Things to consider

Todays result was obviously a good one and when you add in a good performance it is only natural that we all feel good, so just to bring a bit of Victor Meldrew-esque balance to the day I thought Id add in a few thoughts from myself.

Scoreline - A good one, indeed a 3-0 scoreline against a close challenger. However we have had some joy lately against Motherwell, last 5 fixtures in league now see us win all 5 with an aggregate score of 21-1 in our favour. Before the game we should have been looking at an easy-ish win. On that note though, had Higdon's effort went in at 1-0 then recent faultering could have arisen again.

Team performance - A good one, albeit 2nd half tailed off for me but will take it as it is an improvement from recent games. The style of play was enjoyable as we kept it on the deck and looked to pass into feet and also into space for others to move into, this then raises the issue of why now? Surely if we know we can play like this why hasn't it been utilised more by the management team?

Individual performances - Again many positives but we still lined up with a CB at RB, a LB at LM, and a LM at RM. If result had gone against us then those issues would be getting highlighted - they are still a concern needing addressed.

Lafferty has been receiving criticism on here today but I thought he was looking lively at the start - indeed more lively than Healy but that could be down to Lafferty being more up to match speed.

Fleck has been praised on here for imo doing what he has been doing whenever he has played previously ie keeping it simple, getting the ball under control and looking to play it on, yet I would argue that if result had been poor he would have been still getting the treatment from some.

Healy - Praised for his goal, and looking lively. Well yeah, he should be looking lively, thats the minimum requirement from a player. Is he the long term answer? Id still argue no but I'm open to being proven wrong by him.

Coaching/Management performances - Team played well which must see praise directed at management as when results are poor they see the bulk of criticism. I see criticism of Ally as McMillan played ahead of McKay - Imo, criticism would have been there had he chosen to play experience over youth so it's one where he couldnt win either way.

One critique I have is playing Kerkar - I really hope that wasn't a "joke" thing by them due to his only other app's being against Motherwell, evidence of us being comfortable at the time could suggest this but will give them benefit of the doubt. I'd have rather seen McKay introduced even if just to show some solidarity and giving reassurances to us that there isnt any major issue between player and manager, as it is there is still element of gossip surrounding issue.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth, it's always easy to be down on ourselves after defeat and get elated after wins. Hopefully the whole team from management down to youth player see's that we should be playing that type of football at least 95% of the time.

Todays result was obviously a good one and when you add in a good performance it is only natural that we all feel good, so just to bring a bit of Victor Meldrew-esque balance to the day I thought Id add in a few thoughts from myself.

Scoreline - A good one, indeed a 3-0 scoreline against a close challenger. However we have had some joy lately against Motherwell, last 5 fixtures in league now see us win all 5 with an aggregate score of 21-1 in our favour. Before the game we should have been looking at an easy-ish win. On that note though, had Higdon's effort went in at 1-0 then recent faultering could have arisen again.

Team performance - A good one, albeit 2nd half tailed off for me but will take it as it is an improvement from recent games. The style of play was enjoyable as we kept it on the deck and looked to pass into feet and also into space for others to move into, this then raises the issue of why now? Surely if we know we can play like this why hasn't it been utilised more by the management team?

Individual performances - Again many positives but we still lined up with a CB at RB, a LB at LM, and a LM at RM. If result had gone against us then those issues would be getting highlighted - they are still a concern needing addressed.

Lafferty has been receiving criticism on here today but I thought he was looking lively at the start - indeed more lively than Healy but that could be down to Lafferty being more up to match speed.

Fleck has been praised on here for imo doing what he has been doing whenever he has played previously ie keeping it simple, getting the ball under control and looking to play it on, yet I would argue that if result had been poor he would have been still getting the treatment from some.

Healy - Praised for his goal, and looking lively. Well yeah, he should be looking lively, thats the minimum requirement from a player. Is he the long term answer? Id still argue no but I'm open to being proven wrong by him.

Coaching/Management performances - Team played well which must see praise directed at management as when results are poor they see the bulk of criticism. I see criticism of Ally as McMillan played ahead of McKay - Imo, criticism would have been there had he chosen to play experience over youth so it's one where he couldnt win either way.

One critique I have is playing Kerkar - I really hope that wasn't a "joke" thing by them due to his only other app's being against Motherwell, evidence of us being comfortable at the time could suggest this but will give them benefit of the doubt. I'd have rather seen McKay introduced even if just to show some solidarity and giving reassurances to us that there isnt any major issue between player and manager, as it is there is still element of gossip surrounding issue.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth, it's always easy to be down on ourselves after defeat and get elated after wins. Hopefully the whole team from management down to youth player see's that we should be playing that type of football at least 95% of the time.

Pretty carefully considered stuff but really, let's just enjoy today, its been a while since we've won so well!

I disagree on Kerkar, he's worth a place as much as McKay is + many have told us McKay isn't a left sided midfielder. I have no problems with him coming on to replace Wallace

Had Motherwell went 1-0 up??? They didnt,had our goal counted at the piggery as it should we would be top of the table.

We got the result and performance we needed as far as i can see,lets take it from there instead of ifs and buts.

I don't see why McKay is any more deserving of a place than Kerkar? Both have barely played. Unless you see them every day of the week you've not had the opportunity to compare the two.

indeed. Plus, having seen Kerkar in his very limited playing time, I think he's actually pretty decent. Was good in our friendlies earlier in the season. I genuinely think he'd do fine if we played him from the start in games.

McKay could be excellent but i'm kind of sick to death of everyone telling us how amazing he is. Only thing we can go on is the coaches who see him in training every day. I feel like he could be excellent, and it is a bit frustrating that he's not playing, but I am nobody to judge as i simply don't know what he does every day in training

Good points re positions & personnel - I wonder if Bartley's agreement means he has to play when fit - suppose he would be better waing Arsenal's bench or playing in Premiership reserve league than getting stuck on our bench? Overall team effort meant it didn't matter, but on another day the square peg round hole approach may 've been found out.

Wallace growing on me at left mid - technically 2 goals in previous 2 games, assist today - more consistent output than Wylde & way more solid tracking back.

Aluko, given right direction looks capable of anything - decision making & team awareness streets ahead of Wednesday - hope if keeps improving.

Subs a little baffling - Fleck perhaps obvious, but given proposed move, maybe not? Did really well & looked sharper than receding cameos.

McMillan - would've preferred to see him at RB but see comment re Bartley. Unluckily booked I thought & did ok but should McKay have been natural pick for CM?

Same with Kerkar - not a bad effort & looked as good as some we've seen of late, but again, if we're serious about McKay, why didn't he get a runout?

Overall it came off today in the face of a severe kicking - feel better about things than any time since Naisy got crocked.

Good points re positions & personnel - I wonder if Bartley's agreement means he has to play when fit - suppose he would be better waing Arsenal's bench or playing in Premiership reserve league than getting stuck on our bench? Overall team effort meant it didn't matter, but on another day the square peg round hole approach may 've been found out.

Wallace growing on me at left mid - technically 2 goals in previous 2 games, assist today - more consistent output than Wylde & way more solid tracking back.

Aluko, given right direction looks capable of anything - decision making & team awareness streets ahead of Wednesday - hope if keeps improving.

Subs a little baffling - Fleck perhaps obvious, but given proposed move, maybe not? Did really well & looked sharper than receding cameos.

McMillan - would've preferred to see him at RB but see comment re Bartley. Unluckily booked I thought & did ok but should McKay have been natural pick for CM?

Same with Kerkar - not a bad effort & looked as good as some we've seen of late, but again, if we're serious about McKay, why didn't he get a runout?

Overall it came off today in the face of a severe kicking - feel better about things than any time since Naisy got crocked.

scored at St Mirren, should have had a goal last week and pretty much scored today. 3 in 3 - he's oddly prolific. Maybe he's doing a Bale on us!

Some good points by the OP, but is this a one game wonder as regards football on the deck?

You'd hope that absolute clarity of this being significantly better football than we've played all season would make Ally aware that this is the right way to play. Fingers well and truly crossed. A good run of games to play this football in over the next couple of months too. Time to push on

Thanks for the replies folks, kind of posted that then f**ked off to bed :craphead:

In response to some of the replies;

The Kerkar thing being picked over McKay - Just find it strange that he has been with us for so long and only played against Motherwell? I don't have an issue with Kerkar, just thought with how things have panned out between management and McKay that with us being so comfortable he could have been put on to show that they are above any petty squabbles (if indeed there are any, fact is none of us know either way)

I said that if Higdon had scored things could have panned out differently - Response of but they didn't, all ifs and buts. I'm aware of that but with recent results being poor, added to poor performances then the prospect of them equalising could have seen our guys retreat into their shells, especially if you factor in the crowd response. Players at this level are by and large good players, it is things like confidence and other mental issues that make the difference, yes we got the result and the performance but if Motherwell had equalised it would have been a huge ask of the players attitudes. Ifs and buts?? When the header of the thread reads "things to consider" I'd have thought it would be obvious there would be a bit of hypothetical work involved as well :D

I really hope that the game has opened the eyes to the management that we can play like this if that is the way they want to play. Ally's comments after the game regards having to change gameplan after Lafferty going off is concerning as from my reading between the lines I'd say the hoof it tactic is favoured by him :(

Here's hoping that we can embrace this crazy notion of playing good football for the most part. ;)