The Measure of Success

WCPRANGERS1

Anyone remember my rant last season being new on some thought I was shifty because I said don't allow our keeper to kick out must throw before half way triangles of play up to forwards never a punt a tap in would be superb after some new type of football on show.we have missed the boat again with our coaching tactics stuck very much in the past need change. Hope that is not to shifty

how can u have had a rant last season on here, when u only joined in august :shifty:

It's useful to have a 'measure of success' quite near the front of thinking by players, the Manager and coaches, the Board and Supporters - and not forgetting investors.

The measures may be common enough but the means and speed of getting there quite different. It's not flavour of anything anymore but I go along with the Charles Green types of statements of winning the top flight and CL back at Ibrox as fast as possible. Getting there quickly may be more important than a process which takes longer (maybe a lot longer). Win ugly; or win and play with style; or win with a fresh footballing approach and with more emphasis on youngsters breaking through and excelling, may not be the core issue. Winning - simple as that - may be only thing that matters. Because recovering ground from the lost years while we work our way back through the divisions not only costs us top league titles and tilts at european football, it costs us money: and it hands championship after championship to the other lot without any effective competition and it hands them european experience and it hands them money that we could have earned. So putting a fast stop to that would - in my view - be good.

But if measure of success is also to be operating well within financial means and sustainably then that measure may start to overtake the measure of football success of winning the top league at the fastest possible speed and CL at the fastest possible speed. Because spending to do so may not be possible and this brings the risk - as I think Walter Smith once described it - of being uncompetitive. Uncompetitive relative to others winning the top league season after season after we return but with our Club being run on a financially sustainable basis would not - I suggest - be a measure of success or if it were then it would surely only be an acceptable measure for a few seasons.

I still think the measure of success will in substance be determined by how much money Rangers can generate to get the players at the right time to make the difference between uncompetitive and winning the top league. I still do not place much faith in big potential investors like DK (but happy to be proved wrong if he does in fact make a big substantial investment). In which case a lot of the financial success to fuel the football ambition may yet have to come from Supporters themselves. Will be interested to hear what plans the Board develop for cutting costs and generating more reventue because that may well be a big influence on what the measure of success is to be and how quickly it is to be achieved.