The legend that is David Begg

Johnny Hubbard

Anyone else hear that half hour programme over the weekend on Radio Scotland ?

It sounded more like an obit. and they spoke of his illness, so I'm thinking the guy's on his way out. Now good luck to him if he's ill but he's hardly a "legend" in the way that David Francey was.

In fact having listened to his commentaries over the last few years, I'd put him in the same anti Rangers category as the rest of the BBC Saturday crew

NOT a legend !

David Begg's illness is depression.

He is another BBC Scotland employee that allowed himself to be heavily influenced by his various Producers. Any sectarian or oiffensive chanting emanating from the Rangers away support was highlighted during commentary and assurances of the SPL observer being approached to ensure his report contained the appropriate references. Similar behaviour from other groups of supporters(particularly ra Sellik), then it was ignored.

Begg was party to creating the BBC Scotland mantra that only Rangers supporters were offensive.

If you listened to the documentary you'll know that his brother is a Rangers fan, and that his mother couldn't bring herself to let another of her sons support Celtic, making him support Hibs instead.

There's a video on YouTube from a Celtic fan (I'm on my iPad so I can't link to it) that claims Begg was biassed towards us because of his differing reactions to goals during a 2-2 OF draw (the Jamie Ness game).

Why are people so desperate to see conspiracies and enemies everywhere? It's obvious they don't want neutrality and a fair, unbiassed media, they want pro-Rangers puppets.

Growing up in the Highlands meant we were a radio family, rather than getting to see games in the flesh. David Begg and Alistair Alexander were both legends in my house and they piss on non-entities like Liam MacLeod and Paul Mitchell.

Some of the endless whinging on here does my head in. Can we not just praise a brilliant commentator without accusing him of having an agenda? Before I joined message boards I thought Rangers fans were above paranoid shite. We have just as many crackpot fans as anyone, alas.

Anyway, Merry Christmas.

If you listened to the documentary you'll know that his brother is a Rangers fan, and that his mother couldn't bring herself to let another of her sons support Celtic, making him support Hibs instead.

There's a video on YouTube from a Celtic fan (I'm on my iPad so I can't link to it) that claims Begg was biassed towards us because of his differing reactions to goals during a 2-2 OF draw (the Jamie Ness game).

Why are people so desperate to see conspiracies and enemies everywhere? It's obvious they don't want neutrality and a fair, unbiassed media, they want pro-Rangers puppets.

Growing up in the Highlands meant we were a radio family, rather than getting to see games in the flesh. David Begg and Alistair Alexander were both legends in my house and they piss on non-entities like Liam MacLeod and Paul Mitchell.

Some of the endless whinging on here does my head in. Can we not just praise a brilliant commentator without accusing him of having an agenda? Before I joined message boards I thought Rangers fans were above paranoid shite. We have just as many crackpot fans as anyone, alas.

Anyway, Merry Christmas.

Excellent post.

I also grew up in the highlands and most of my childhood Rangers games were spent pacing my bedroom anxiously listening to Radio Scotland. I completely agree with you. It might be hard for today's internet stream generation to imagine but Begg and Alexander were the sound of football for me and the richness of their descriptions meant that games were just as exciting to listen to as watch.

Merry Christmas to you too.

I recall during the Advocaat tenure numerous inbhreads calling up offended by his flattery towards us, and in fareness ehe was giving all the praise our team deserved as we were a footballing mile ahead of rasselic, his attitude seemed to kind of change towards us during and after the period of PLG being our manager, not sure why and I am not aware enough of comings and goings inside the BBC at that time that may have influenced policy.

If there's a vacancy we need to get Archie back in there. True legend, especially for his re-written commentary in Trainspotting.

what tosh mate .Archie done nothing but slag us off .Ive got the vids and DVDs dating back to 82 to prove that .Archie may have defended us in last few months sporadically but Archie back as commentator .no thanks

Excellent post.

I also grew up in the highlands and most of my childhood Rangers games were spent pacing my bedroom anxiously listening to Radio Scotland. I completely agree with you. It might be hard for today's internet stream generation to imagine but Begg and Alexander were the sound of football for me and the richness of their descriptions meant that games were just as exciting to listen to as watch.

Merry Christmas to you too.

I too grew up listening to football on the radio. Begg is not in the same class as David Francey as a commentator. The last few years I've listened to Begg,s commentaries and he has not been neutral at all where we are concerned.

As for Archie, he's swum against the tide this last year or so (like Traynor) and talked a bit of sense about what's happened to us. Nevertheless in the years when he was Jock Stein's business partner, he did us no favours at all. His son always claimed Archie supported Morton (didn't Arthur Montford as well ?)

If you are a broadcaster who is a football neutral in this country, or support one of the smaller teams, you will be well used to being accused of bias by both sides of the Old Firm.

Often I'll disagree with what they have to say. It doesn't mean they're biased though. I'm hardly objective either (no matter how much I'd like to think so).

what tosh mate .Archie done nothing but slag us off .Ive got the vids and DVDs dating back to 82 to prove that .Archie may have defended us in last few months sporadically but Archie back as commentator .no thanks

You are entitled to your opinion, all i can say is woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooffffff.

My favourite part of commentary in the old days was trying to see how long it would be until he actually mentioned something that was happening in the game. We had a match in ridiculous fog back in the mid-80s, he couldn't see a thing, and was about as coherent as usual anyway. Fantastic stuff.

(Edit: Sorry, I didn't mention, I wasn't actually being totally serious with bringing him back in the first place, but I guess tone is the first thing lost when typing stuff)