement as to whether material is tasteless or offensive would amount to the PCC acting as a moral arbiter, which can lead to censorship. For these reasons, the Commission could not consider this aspect of the complaint.

its strange to me how the use of the word 'censorship' has two detremental effects on what we stand for as rangers fans. On one hand we have sky using censorship to protect the fans of celtic fc from offending and on the other we have the pcc stating that is is a freedom of Speech to use the word 'h***' to descibe a Wide and truly Multicultural body of people who support rangers both within the walls of Ibrox and beyond the shores of this country. What sky and The pcc have done is flipped a Double headed coin, we therefore as rangers fans lose lose. This is a little worrying.

So i can right an article calling celtic fans dirty fenian, tattie picking smelly bastards and face no legal consequences?

I wonder if any newspaper would ever even consider describing celtic fans as any of the above, or tim, or whatever else.

One rule for them, another for us.

how was this offensive to catholics.

Because, believe it or not some Catholics support Rangers. I think there's a couple of guys in this forum who do. So, what this means is that the term 'H**s' represents the broad spectrum of Rangers fans. We know who this offends and they know who this offends.

Once again let me try and explain;

When sang the famine song to them, they knew who were singing it too, but once again this term 'censorship' raises it's ugly head. The only way that anything in the press or on TV has been censored is to protect the lefty, fenien, leftin Scotland. This is why I cant understand why a Catholic can support Rangers because for me the contradiction between religion and politics is to far for it to be viable.

Because, believe it or not some Catholics support Rangers. I think there's a couple of guys in this forum who do. So, what this means is that the term 'H**s' represents the broad spectrum of Rangers fans. We know who this offends and they know who this offends.

When sang the famine song to them, they knew who were singing it too, but once again this term 'censorship' raises it's ugly head. The only way that anything in the press or on TV has been censored is to protect the lefty, fenien, leftin Scotland. This is why I cant understand why a Catholic can support Rangers because for me the contradiction between religion and politics is to far for it to be viable.

My mates catholic and supports rangers, but oddly sing's the non pc version of follow,follow.

Please enlighten me I;

I'm an old fart, been abroad for over 40years and I only know one version of follow follow.

Up the falls! Derrys Walls! We will follow on.

Another statement that clears absolutely nothing up.

So if someone calls me directly a h**, that is offensive/sectarian? BUT if the same person calls a group of Rangers fans collectively h*** then it is not? I'm not even going to try and work out the logic, it's far too early in the day.

Up the falls! Derrys Walls! We will follow on.

Another statement that clears absolutely nothing up.

So if someone calls me directly a h**, that is offensive/sectarian? BUT if the same person calls a group of Rangers fans collectively h*** then it is not? I'm not even going to try and work out the logic, it's far too early in the day.

Thanks bro. (tu)

So what your saying is that every catholic in this country has Irish blood...Funny that cause the biggest opponents to the Irish migration was the Indigenous Catholic population of Scotland. They believed there relegion was being diluted by Irish politics and wanted to distance themselves from Irish nationalisium. Indeed it should be remembered that there would have been many catholic Rangers fans in the clubs early years. They had no reson not to follow Rangers after all Rangers were formed as a football club and nothing more. As far as i'm concerned I welcome people of all faiths to follow Rangers the more the better.