Our Youth Team.

gersandy

After reading an article about Salford City FC, it made me think about our own youth system and its failures.

Salford is now owned by the 'class of 92' of Man United. What the Nevilles, Nicky Butt, etc are doing is picking up 18, 19, 20 year olds that, for whatever reason, have been binned by other clubs, but may still have the talent to make it.

This has resulted in a guy named Sadiq El Fatouri earning an 18 month contract with Manchester United after impressing in a trial match for Salford City.

For me, this thinking outside the box is something that could benefit a club like Rangers.

Reading the interview with El Fatouri, he explains how humbled he felt after being released by Man City as a youngster, and that he was going to work hard and be patient until he gets his chance at United.

The recent departure of Charlie Telfer has maybe opened up a few bluenoses eyes as to the failings of our own youth system. Maybe we should be using our contacts (ex players coaching at other clubs) to identify players who've slipped through the net, as Salford are doing for Man United.

We certainly cant afford to pay fees, and youngsters coming through at Rangers seem to lack patience and see Dundee United as a better prospect.

Why bring more in only for them not to be given a chance too?

We need boardroom stability of some description, and a manager in place who can set a structure in place where youth teams play to similar positive styles as he gets our first team playing. Then if the first teamer loses form or gets injured / suspended a youth or reserve can easily slot in.

The youths in turn need to show up well in training and games and take opportunities given to them when it does happen.

Near enough the exact opposite of where we are now imo.

Why bring more in only for them not to be given a chance too?

We need boardroom stability of some description, and a manager in place who can set a structure in place where youth teams play to similar positive styles as he gets our first team playing. Then if the first teamer loses form or gets injured / suspended a youth or reserve can easily slot in.

The youths in turn need to show up well in training and games and take opportunities given to them when it does happen.

Near enough the exact opposite of where we are now imo.

I think the youths that we've had have either been just not good enough, or had the wrong attitude. A club like us needs to bring in cheap players that will improve and increase in value for a sell on.

Theres plenty of talent slipping through the net down south. You only have to think back to Vladimir Weiss. The guy couldnt buy a game down there but up here, at times, he looked unplayable. Could maybe say the same for Aluko, who im sure struggled for game time at Birmingham.

I think the youths that we've had have either been just not good enough, or had the wrong attitude. A club like us needs to bring in cheap players that will improve and increase in value for a sell on.

Theres plenty of talent slipping through the net down south. You only have to think back to Vladimir Weiss. The guy couldnt buy a game down there but up here, at times, he looked unplayable. Could maybe say the same for Aluko, who im sure struggled for game time at Birmingham.

I think a lot of our youth are good enough, the trouble is our management wouldn't trust them and went with the quick fix experience route, take the example of our best player to come through the youth in recent years in McLeod he wasn't trusted to play in his natural position but was too good to be left out so was played out of position.

We have young defenders who should have been played this season but have been ignored to play experience out of position and strikers who are good enough to play but were ignored to bring back hasbeens, no wonder some of the youth may develop poor attitudes when they see no route into the side no matter how well they perform.

I think a lot of our youth are good enough, the trouble is our management wouldn't trust them and went with the quick fix experience route, take the example of our best player to come through the youth in recent years in McLeod he wasn't trusted to play in his natural position but was too good to be left out so was played out of position.

We have young defenders who should have been played this season but have been ignored to play experience out of position and strikers who are good enough to play but were ignored to bring back hasbeens, no wonder some of the youth may develop poor attitudes when they see no route into the side no matter how well they perform.

MacLeod was a good player, but i wouldnt say he was amazing. TBH hes quite injury prone aswell so were probably well out of it.

Even Telfer, whos starting for DU, would he get into the team if were at full strength once all this boardroom crap is fixed? Nah.

Just look at youngsters who've been good for is and left. Ness, McCabe, Wylde, even Chris Burke. They've hardly went on to have glittering careers. Probably Charlie Adams the only one in my lifetime that seems to be playing at a good level.

I dont think the talents there in Scotland. I believe we should be looking to pick up the scraps from Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.

Rangers and Celtic get first pick when it comes to youth players though. Therefore in theory we have the best about at that age level. Just look at how many players have played for other Scottish teams and done well and earned a move down south. The majority of them have at one point played for Rangers and Celtic. That says to me that our coaches are not doing their job properly.

If young players see Dundee United as a better opportuntiy than the most successful club in the world ever, then that rings serious alarm bells.