John Fleck

So Everton fu*ked up Wayne Rooney by playing him too young ?

I dont think so. If your good enough your old enough and the SPL isn't exactly a world class league. If Walter thinks the boys got the mentality to deal with it then he will be a first team regular next season. We dont have anyone at the club ( apart from Cuellar ) who has that much talent.

Going to extremes, Pele was 17 when he played for Brazil in a World Cup Final. Some British examples: Players like Best, Law and Charles were internationalists at 18. Gigs played for Wales at 17. If your good enough...your old enough.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your good enough your old enough, Fleck will be almost 17 at the start of next season, players like Raul, Totti, Maldini, Torres, Ronaldo (Brazilian) etc were playing regular first team football at this age and most were their teams star player also. I think holding players back because of their age only slows their development down, he needs first team football next season in order to develop.

Finally if Walter wants to continue with his 4-5-1 he would be the ideal player to play the role Barry has played this season it would then allow Barry to play the deeper role he used to play when Advocaat was in charge, which in turn would stop the aimless long balls from the centre backs because he would be demanding the ball from them.

I definitely think that if he's good enough then he should play. there's loads of examples of players that started young. look at sergio aguero of atletico madrid, who had made his first team international (argentina) debut at 16, or the 16 and 17 year old georgia boys that ripped scotland apart just after us beating france and ukraine

It's easy to point out the Rooney's, Raul's and Giggs's of this world simply becuase they are success stories.

But we have to rememebr that there have been plenty of players who have been brought into their respective first teams when they have been too young and subsequently their careers have gone down the pan.

Hopefully our management team realise the potential that Fleck has and bring him into the first team in the correct manner as it would be a shame if he didn't fulfill his talent correctly by being brought in too soon.

he does not have to play every week , just get him involved in the team at the beginning of the season , play him a couple of games and see how it goes

i am certain he will do well for us , he has great movement and knows how to score a goal or two