Le Tour de France.

Just watched the highlights...first- I called rolland for the win(im awesome), second-Ive decided sky are doping, they remind me of USPS, I fail to see how froome has come from nowhere to be one of the top cyclists in the world and clown the field in the tour?Hes also had 2 serious illnesses in that time...my heart says no but head says yes. Nice to see brad and the vic getting along.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the highlights...first- I called rolland for the win(im awesome), second-Ive decided sky are doping, they remind me of USPS, I fail to see how froome has come from nowhere to be one of the top cyclists in the world and clown the field in the tour?Hes also had 2 serious illnesses in that time...my heart says no but head says yes. Nice to see brad and the vic getting along.

Bet on nibali to tale yellow today,brad will crack......

Aye, awesome! :P

Great call with Rolland though, mate. His Directeur Sportif also stated yesterday that he we would blow the field away. That was confidence.

Aye, awesome! :P

Great call with Rolland though, mate. His Directeur Sportif also stated yesterday that he we would blow the field away. That was confidence.

I havent perfected my art yet :P

Im delighted for team sky and wiggins,but made are they making this race boring(imagine if uran was cycling aswell)!I expected big things today. Its a pity jvdb had problems on the 1st climb stage or he would be right up there,exciting rider.

A few of the big sprinter knocked out today aswell.

Peraud,Roy or vandenert for me tomorrow, However pinot looking good aswell!

I havent perfected my art yet :P

Im delighted for team sky and wiggins,but made are they making this race boring(imagine if uran was cycling aswell)!I expected big things today. Its a pity jvdb had problems on the 1st climb stage or he would be right up there,exciting rider.

A few of the big sprinter knocked out today aswell.

Peraud,Roy or vandenert for me tomorrow, However pinot looking good aswell!

I'll have a look in the morning, but the French are certainly going strong at the moment and will also be hoping for a win in Saturday's Sprint Stage as it's Bastille Day. I'll be interested to see what BMC do now as it's plain that Evans has little chance of a podium finish.

Bit more on when Froome nearly decided to win it himself today

When he accelerated on La Toussuire with four kilometres to go, Chris Froome left behind Bradley Wiggins, the rest of the group and, it appeared, team orders.

Twenty seconds later, he spoke into the race radio, slowed and the fragments drifted back together.

"They asked me to slow down," Froome said after the finish, referring to Team Sky directeur sportif Sean Yates.

At the finish, Froome distanced Wiggins by a couple of seconds sprinting for the line in the final 300 metres.

He moved up to second overall, 2-05 on his compatriot. The day's big loser was Cadel Evans, falling to fourth and 3-19 down.

Dislodging Evans

When Wiggins was asked whether the attack was planned and who called Froome back, he said: "I didn't call him back, I didn't have my radio in at that point, my piece had fallen out. But we talked about Chris maybe attacking in the final."

"This morning we were planning on Cadel still being there and Chris maybe making the twenty-one seconds up [today] to move to second on GC because Chris wasn't 100% confident he'd get the better of Cadel in the last time-trial. As long as I stayed with Vincenzo and those guys, that was the plan."

Froome still following team orders

Questions fired at him in a finish line scrum, Chris Froome talked about sticking to team orders. "Our plan is to look after Bradley and I'm here to do that."

When asked if he was frustrated, Froome said: "No, I follow orders at all costs. I'm part of the team and I have to do what the team asks me to do... Bradley is just as strong as me and stronger than me in the time-trials."

"You realise you can win the Tour?" a journalist asked.

"... Maybe one day," he replied.

"We feel you're able to win the Tour," another persisted moments later.

"Thanks for the compliment, but I think Bradley's in a better position," Froome said.

Wiggins: "Bit of confusion" at moment of attack

Asked in his post-race press conference what he felt at the moment Froome attacked, Wiggins said "I was really concentrating on my effort and keeping it constant, I'd been riding for two kilometres beforehand... I didn't want to make any more of an acceleration but there was a lot of noise, a lot of things going on the radio and a bit of confusion at that point."

"He showed today that he certainly had the legs. It was another great day for the team," Wiggins added.

In one respect, it's job done: Team Sky controlled attacks from Cadel Evans and Vincenzo Nibali and a pair of British riders now occupy the top two positions in the Tour de France.

But while there's no doubting Sky's strength in depth, hints about internal conflict and questions about whether Sky are riding for the right man may linger on minds after Froome's brief show of strength.

Stage 12 - Medium Mountains - Saint Jean de Maurienne~Annonay Devezieux

After the brutality of yesterday's short Alpine adventure, the riders are faced with the longest stage, at 226km, in this years tour. The GC leaders may opt for a quietish day which means 'long breakaway'.

Two 1st Cat. climbs in the first 80km will test tired legs but with rolling roads to then to the finish, no real damage should be done numbers wise. The sprinters may be looking to the flatter stage 13, so may send someone out front so as not having to chase.

Gerrans, Roelandts, Nuyens, De Kort, Fedrigo, Perez or Chavanel may fancy it and as none of them are up in the rankings, they may just stay away.

Just watched it just now....man I was close to the double!!! Excellent to see Millar win though,rule Britannia. Goss was robbed I think,fancied him in green before this

Agree about Goss. I've seen far worse/better in sprints. Sagan has been a revelation this year, but his squawking at the line was uncalled for. I hope Orica-Greenedge do a wee number on him from here on in.

Stage 13 - Sprint - Saint Paul Trois Chateaux~Le Cap d'Agde

Another long day in the saddle with 217km to cover. Rolling roads until the last 40km where it becomes as flat as a pancake - apart from one short, steep Cat. 3 climb - and runs along the Mediterranean coast.

Two things could cause excitement today. If the crosswind's blow we could see yet another mass tumble in the peloton which would hinder the sprinters pulling in the breakaways, and as it's La Fete Nationale - known to us as Bastille Day - attacks will be coming left, right and centre from Frenchman and riders from French teams. Saur-Sojasun, AG2R and Cofidis will be wanting to get a stage win to save their tour, and there's no better day than today.

I'll go for Chavanel to win, with Casar or Engoulvent others to consider. If the breakaways are unsuccessful, I'll plump for Mark Cavendish on the day that he is announced as the greatest TdF sprinter of all-time by L'Equipe.

Joyeux Le Quatorze Juillet!