Bolton complete Cahill switch

Rohan

Bolton have signed Aston Villa central defender Gary Cahill, in a deal believed to be worth about £5m.

The 22-year-old centre-back has sealed a three-and-a-half-year contract at the Reebok Stadium, after weeks of uncertainty surrounding his future.

"He's a player I've admired for a long time and has a very, very bright future ahead of him," Bolton boss Gary Megson told the club's website.

"It is the right move for me to come to Bolton," said Cahill.

"I had a look around their set-up and met with the manager and chairman - and I was impressed with what I saw and heard."

Bolton were the first club to agree a fee with Villa for the academy product, who had spent three months on loan with Sheffield United earlier this season.

Villa's city rivals Birmingham made a late attempt to sign Cahill, after matching their neighbours' valuation of the player.

But sources close to the player had indicated Cahill "wants to make a complete break from the midlands" and rebuild his career at the Reebok Stadium.

Cahill therefore decided not to follow in the footsteps of Liam Ridgewell, who moved from Villa to Birmingham in a £2m deal during the summer.

He had slipped down the pecking order at Villa, after appearing regularly during the first half of the 2006-07 campaign.

Cahill found himself fourth in line behind Martin Laursen, Curtis Davies and Zat Knight.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill did not want Cahill to go on loan for the remainder of the season.

Cahill has been with Villa since he was a youngster and two seasons ago had a successful spell on loan at Burnley, where he won 10 various player-of-the-year awards.

Unbelieveable price when you compare it too the likes of Cuellar.