Italy part company with Donadoni

Italy have parted company with coach Roberto Donadoni following their exit from Euro 2008, BBC Sport understands.

World champions Italy were beaten on penalties by Spain in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008, casting Donadoni's future into doubt.

Following Sunday's defeat, Donadoni was adamant he would not quit the role he took on in July 2006.

He signed a two-year contract extension before Euro 2008 - but it contained a 10-day get-out clause on both sides.

Donadoni said on Sunday: "Resign? The thought would never even entered my brain.

"I don't have a reason. We only lost a game on penalties. You can't say things work when you win but don't work when you lose on penalties. We will talk and decide. It doesn't make any sense to talk about whether I deserve to carry on."

Italian football federation president, Giancarlo Abete, gave no clues as to whether his coach would be retained when asked after the defeat on Sunday.

"Over the next few days we will reflect and make a decision about this," he said.

"It doesn't make any sense to make a decision in the heat of the moment."

He added: "In the next few days we will discuss what will happen. We'll retrace our steps."

not surprised at all.

rumours are that lippi will return, but im hoping ancelotti takes over.

Hopefully they appoint a manager who is going to play attacking football and set them up to go out and win.

I absolutely hate the way the Italians play, it's brutal.

Hopefully they appoint a manager who is going to play attacking football and set them up to go out and win.

I absolutely hate the way the Italians play, it's brutal.

they obviously took tips off our uefa cup run, but just didnt have the personel to adapt to our system :BELM:

but in all seriousness, if they want an attack minded coach then spaletti or prandelli are the obvious choices. however, neither will leave club management atm.