RM's Prematch Analysis: Clyde vs. Rangers

DarcheVinny

http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=995:prematch-analysis-clyde-vs-rangers&catid=150:sfl&Itemid=515

DJW is celebrating his 12th birthday with some blue WKD's so I wrote the preview this week.

[imgleft]http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/images/resized/images/wv30rangerstraining_200_200.jpg[/imgleft]RANGERS will tomorrow take on old local rivals Clyde for the first time in a league match since Ferbuary 20th 1975. The 'Gers won 2-1 on that day at Clyde's former Shawfield residence, with goals from Bobby McKean and Alex O'Hara. It was an important victory, as just five games later Colin Stein scored an equaliser at Easter Road with a bullet header to win Rangers their first title since the 1963/64 season.

The 1974/75 season was to be the last season of the SFL First Division as it was known then, as the top division was renamed the SFL Premier Division and only with the top ten placed teams - without Clyde who finished 16th and were forcibly relegated in to the second tier, the newly renamed SFL First Division.

I am sure Ally McCoist would give up a week's pay for a 2-1 victory away to Clyde following the shocking and embarrassing run of form away from Ibrox in SFL Division 3 this season. I am sure the Clyde supporters will be quite confident to win their first game against Rangers since March 31st, 1970.

Clyde manager Jim Duffy thinks it is a huge match for his side.

"Rangers have internationalists, whereas we mostly have players just starting out in the game. However, it’s a great opportunity for the guys to shine and it's important that they do not become overawed and enjoy the experience. Only a couple of the players here have played in front of the cameras before so it is another test of character for them.

It is a special day, but no matter the size of the task in hand and the gulf in experience we can match Rangers commitment and that is what I’m looking for."

As you can imagine, McCoist's prematch press conference was dominated by questions regarding away form and the manager seems to be sick of his own voice answering these questions.

"We’ve had them watched a few times so we know what to expect and I’m very hopeful we’ll get our first away win in the league. I’m looking forward to the day when we don’t talk about it anymore. I can totally understand the interest from the media and the disappointment from the supporters.

The main objective is to win the league and get out of the division but at the same time we want to do it with a bit of style if possible. We haven’t done that. It’s certainly not something we’ve been playing with away from home and we know that and we know what’s expected."

Personally, I have no interest in Rangers beating Clyde in style, I just want a win.

Let's hope McCoist and McCulloch have every player fired up and go out all guns blazing. This embarrassing run cannot carry on.

Time for the team to knuckle down and produce the away win. No excuses. No slow start. No over-respect for the opposition. Let's get the right mentality, pace, determination and creativity in front of goal right from the start and on throughout the game. And get the goal-scoring boots on. One-line message - JFDI.