McGregor Signs 5 yr deal

DadoPrso9

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad we're finally signing our better players on long term deals. We're usually signing up average players and having to pay them off, or releasing good players for free because we didn't sign them up long enough.

I'm struggling to understand the negativity on this site, and in this thread in particular. Everyone knows that players in contract can be sold - it's nothing new. Why, when a player we have all been saying is a must-keep signs a new contract, is our initial thought "he can still leave though?" <cr> Let's be happy about things for once. He has shown committment to Rangers, and that's good enough for me.

Also, well done David Murray for authorising the money for this new contract (tu)

I think a lot of people mistake negativity for realism.

Several posters are just pointing out that a new contract (really) doesn't mean that much in terms of him staying, as £10mil would have got him before the contract, and it'll still be enough IMO.

However, it is a good move. It's increasing the value of our assets if anyone DOES want them that badly. Made a fortune from Hutton, and if McGregor does go any time soon we'll get a fortune for him. Plus, in any other instance, he's tied to us for at least 4 years.

Guest Andypendek

Agree with this, I can't see much negativity here at all! We know that contract is merely a means to ensure a fee, and only until the last yea of it at that, so at least we're sure of a wedge should anyone want McG for 4 years. Nothing more the club can do than that, really.

I'm struggling to understand the negativity on this site, and in this thread in particular. Everyone knows that players in contract can be sold - it's nothing new. Why, when a player we have all been saying is a must-keep signs a new contract, is our initial thought "he can still leave though?" <cr> Let's be happy about things for once. He has shown committment to Rangers, and that's good enough for me.

Also, well done David Murray for authorising the money for this new contract (tu)

Several posters are just pointing out that a new contract (really) doesn't mean that much in terms of him staying, as £10mil would have got him before the contract, and it'll still be enough IMO.

However, it is a good move. It's increasing the value of our assets if anyone DOES want them that badly. Made a fortune from Hutton, and if McGregor does go any time soon we'll get a fortune for him. Plus, in any other instance, he's tied to us for at least 4 years.

From this thread:

Doesn't mean he won't go If a bid comes in that SDM can't refuse.

This new contract really doesn't mean shit.

Now for Cuellar, but you know that any of the 2 of them can be sold at anytime if a decent offer comes for either of them.

I still wouldn't bet against him leaving either.

if a 10m bid comes in - he's gone.

are you really confident he will stay? I'm not...

There's more on other threads, but I cba finding and copying it all. Now, call it realism if you like, I made it clear in my post that "Everyone knows that players in contract can be sold - it's nothing new." I just don't get why people's immediate reaction to this news is so negative. And it is negative, the positive spin on it is "great, McGregor's committed to Rangers, and Rangers have put a lot of money into a contract for him, showing that they are committed too."

Negative is what the comments above are. :(

From this thread:

Doesn't mean he won't go If a bid comes in that SDM can't refuse.

Now for Cuellar, but you know that any of the 2 of them can be sold at anytime if a decent offer comes for either of them.

I still wouldn't bet against him leaving either.

if a 10m bid comes in - he's gone.

are you really confident he will stay? I'm not...

There's more on other threads, but I cba finding and copying it all. Now, call it realism if you like, I made it clear in my post that "Everyone knows that players in contract can be sold - it's nothing new." I just don't get why people's immediate reaction to this news is so negative. And it is negative, the positive spin on it is "great, McGregor's committed to Rangers, and Rangers have put a lot of money into a contract for him, showing that they are committed too."

Negative is what the comments above are. :(

Apart from

The rest of the quotes are pretty realistic.

They have put a lot of money into it becase either he will stay here and continue as a world class goalie, or if he goes, they will hope to recoup all costs with a massive transfer fee.

Apart from

They have put a lot of money into it becase either he will stay here and continue as a world class goalie, or if he goes, they will hope to recoup all costs with a massive transfer fee.

You can call it realistic if you like, at best it's a negative spin on the situation. It's a case of glass half empty. We have signed (imo) the best keeper in Scotland on a long term contract. I see that as cause for celebration. Again, I know (and everybody else knows) that he can still be sold, but it is a statement of intent from the club and player, which I see as a good thing.

I see no need to mention possible negative scenarios. It just needlessly puts a dampener on a piece of good news.

Apart from

You can call it realistic if you like, at best it's a negative spin on the situation. It's a case of glass half empty. We have signed (imo) the best keeper in Scotland on a long term contract. I see that as cause for celebration. Again, I know (and everybody else knows) that he can still be sold, but it is a statement of intent from the club and player, which I see as a good thing.

I see no need to mention possible negative scenarios. It just needlessly puts a dampener on a piece of good news.

Suppose, some people are just negative though. If you're negative then at least you're never disappointed when shit happens.

Agree on your first point though, he is Scotlands number one. By a distance.