Club v Country

doddsyRFC

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can believe that, but I know a lot of Rangers fans who still passionately support the national team.

I personally wouldnt let the 'trannies' affect the love of my country. Its like any large scale support, there is always going to be morons among the masses.

Theres a minority of the Rangers support who are idiots, but I wouldnt let them put me off supporting my club, so why should it be any different when it comes to my country?

Fair play to you as you are entitled to support who you wish and is your choice.

Fair play to you as you are entitled to support who you wish and is your choice.

Cheers mate, same with yourself.

In an ideal world, the whole of the Tartan Army would be Rangers friendly but we dont live in a perfect world eh?! :sherlock:

I'll put my tin hat on here and tell the truth.

Last night at the game I shouted mccourts name, why shouldn't I? He plays for the country he was born in, he comes from a republican area and still has the balls to wear the green shirt.

As for the comment about clingan and mcginn on the national anthem? Doesn't bother me 1 bit, if they give their all for 90minutes and cross themselves 500 times it'll not bother me in the slightest...

Too much people get mixed up in nationality and religion, ill get pelted now but I'm telling the truth and what I thinks right...

Ill even go as far as saying my country comes before my club, but that doesn't make me any less of a gers man than the next

Club > Country.

Like a lot of people have said, I would rather Rangers win the league than Northern Ireland win the WC or EURO's for example. I just can't sing Celtics players name or hope that they do well because every other saturday you will hope they break their legs or get sent off etc. Also, these pathetic excuses that NI fans have been saying to me like 'I hate Jonny Evans when he plays for Man Utd as I'm a Liverpool but cheer when he plays for Northern Ireland', them two arnt like Rangers and celtic. I would feel like a hypocrite if I cheered him, or McGinns name.

Again I'll get pelted but I'd rather see NI QUALIFY, yes qualify for a major competition... It's a once in a lifetime shot... Doesn't mean I don't want us to win the treble every year either but lol

Obviously Rangers come first, but why shouldn't I want to see my country win? I support Scotland not the tartan trannies. I wouldn't chant no taigs name though, but if he scored I would celebrate and be happy for Scotland. It is kinda wank what they do with what is their own national anthem.

I do love Scotland, but of course Rangers comes first.

Even in a Scotland shirt, I still fucking detest Scott Brown. I wish he would go and receive a career-ending injury and fuck right off.

So no, I wouldn't chant a Celtic player's name, even at a Scotland match.

of around 25 per cent are rangers fans.

Prove it. Or did you just pick some random number out your head to try and prove a point?

Oh, and my previous statement still stands, fuck them.

Both the SFA and a number of messageboards have conducted polls in recent years - the SFA one was part of a travel club update. I think across all of these we came out around the 25% mark. Aberdeen usually showed up second but a fair bit behind, then Celtic, Hearts and a few of the other SPL teams. There's a decent size support now living in England who indicated support to their local teams.

From my own experience travelling overseas I tend to find the Rangers contingent slightly higher than 25%, maybe more choose to travel because they're used to with the club, maybe I just happen to sit with more bears, who knows. And to be honest, who cares. When supporting Scotland I'm a Scot, and everyone within the support is like minded.

I fully get that some folk don't like international football. We clearly don't play as a nation at the highest level, but that's life. I'm Scottish, I love my country. I'd support the team if we were 1st, of 150th in the world. Likewise, I'd support Rangers whether we were the best in the world, or the worst. Have been through the bad years with us, and to be honest, in a strange way quite liked being around a higher percentage of fans who were sticking by the club when it was hard to do. I reckon maybe that's why I enjoy following Scotland. Lots of folk choose Rangers now because we win, and they'll be away like snow off a dyke if we go through a tough patch. Back again when were winning. That's their choice. It's the exact same with Scotland.

Club v Country isn't really a choice for football fans. In 99% of cases you can do both. Do one. Or indeed do neither. I think a lot of folk love the 'debate' because they can show how much 'better a fan' they are because they pure hate Scotland - while conversely singing their hearts out about Ulster ; ) - but everyone with half a brain can see that those kind of statements just scream insecurity and a slightly desperate attempt to be seen as somehow more of a bluenose. Thankfuly from Moses to McCoist, the club and it's players see supporting and playing for the Scottish national team as something to be very proud of, as do many of the fans that gather at Ibrox week in week out.

Both the SFA and a number of messageboards have conducted polls in recent years - the SFA one was part of a travel club update. I think across all of these we came out around the 25% mark. Aberdeen usually showed up second but a fair bit behind, then Celtic, Hearts and a few of the other SPL teams. There's a decent size support now living in England who indicated support to their local teams.

From my own experience travelling overseas I tend to find the Rangers contingent slightly higher than 25%, maybe more choose to travel because they're used to with the club, maybe I just happen to sit with more bears, who knows. And to be honest, who cares. When supporting Scotland I'm a Scot, and everyone within the support is like minded.

I fully get that some folk don't like international football. We clearly don't play as a nation at the highest level, but that's life. I'm Scottish, I love my country. I'd support the team if we were 1st, of 150th in the world. Likewise, I'd support Rangers whether we were the best in the world, or the worst. Have been through the bad years with us, and to be honest, in a strange way quite liked being around a higher percentage of fans who were sticking by the club when it was hard to do. I reckon maybe that's why I enjoy following Scotland. Lots of folk choose Rangers now because we win, and they'll be away like snow off a dyke if we go through a tough patch. Back again when were winning. That's their choice. It's the exact same with Scotland.

Club v Country isn't really a choice for football fans. In 99% of cases you can do both. Do one. Or indeed do neither. I think a lot of folk love the 'debate' because they can show how much 'better a fan' they are because they pure hate Scotland - while conversely singing their hearts out about Ulster ; ) - but everyone with half a brain can see that those kind of statements just scream insecurity and a slightly desperate attempt to be seen as somehow more of a bluenose. Thankfuly from Moses to McCoist, the club and it's players see supporting and playing for the Scottish national team as something to be very proud of, as do many of the fans that gather at Ibrox week in week out.

Maybe some of us are proud to be Scottish, but aren't too proud of other Scotsmen who follow their country?

Excellent post mate.