The Rangers Annual Meeting 1875. Founders Research.

TheMoonlighter

The report in the North British Daily Mail read as follows.

' The second annual 'conversazione' of the members and friends of the Rangers Club was held in the Queens Rooms on the evening of wednesday 1st December 1875. The chairman Mr.Peter McNeil, gave a very interesting address giving a sketch of the club since it's formation. Mr.Vallance ( captain) also gave a short address. The proceedings of the evening were greatly added to by several of the ladies and gentlemen present giving a few songs and recitations'.

The Queens Rooms stands at the corner of La Belle Place and Clifton Street looking on to Kelvingrove Park.

This location will be added to this years Founders Trail.

zn3rlv.jpg

I wonder if the Marquis of Lorne was there? Unlikely I suppose but I think it's fascinating we had connections to someone so important so early in our history and I'm a bit surprised it doesn't get mentioned by historians.

I thought at that time Peter McNiel was the Captain, and Thomas Vallance a Committee Member.

Wonder what songs they were singing?

Tom Vallance due to his stature and undoubted skill was installed as Club captain taking over from Peter McNeil.

Peter was to find that his strengths and skills lay in the administration of the Club and the SFA.

I wonder if the Marquis of Lorne was there? Unlikely I suppose but I think it's fascinating we had connections to someone so important so early in our history and I'm a bit surprised it doesn't get mentioned by historians.

The Club connection with The Marquis of Lorne is covered during the Founders Trail, as you say it's fascinating. There was a link between the Marquis and Peter Campbell's family.

It was very much the done thing for people of prominance to be linked with the new sport sweeping the country which was Association Football.

Gary Ralston also has the story and the Marquis of Lorne's marriage to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Loiuse within his book.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/The-Gallant-Pioneers-by-Gary-Ralston.html

The Club connection with The Marquis of Lorne is covered during the Founders Trail, as you say it's fascinating. There was a link between the Marquis and Peter Campbell's family.

It was very much the done thing for people of prominance to be linked with the new sport sweeping the country which was Association Football.

Gary Ralston also has the story and the Marquis of Lorne's marriage to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Loiuse within his book.

http://www.thegallan...ry-Ralston.html

Ah right, that makes sense. I used to wonder if he was actually the John Campbell that was in the team but that seems a bit fantastic. :)

His life was really interesting. As you say he married Louise. That was an even bigger deal than usual as it was the first time a commoner had married a princess in 350 years. He was a Liberal MP and later became the Governor General of Canada. I did see the articles you posted about him helping to try an organise a Rangers tour of Canada so obviously there was more to his association than just having his name on Rangers paperwork.

Maybe it's the rumours about his sexuality that has contributed to the association being a relatively unknown part of the history. ;)

Ah right, that makes sense. I used to wonder if he was actually the John Campbell that was in the team but that seems a bit fantastic. :)

His life was really interesting. As you say he married Louise. That was an even bigger deal than usual as it was the first time a commoner had married a princess in 350 years. He was a Liberal MP and later became the Governor General of Canada. I did see the articles you posted about him helping to try an organise a Rangers tour of Canada so obviously there was more to his association than just having his name on Rangers paperwork.

Maybe it's the rumours about his sexuality that has contributed to the association being a relatively unknown part of the history. ;)

John and James Campbell, both brothers of our founder Peter, played for the Rangers during our early years.

I thought at that time Peter McNiel was the Captain, and Thomas Vallance a Committee Member.

Wonder what songs they were singing?

I remember reading a piece twenty years past about a favourite song sung by the Rangers Glee Club. A mix of Committee men, Players, and staff would gather around a piano and sing, 'the Bonnie Wells o' Wearie'. Apparently, the song transferred on to the terraces of Kinning Park and Ibrox. Further, another memory is a newspaper piece in the Mitchell on the 1928 Scottish Cup final, telling how this same song echoed around Hampden after the third and fourth goals were scored.

1875 was John's final year I think. Unless it was the year before and that actually was the MoL JC. ;) Seriously...was John the eldest?

No there were older brothers William and Alex.

William drowned in an accident in the German port of Gestenmonde.

Alex also died young at the age of 28 from TB, both were engineers.

I remember reading a piece twenty years past about a favourite song sung by the Rangers Glee Club. A mix of Committee men, Players, and staff would gather around a piano and sing, 'the Bonnie Wells o' Wearie'. Apparently, the song transferred on to the terraces of Kinning Park and Ibrox. Further, another memory is a newspaper piece in the Mitchell on the 1928 Scottish Cup final, telling how this same song echoed around Hampden after the third and fourth goals were scored.

I've researched and asked many about the likelihood of what song/songs would have been sung.

'The Bonnie Wells o' Wearie' continually crops up.

I've researched and asked many about the likelihood of what song/songs would have been sung.

'The Bonnie Wells o' Wearie' continually crops up.

Certainly, it fits; a soft lilting tradional aire. The fly in the ointment is the song's setting being Edinburgh.

Both the Victorian and Edwardian sensitivities were over sentimental, stepping over the boundary into mawkish. The Bonnie Wells o'Wearie ticks those boxes.

Campbell and Woods centenary biography on ra Sellik, 'the Glory and the Dream' contains a reasoning for a Rangers xi being invited to hansel the first Sellik Park. The after match norm was a High Tea and Harmony, in this case, in St Mary's Halls. The Rangers Glee Club were great favourites and were much appreciated, even by our seperated brethern.

No there were older brothers William and Alex.

William drowned in an accident in the German port of Gestenmonde.

Alex also died young at the age of 28 from TB, both were engineers.

I meant of the three players as I noticed he finished playing first. Interesting stuff though.