Positive mental attitude

IamRangers

As a person I am great believer in positive mental attitude and I feel that this factor is crucial in sports and in particular, football. For example, if you look at the difference that the leaping leprachaun has made at Sunderland in such a short time it shows that a manager with the right attitude can instill confidence to a failing and under confident squad and get players playing for him as well believing in themselves.

With this in mind does anyone think that it is imperative that Ally continues with the positive attitude we “ended up” with on Monday V Motherwell? Whether the outcome was fully intentional, we at last looked like a team that was enjoying their football and the players were keen to be on the ball. For me this was the most pleasing thing about Monday and was a marked contrast to recent under par performances. Players like Davis and Jelavic have been criticised greatly on here for their form but IMO much of that has been down to the way we were playing. By starting out games with a ultra defensive and immobile holding midfielder (McCulloch or Bartley) I think sends out a negative vibe through the team. To me it suggest they are basically there to protect the back 4 and that in turn surely sends out a signal that our manager thinks our back 4 is not good enough? I genuinely feel that if you have a mobile enough midfield, that is protection enough. They should put their foot and press the opposition in as well as be able to create (as Edu did on Monday) We simply cannot afford to waste a jersey on a “body” sitting in front of the defence.

I also believe that being positive in our approach has many important spin offs. Our possession count was at it’s highest in ages on Monday thanks to the way we played and in turn we limited Motherwell to half chances and set pieces. For me it’s simple. If we have control of the ball, the opposition don’t. That might be simplistic but I have watched too many games over the last few years when we have surrendered possession and control of the football to our opponents. The horrible “tactic” of using the high ball is just too much of lottery and has obvious limitations so please Ally stick to playing the ball on the floor with pace and keep pressing the ball. There is a reason we have won 3 titles on the bounce and that has much to do with us having better players than all the other teams. We just need to keep playing a system that demonstrates this

:clap:

That positive mental attitude seemed to flow throughout the team. The difference in Edu for example from the first 10-15 mins when he seemed to lack confidence to even control the ball to later when he looked a very good player.

I hope to see more of this style of football as I could watch it all day.

Good manangers are able to galvanise the troops and give them the confidnce and belief they can go out and beat anyone.

Great managers are able to find the correct tactics to actually go out and beat anyone. Whether people like it or not O'neill is a great manager even if he is a wee dick.

Hopefully McCoist has finally learnt that allowing our players to go out, express themselves and in his words "allow them to get forward" he has seen that we are betting attacking and playing the ball on the deck.

I am far from convinced by McCoist but if he continues on with the same positve attitude showed against Motherwell then I'd be confident he'd change my opinion quite quickly.

I said at he start of the season that if we as a club and football team start improving our standard of play, get footballers into the team, entertain us and get rid of the imposters then I'd be willing to give McCoist another year even if we lost the league. So far he has basically done none of this and we have been playing worse football than we did over the previous few years. The Motherwell match though truly put a huge smile on my face and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are in a transition period right now and dare I say it we all now want to see some exciting football at Ibrox again. Walter steadied the ship now I want to be entertained. I want to win in style now. I've always seen Ally as a positive character, let's hope he now instills that in the players.

:clap:

That positive mental attitude seemed to flow throughout the team. The difference in Edu for example from the first 10-15 mins when he seemed to lack confidence to even control the ball to later when he looked a very good player.

I hope to see more of this style of football as I could watch it all day.

Edu is the sort of player that thrives when he is confident and that has shown in the last few years. I think it is no surprise that some of his panicky football style is there when some of the 'edu boo boys' are giving him pelters from the stands.

Edu is the sort of player that thrives when he is confident and that has shown in the last few years. I think it is no surprise that some of his panicky football style is there when some of the 'edu boo boys' are giving him pelters from the stands.

I imagine most would be the same although it would make a few dig in that bit more