A bigot, tells bigots not to be a bigot

Manager calls for end to offensive chanting

By: Newsroom Staff on 17 May, 2011 17:18

THE manager was delighted with the show of solidarity from the supporters on Sunday but in recent games there has been some offensive chanting and the manager has called for a halt to this.

Neil Lennon said: “Despite not lifting the league title on Sunday, it was a day which demonstrated all that was great about our club.

“The support was magnificent and I sincerely thank the fans for all their backing in once again making Celtic Park the place it should be.

“Obviously we are all disappointed that we let the league slip but I know the players will do all they can at the weekend to try and bring silverware to the club.

“I want to take this opportunity to send my sincere thanks to all our supporters and also thank the many thousands of you who have committed to joining us again next season by buying season books already. Your support is greatly appreciated.

“Celtic is rightly proud of its unique history and also of its open, inclusive and welcoming spirit. It is this which we hold dear.

“While we are delighted with the support we have received throughout the season, it is very important that we ensure that Celtic is always a positive club for all.

“We all know it has been a very difficult season for Celtic and we all know what has gone on. However, we must ensure that we do all we can to uphold the club's reputation.

“In recent times, unfortunately there has been a re-emergence from a small minority, of some of the singing and chanting which is simply not acceptable around our club.

“This has no place at Celtic Park or at any of our matches and it must be tackled. All this does is tarnish the great name of Celtic and embarrasses the club.

“As we move towards next season it is vitally important that we ensure we do so positively. However small the minority of people involved, this behaviour has no place at Celtic and I am sure as we move towards a new season and new beginning, everyone associated with the Club will recognise this.

“We move to next season with confidence, we will try again to bring fast, attacking, entertaining and positive football - and ultimately, football that brings you the supporters the success which your backing deserves.

“Thank you for you continued positive support.”

Very similar to the messages rangers put out that we were told the tims would never do....covering there arses just like the people at Rangers

Still, it is great to see the are attempting to address it. I doubt it will stop anything though.

Funny how Liewell claimed recently they didn't have a problem?

The recent media coverage of their singing has forced their hand.

I didn't really see much, not at the same level we have been given.

I agree there's not been as much coverage but the fact there has at least been some, given the current climate, it has forced them to comment.

I didn't really see much, not at the same level we have been given.

Little snippets here and there, I'm guessing they don't want to get it on the same scale as us.

The Herald referred to their singing on Sunday.