Gilardino - prisoner of the Brazilians.

Del Juve

Alberto Gilardino has recently struck me as a man with the world on his shoulders rather than at his feet. His brow is always furrowed. His eyes transfixed as if the goalkeeper's gloves are actually a pair of headlights. Which is strange given that some years ago Gila was feted in exactly the same way as Alexandre Pato.

Back in 2005, Aladino was the King of Parma. He scored 23 goals to save the Gialloblu from relegation. Only 22, Alberto was idolised and compared to the game's greats as much as plucky ducky Pato is today. Photographers followed him everywhere. Hell, public outcry was so great after Giovanni Trapattoni didn't select him for Euro 2004 that even if the wily tactician had won the competition he still wouldn't have beaten the sack.

I thought it. I said it. Gila is the new Paolo Rossi. So why isn't he? What has happened since his £17m move to Milan in 2005 to turn him into a jittering wreck? It baffles me, especially given the promising start to his Rossoneri career. Scoring 17 Serie A goals in his debut season, Gila gave Silvio Berlusconi and Adriano Galliani a reason to believe that life without Andriy Shevchenko wouldn't be so bad after all.

But the pressure of filling the boots of the club's second highest marksmen in history began to tell. Gila's failure to find the net in his first 10 Champions League appearances for a side that prides itself, above all, on European glory must have led him to question his position. Those photographers that used to follow him were taking more shots than he was.

He lost confidence and the club lost confidence. Ronaldo was signed in January 2007 to score the goals in the League, while Kaka and veteran Pippo Inzaghi continued their prolific form in Europe. Pato was scouted, courted and touted as the future of the Rossoneri. The King was facing a palace revolution.

Despite scoring eight times in Milan's first 17 games this season, Gila's form has clearly been overshadowed by the erstwhile Prince Pato, waiting in the wings. I expected him to play alongside Pato against Napoli, but Ancelotti's KA-PA-RO confirmed what Luigi Garlando had prophesised in La Gazzetta dello Sport – Gilardino is the prisoner of the Brazilians.

Sadly, not only in the colours of the Rossoneri but of the Azzurri too as Roberto Donadoni looks to procure an Italian passport for Brazilian striker Amauri. Nevertheless, Gila is young and can rediscover the form that led to his coronation as the King of calcio.

He may have won everything – the World Cup, Champions League and numerous individual accolades – but he needs to move. I would quite frankly relish the prospect of him hooking up with Fiorentina and Cesare Prandelli, his old mentor at Parma.

Its amazing that he has went from arguably one of the top prospects in european football to what he is now. Hard to argue that if it wasent for him Parma could have been playing in SerieB. Pato and Ronaldo arriving wont do much for his confidence either so a move to another SerieA club would probley be best for all involved. Look at Cassano forgotten at Madrid gos to Samp on loan this season and now there is talk of a return to the national side.