What is wrong with our Fitness ?

Davy Cooper 777

Even the great Davie Cooper when over weight was only a fraction of the player we all new he could be. He was like a fine wine the older he got the better he got, He was amazing when he left us with Motherwell, all because he learned to look after himself and was fitter.

The skill will always be there but every player tells you that pre season is key to everything.

Pre season is just a pishy excuse used by ally lovers to defend his incompetence. Well according to the RM experts anyway. Footballers don't need pre season. They should be at their peak condition eachand every day of the year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baxter, ever see him play? No point being fit if you keep giving the ball away, my original point which you carefully skipped over.

You need both.

You need to be fit to keep the ball,pass and move,pass and move.

Which is my point.

You cant have one without the other.

And as for your point about Baxter.

Why was he useless when he returned to Rangers?

I'll tell you why.

He was fat and unfit.

Even the greatest footballers need to be fit.

When they were picking players at school you were obviously a goalpost.

Unfortunately we dont have a Baxter which is why the players we have just now should be trying to be the best they can be,and learn to use both feet.

The players wouldnt like you for it.

They wouldnt give you 100%.

You'd be out a job in no time.

They're a bunch of spoiled brats.

The players wouldnt like you for it.

They wouldnt give you 100%.

You'd be out a job in no time.

They're a bunch of spoiled brats.

You are not there to be liked, if they step out of line train them harder, they step out of line again then they train alone until the window opens and get sold.

They dance to the managers tune, not the other way about.

Goat, can you declare what knowledge/experience you have that allows you to criticise how our coaching/fitness staff prepare the team.

If you're that good mate, you could make a lot of money out of football.

Are you saying because I don't have a coaching badge I can't have an opinion?

You are not there to be liked, if they step out of line train them harder, they step out of line again then they train alone until the window opens and get sold.

:D

What fitness work would you have them do that they currently don't?

In the past maybe.

But most times the chairman buckles and sides with the players because theyre worth more to him.

Sad but true.

Glad to see you have it planned out meticulously.

How would you factor in things like recovery days, U20 matches, travel to away games.

Tell you what goat, give us a daily schedule of how you would train the players.

Did I mention recovery days? Did I mention travel to away games? I told you what I'd do on our training days, it's that simple. Or do you suggest showing up, a bit of running, some light training and then Nandos for our players on thousands per week?

Pre season is just a pishy excuse used by ally lovers to defend his incompetence. Well according to the RM experts anyway. Footballers don't need pre season. They should be at their peak condition eachand every day of the year.

Dude, If you knew me I am no lover of our Manager, as a player he was my hero, seen him come through his darkest hours as a player when I was a boy when we all told him where to go on a few occasions. But he found another gear he was amazing 84-85 season in a very poor Rangers team to be honest. Souness came and the rest was history so to speak.

But as our manager? This will be his first and last job as a manager.

Did I mention recovery days? Did I mention travel to away games? I told you what I'd do on our training days, it's that simple. Or do you suggest showing up, a bit of running, some light training and then Nandos for our players on thousands per week?

Would that be the same training regime in August as it is in February as well?

No, that's the problem, You didn't. when would such things be scheduled in? Travel early and have a final session there or travel late and have one last session at Auchenhowie? Recovery days. When? Why? You're the expert telling us it's all wrong, so how would you pit it right?

It doesn't take an expert to an obviously poor training regime let me tell you.

So in otherwords, you have no real idea how to structure training in the manner you are missing and moaning about?

I'll make it nice and easy for you goat.

If we play on Saturday at 3pm which day would you Give the players as a recovery day and why?

What would you have them do on the other days?

So in otherwords, you have no real idea how to structure training in the manner you are missing and moaning about?

I'll make it nice and easy for you goat.

If we play on Saturday at 3pm which day would you Give the players as a recovery day and why?

What would you have them do on the other days?

I guarantee I could organise better training session that currently going on. Do you know something fine, I'll tell you how it would work.

Assuming we're playing every Saturday at 3pm, as follows.

Monday to Thursday.

0800-0830: Breakfast

0830-1000: Tactical training/Set pieces

1000-1200: Technique training - the players would go with different coaches to work on technique, passing, first touch, work on their bad foot etc.

1200-1300: Lunch

1300-1430: Fitness, gym work, weight work.

Friday:

0830-1000: Technique coaching as above.

1000-1200: Weekend match prep work. Tactics, videos, anything the players need to learn about the opposition.

1200-1300: Lunch.

If we're at home, they can then get the usual relaxation treatment, massage etc, if we're away, we then get the bus to the hotel we're staying at.

It obviously changes if there's midweek games. But I don't see anything too wrong in that, maybe you're expert opinion can tell me where I'm wrong. Although the technique coaching wouldn't work without the right people in there, which we don't have now.

Southampton FC coach Nick Harvey explains an elite footballer's weekly regime

Footy fitness

Thanks to stratospheric salaries and the indiscretions of certain individuals, professional footballers come in for a lot of abuse. As our breakdown of a typical pro's weekly training regime shows, however, in terms of sheer athleticism they're difficult to criticise. Even after covering over 10km during a game (Rooney clocks in at an average 11.78km), most are back training the next day, and many will get just one day sans workouts a week. Think you can match them? Emulate Capello's finest with this routine.

The regime

"Weekly training programmes vary depending on the training phase (off-season, pre-season or in-season), the number of games in the week, and the individual's training status," says Nick Harvey, first team fitness coach at Southampton FC. "But a typical training week during the season with no midweek game runs something like this."

Saturday

After the match, recovery consists of ice baths and compression tights. The latter are specially made leggings moulded to an individual's physique which promote blood circulation, increase oxygen flow to muscles and wick away sweat.

Sunday

An active recovery session. This might be, cycling for 15-20 minutes at 60% of maximum heart rate.

Monday

Extended Recovery Work: "Sometimes we'll do a light football session or it might be some technical work, but physiologically the focus is still on making sure the players are fully recovered 48 hours after the game, which is often when tiredness and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) sets in," says Harvey. "It's a light day focusing on recovery before the higher intensity stuff on Tuesday and Wednesday."

Tuesday

AM: High intensity football work, such as conditioned small sided games focusing on keeping possession with no goals, or a man-to-man game where you have to stick with one opponent wherever he goes.

PM: Strength and power work. For example, squats, deadlifts, bench-presses and pull-ups (volume and loads are tailored to each player).

Wednesday

AM: Moderate/high intensity football work. Possession drills and 11-versus-11 tactical play.

PM: Power development and complex training. This is a mixture of strength and plyometric work designed to develop explosiveness. The focus is typically on low reps at high speed, such as power cleans (3x4 sets) and hurdle jumps.

Thursday

Rest day.

Friday

Low Intensity football work (focus on tactical preparation) with speed and reaction time training in warm up. For example, short shuttle runs setting off when a man breaks the line or at the blow of a whistle.

Shake it up

Often during the season, of course, teams play three games in the space of a week and so recovery and tactical preparation are prioritised. "Nutrition is key at these times," says Harvey. recovery xs is a key part of our strategy, providing the body with all the key nutrients it needs after matches – and we also use a recovery drink after intense training sessions and whey protein drinks immediately after strength and power work.

Additionally, some players use pulse on match days to deliver a mental boost prior to games and ensure optimum nutrient delivery when it's needed."

I guarantee I could organise better training session that currently going on. Do you know something fine, I'll tell you how it would work.

Assuming we're playing every Saturday at 3pm, as follows.

Monday to Thursday.

0830-1000: Tactical training/Set pieces

1000-1200: Technique training - the players would go with different coaches to work on technique, passing, first touch, work on their bad foot etc.

1200-1300: Lunch

1300-1430: Fitness, gym work, weight work.

Friday:

0830-1000: Technique coaching as above.

1000-1200: Weekend match prep work. Tactics, videos, anything the players need to learn about the opposition.

1200-1300: Lunch.

If we're at home, they can then get the usual relaxation treatment, massage etc, if we're away, we then get the bus to the hotel we're staying at.

It obviously changes if there's midweek games. But I don't see anything too wrong in that, maybe you're expert opinion can tell me where I'm wrong. Although the technique coaching wouldn't work without the right people in there, which we don't have now.

They should be in for a light session on the Sunday to aid muscle recovery, light stretching, jogging, little bit of ball work and some pool or bike work.

Monday should be a recovery day as recommended by most sports scientists. I see you have no warm up and cool downs as part of your schedule.

The rest of the week should be geared towards preparing for our next match or Fitness work. No point coaching players how to pass a ball when they are senior pros. Tactical work is the key. Technique training is something most pros shouldn't need by the time they are a full time professional.

They should be in for a light session on the Sunday to aid muscle recovery, light stretching, jogging, little bit of ball work and some pool or bike work.

Monday should be a recovery day as recommended by most sports scientists. I see you have no warm up and cool downs as part of your schedule.

The rest of the week should be geared towards preparing for our next match or Fitness work. No point coaching players how to pass a ball when they are senior pros. Tactical work is the key. Technique training is something most pros shouldn't need by the time they are a full time professional.

Do I really need to include warm ups and cool downs in a rough copy of a training schedule?

Are you kidding me on about the technique coaching? Technique is the most important part of coaching, it's how you improve a player on the pitch!

Do I really need to include warm ups and cool downs in a rough copy of a training schedule?

Are you kidding me on about the technique coaching? Technique is the most important part of coaching, it's how you improve a player on the pitch!

100% serious. Coaching technique to players who it's already expected of is a waste of time and effort. Spl quality players should be able to pass a ball 5 yards and take a corner without it being coached once they are a professional. If I couldn't do the very basic parts of job without coaching I wouldn't have a job.

100% serious. Coaching technique to players who it's already expected of is a waste of time and effort. Spl quality players should be able to pass a ball 5 yards and take a corner without it being coached once they are a professional. If I couldn't do the very basic parts of job without coaching I wouldn't have a job.

Rubbish. I don't care if you're 12 or 33, you can always improve your game. That's like saying, "I don't need to do pish like that, cos I've made it." That's the sort of attitude, that will see you end up at teams like Falkirk.

You just have to compare our holiday camp regime to that of the published Southampton schedule, there is the simple answer, our butlin's regime is amateurish with all due respect to hard working and then training amateurs, difference is they aren't on thousands a week.