Bomber On Cuellar

Davy

By Graeme Macpherson

JOHN BROWN reckons Rangers have landed a special talent in Carlos Cuellar.

The Spaniard today put pen to paper on a four-year deal after completing his transfer from Spanish cracks, Osasuna.

Walter Smith sent Brown to Spain on several occasions earlier this year to run the rule over the centre-half and Bomber reported back with a glowing dossier, effectively giving Rangers the green light to make a move for the 25 year-old.

Now the deal is complete, Brown believes Rangers have got themselves a real find.

He said: "He'll head the ball, he'll kick the ball out the park, he'll pick up positions in the box, he reads the game very well, he'll put block tackles in, he'll step forward from the edge of the box to intercept passes into the strikers' feet, he'll squeeze the line, play offside; everything that I would look for in a centre half.

"In every game that I've watched him I've noticed something extra that convinces me he'll do really well with the experienced guys around him.

"On the other side, he's a foreigner coming in to a new country and you wonder how quickly he will take to settle.

"But he looks the type that will settle in in no time. He's very good in the air and a great asset at corners and set-pieces going forward as he gets his head on things. He'll score a few goals."