Downsizing and Rangers - it is all a lot of nonsense for me

Tontospal

Murray etc would have us believe that Rangers have been permanently downsizing since Advocaat was replaced by McLeish.

I don't know of any Rangers first team player in that period who has been on their uppers. Quite the opposite to be honestcure. We have players driving cars that are probably worth more than the average fan's house is worth.

In the downsizing period we have won 2 titles and struggled at times to beat sides in real financial difficulties (Hibs, Motherwell, Livingston, Hearts, Dundee etc) some of whom actually went in to administration.

Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with players being rewarded well when they are above average and actually win things but the sad truth is that we pay well over the odds to the vast majority of our players.

I firmly believe that we could substantially reduce our wage bill and with proper scouting and coaching have a better team than we have at present.

Rangers are a massive club and it is surely possible for us to get a first team squad of 18 players who would be delighted to play for a club of our history and standing for a maximum wage of 10k per week. And that only for the most experienced and most influential players.

It is a major issue for me and too many of our squad are well rewarded simply for being a Rangers player as opposed to what they contribute as a Rangers player. The quality of our play is quite shocking and over Murray's tenure we have went from a team and a support who expect to win games to one that hopes we win games.

We have lost to Kaunus and St Mirren and drawn with Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Aberdeen.

I would love to know how our wage bill compares to the total paid to these 5 sides combined. I would not be in the least bit surprised if the 2 figures were quite close.