Eric Caldow

minstral

Was reading a thread on the board where someone posted that Eric Caldow one of our great players could not lace A.Numan boots, and could not believe what i was reading.

Eric played in 407 competitive games for our club, scored 25 goals yet never scored from open play.

He also played in 2 of the greatest ever Rangers teams, the first one included the likes of McColl,Woodburn, Waddell and Cox.

The second team the likes of Baxter, Greig, McKinnon, Henderson.

When you think he won 5 titles, 2 Scotish, and 3 league cup medals. He also played for Scotland 40 times and was captain 16 times for his country.

Eric was also the first Rangers player to represent his country at the World Cup Finals, and captained Rangers to first European Final. Also Eric was never booked in his career. Not a bad player for someone who could not lace the boots of Numan.

Was reading a thread on the board where someone posted that Eric Caldow one of our great players could not lace A.Numan boots, and could not believe what i was reading.

Eric played in 407 competitive games for our club, scored 25 goals yet never scored from open play.

He also played in 2 of the greatest ever Rangers teams, the first one included the likes of McColl,Woodburn, Waddell and Cox.

When you think he won 5 titles, 2 Scotish, and 3 league cup medals. He also played for Scotland 40 times and was captain 16 times for his country.

Eric was also the first Rangers player to represent his country at the World Cup Finals, and captained Rangers to first European Final. Also Eric was never booked in his career. Not a bad player for someone who could not lace the boots of Numan.

I would second this - a true gentleman of a player and very fast. He could run backwards as fast as many opposing wingers could run forward and was sure-footed in the tackle.

My old man's favourite player, min. He reckons he was a generation ahead of his time. I've also read that he had the ability to run backwards as fast as most wingers could go forwards!

Casey your old man was spot on about Eric, and that is true about him running backward at speed.

You can't even compare modern fullbacks to players from era's gone by. The game has changed so much, and while I don't doubt Caldow was a cracking players, you wouldn't go a full career without a booking these days - not the way the game is played.

Sometimes its hard to believe the idiotic comments on here.Who ever wrote that shit about Caldow clearly never saw him play.He epitomised everything that was a Rangers legend including his exemplary on field conduct and level of football.He was also a great Captain of Scotland but more than that he defined the meaning of the word gentleman.He would walk into the present Rangers side and even Numan would be hard pushed to be first pick over him.

I think its unfair to compare generations. My granda is adamanat the players in todays game are so much fitter and stronger than back then. However these guys are club legends and should be remembered as such and not compared to our modern day greats.

To play 407 times for the Rangers is some going :praise: :praise: :praise:

You can't even compare modern fullbacks to players from era's gone by. The game has changed so much, and while I don't doubt Caldow was a cracking players, you wouldn't go a full career without a booking these days - not the way the game is played.

Lineker managed it too.

Minstral - not only was Eric never booked, he was never even spoken too by a Ref throughout his career. Brilliant player for club and country, and a nice guy as well.

I see Eric regularly. He lives in my village. Still wears his big RFC necklace as well.

While I find it absurd that someone made the claim about Numan being the better fullback, I actually thought David Robertson was better than Numan.

Minstral - not only was Eric never booked, he was never even spoken too by a Ref throughout his career. Brilliant player for club and country, and a nice guy as well.

I see Eric regularly. He lives in my village. Still wears his big RFC necklace as well.

Booler i used to go and watch Eric training and he would speak to you and was a nice man.

My granda is adamanat the players in todays game are so much fitter and stronger than back then.

Your Granda is correct, but any player only adheres to the training/coaching regime of the club they are at and the years they are there. Guys like Jim Baxter, Bobby Charlton and Tony Currie would still be brilliant players - but fit to modern standards.

PS: Players back then were also a lot less injury prone - and that's playing in fitba where tackling was, well, of the committed variety.