Defence

slimjim1690

1 hour ago, Ivybank said:

Agree,said that after watching him in the recent internationals,that and his lack of pace, 

cardoso is ok but not great, 4 goals conceded in 2 league games is unacceptable

Hoping It improves quickly or we are going to be playing catch up and season has just started 

From what I've seen in the 2 league games the same old failings of last year have reared there ugly head again vis a vis both of our CH's getting pulled out of position in attempts to cover for inept FB's and being made to look silly, CB's by their very nature invariably do not make good FB's, so when one has to leave his position it also leaves his partner exposed not being sure what area of the back to defend, so unless Pedro addresses this problem before the window closes then IMO we have really no alternative but to play with a back three, as I mentioned in my OP Wilson has actually looked pretty good in a back three and believe me I'm no fan of him but I do think with the personnel at our disposal this is the way to go.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

I think Cardoso and Alves are still gelling. They are two good defenders even if they didn't cover themselves in glory yesterday.

As I said in a couple of other threads it's the full-backs that are a nightmare. First goal yesterday even though Cardoso allowed him to skip past way too easily, the ball came right across to Tav's position and he was nowhere to be seen as usual.

This will be the third season in a row that we are setting up to lose ridiculous goals from the full-back positions and ours being useless and caught out with zero positional sense. I said in the transfer section that if it was upto me, I'd withdraw the bid for Walker and put any cash into signing 1 or 2 if possible, good full-backs.

Tav/Wallace/Hodson against Tierny, McGregor or Sinclair this season and we are getting raped again in the spaces in the final third when they are attacking.

I'd still like to see us sign Walker as Windass is and never will be the answer to that left wing position, but as you keep saying in many posts and I do agree, the FB positions are the priority right now unless we do change to a back three.

I've always liked the 3 at the back set-up if I'm honest but you need decent width to make it work.

I also think you can get away with a center half as bad as Danny Wilson on the left hand side of the 3 as he's essentially another body in there for protection nd helping out but ideally another decent, strong center half would be better. Clint Hill alongside Alves and Cardoso would have been better IMO.

Could have Candais on the right wing and Walker if we signed him on the left with Dorrans, Jack and if we signed him McLean or if Pena is a decent player when fit, him.

That could work. It sounds good on paper but footballs not played on paper. 

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

I like him tbh, though he was the best of the 3 yesterday, but he does seem way too cocky in a way.

Good passer as well.

I've never rated him, genuinely never thought he was much better than Kiernan. When he keeps things simple then he's a capable backup option, nothing more.

His passing is decent until he gets carried away trying the long balls all the time.

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

I'd still like to see us sign Walker as Windass is and never will be the answer to that left wing position, but as you keep saying in many posts and I do agree, the FB positions are the priority right now unless we do change to a back three.

It doesn't matter how good a full back is he can't be in 2 places at the one time.

If a FB goes forward it's up to others to cover. This didn't happen for their goal as our CB were badly exposed.

But both our CB's were poor in dealing with the guys run. Cardoso should of showed him outside and Bruno total misjudged his attempt to cover his defensive partner.

We were a goal up so didn't need to leave ourselves so exposed after Miller once again lost possesion.

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I've never rated him, genuinely never thought he was much better than Kiernan. When he keeps things simple then he's a capable backup option, nothing more.

His passing is decent until he gets carried away trying the long balls all the time.

:megaanguish: 

9 minutes ago, five stars said:

It doesn't matter how good a full back is he can't be in 2 places at the one time.

If a FB goes forward it's up to others to cover. This didn't happen for their goal as our CB were badly exposed.

But both our CB's were poor in dealing with the guys run. Cardoso should of showed him outside and Bruno total misjudged his attempt to cover his defensive partner.

We were a goal up so didn't need to leave ourselves so exposed after Miller once again lost possesion.

I understand what you're saying but when we play with 3 at the back then if we lose possession the 3CB's simply move over and one of them makes a challenge, and if he gets beat then that still leaves 2 CB's covering instead of one making it much harder for the opposition, good in theory I know but we have looked more comfortable defensively when playing with a back three.

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

I thought young Aidan Wilson looked tidy in the couple of games he got last year, could possibly do for cover, defiantly ahead of Bates.

Aye, would agree, thought the worst when I seen him at first against Aberdeen, but he was good enough imo.