Regardless of today's outcome; Will Scottish football survive what follows on?

Gaz92

With today's pending decision (taking nothing for granted in implying that the decision will be made today) it's quite obvious it will be a historic day, and one of the most memorable in Scottish Football. The great Glasgow Rangers officially moving out of the top league into a different division. Despite the clear (and correct) majority of SFL clubs wanting us in the Third Division, I still believe it will end with us in the First Division. With comments like Goian's agent saying he's been told we're 95% likely to be in the First Division, you've got to ponder on where that came from. Does Green already know? Has the talking and organising already been done? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, and although Green said he has the plans for any division we'd enter, I'm pretty sure he'll have everything crossed today that we're the First Division.

As the title said though, is Scottish football signing its own death certificate, whatever way it votes today? Third Division being the more obvious consequences. People in SPL clubs have already lost their jobs simply due to the idea of Rangers being in the Third Division. St Mirren, Motherwell, Aberdeen and probably Kilmarnock have all made noises that they will be in real financial difficulty without what Rangers bring to the league. Teams will begin to fall apart (and quickly), and it wouldn't surprise me if we eventually got a queue of teams who need to start in the Third Division again. The League would fall apart, and whether Celtic like to admit it or not, it would have effect on them. I don't mean the brink of administration, but it's obvious that without any level of competition around it's close to impossible to keep up the same standards, unless some highly unlikely investment is put into the club. Although it is tim right thing to do by sending us to the Third Division, I doubt Scottish Football could survive the aftershocks.

As for Division One, a slightly different kettle of fish. If the SFA get their way, and we end up with the 14 team SPL, it's almost inevitable we'll be back in the top tier after a year. I'm sure the powers-that-be love the idea of us just slipping back in, almost unnoticed after one season. But how can Scottish Football survive what can only be described as corruption? Regan and Longmuir are sweating their small balls off in making sure we're in SFL1, and I don't think they'll stop until it happens. But how can it happen if it currently stands at 2 SFL teams supporting us going to the First Division? There's been murmurs from some Chairmen of threatening and bullying, completely unacceptable and I believe it to be true. If it actually happens and we end up in SFL1, how can anyone trust the governing bodies in Scotland again? Taking the decision out the hands of these clubs is something that could lead to some very nasty ramifications, and the trust between both SPL/SFL sides and the SFA will surely be gone forever. And how can you base a league on a governing body that you cannot trust and is simply reeking of incompetence and corruption?

Anyway, that's my bit of a rant over since I've not posted in a week. As the title says though, what sort of future does Scottish Football have under either decision made today?

In answer to your question, yes, it will survive, in what state remains to be seen.

Yep - this! What state will Scottish Football be in down the line - strangly it mught even get stronger - but who knows - it will certainly be a time of change - if we are Div3 the reduced cash envorces changes - If we are Div 1 the 'reward' is changed league structures - so only surity is change.

In answer to your question, yes, it will survive, in what state remains to be seen.

Well, true, I suppose I mean survive in a similar way to what it is just now, even with us only having one year out of the SPL.