Ally Mccoist Back From Holiday Today

Broxi1872

ALLY McCOIST arrived back in Scotland and got down to business today – with the capture of Carlos Cuellar his main priority.

The Rangers manager returned from holiday ahead of pre-season training with his players, who report back to Murray Park on Monday.

McCoist immediately headed into a meeting with Rangers’ new director of football Gordon Smith, and owner Craig Whyte, for an update on where Rangers are in terms of their signing targets.

And the mission to bring back Cuellar from Aston Villa – which has always been his main aim in the early days of the summer market – will now be stepped up with the news the Spanish defender is well ahead of schedule as he recovers from keyhole knee surgery.

Villa have rejected Gers’ initial offer of just under £2m for former star Cuellar, who is into the final year of his deal, but McCoist has been very encouraged by Cuellar’s desire to come back to Scotland and hopes a deal can be struck at around £2.5m in the next few days.

Cuellar revealed: “It has been a month since the surgery and my recovery is going very well. I am gaining strength and will be training again in a couple of weeks.”

Whyte said of the pursuit of the Spaniard: “We’ve got an offer in for Carlos and we’ll see what happens. I think there’s a deal to be done with Villa.”

McCoist also wants to bring back Kyle Bartley from Arsenal to strengthen the central defensive area, but has found it difficult to get an answer from Arsene Wenger.

He will continue to pursue that avenue next week, but there is no interest in Ghana defender John Mensah, or Israeli stopper Rami Gershon.

Rangers were also locked in talks with free agent Neil Danns today, and remain hopeful they can strike a deal with the midfielder who has just left Crystal Palace.

But they may have to move quickly if they want to sign David Goodwillie from Dundee United after Cardiff City made a move for the striker last night.

Rangers have had a £1.25m bid rejected for the triple Young Player of the Year, and Cardiff are believed to be willing to match United’s £2m valuation.

There have been no new moves made to Hearts for Lee Wallace.