Stay on the offensive ...

RANGERS boss Walter Smith must keep the faith with the Kris Boyd-Kenny Miller strike-force - and his belief in the 4-4-2 formation.

That is the view of Gers' nine-in-a-row legend Brian Laudrup, who believes it would be a mistake to revert to the safety-first 4-1-4-1 set-up that took the Ibrox outfit to the Uefa Cup Final and twin domestic cup triumphs last time around.

But, while Laudrup reckons the criticism of Boyd for his glaring miss when one-on-one with Artur Boruc in last Saturday's Old Firm clash is out of order, he has urged Smith to make the signing of a wide player his top priority in the January transfer window.

He said: "I know Rangers were very successful with their formation last year, but I do not see Walter reverting to it now.

advertisement

" I think it was always his intention for the team to play more football this season and in the partnership between Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller they have two strikers who have gelled so well they have 25 goals between them at the halfway stage of the campaign.

"I know that Kris Boyd missed a great chance when he was through on Boruc, but you have to give the keeper credit for the way he spread himself and made it tough for Kris.

"Boyd and Miller complement each other well. Boyd is an 18-yard box striker and Miller the one who will do most of the work. Historically that has always proved to be a good type of partnership.

"I do not think that because Rangers have lost this Old Firm game and Kris Boyd has been denied by a fine save from Boruc that it would be wise to go back to the more defensive system of last season. I believe Walter will also see it that way."

Smith's problems on the left flank has continued to prove damaging as Nacho Novo, Kyle Lafferty, DaMarcus Beasley, Charlie Adam and Lee McCulloch have all had stop-gap spells in the position with little success.

But with Smith now apparently poised to pitch in Stevie Naismith to reprise a role he impressed in before injury in the Scottish Cup semi-final with St Johnstone in March, Laudrup believes an answer may be at hand.

He said: "I know that Rangers have had their problems in the wide areas, and particularly on the left wing, and that has probably hurt them.

"For me, if you look at most successful teams then they will have players who can beat a man and get the ball into the box.

"The problem is that those type of players cost a lot of money and that is something that Rangers don't seem to have at the moment.

"Against Celtic last Saturday, Rangers just didn't get in behind Celtic at all and, in both Stephen McManus and Gary Caldwell, Celtic were very solid down the middle.

"When you don't have any width and can only go through the middle it does cut down on your options and it makes it easier for the other side to defend. In this respect I think it is good that young Naismith may be ready to come back to the side.

"But the other problem here is that when you have players playing in unnatural positions you will only get away with if for so long. I think the longer this goes on the more damaging it can be to the fluency of the team."

While he admits that Gers now face an uphill struggle to overhaul Celtic's seven-point lead, Laudrup believes there is still a long way to go in the SPL title race.

The Ibrox hero said: "Last Saturday was a crucial game for Rangers and to come from seven points behind will be tough, but there is no doubt it can still be done.

"What Rangers don't have now is any margin for error. But it is a big plus for Rangers that in Walter Smith they have a manager who has seen and done it all in this regard.

"If you look at the fact that there are still two Old Firm games to go in the second half of the season so there are six points that can be gained, and of course, Rangers have won at Parkhead this term.

"But their form on the road has not been good, so they have been vulnerable a lot more than Walter would have liked.

"But in a situation like this it is vital that you don't panic and that won't happen with Walter."

Laudo added: "The other thing is that Celtic play a Dundee United side who are going well in third place coming to Parkhead tomorrow. They are capable of getting something.

"So it is possible Rangers could be going up the road to Inverness with the chance to bite back into the lead."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...from_legend.php

RANGERS boss Walter Smith must keep the faith with the Kris Boyd-Kenny Miller strike-force - and his belief in the 4-4-2 formation.

That is the view of Gers' nine-in-a-row legend Brian Laudrup, who believes it would be a mistake to revert to the safety-first 4-1-4-1 set-up that took the Ibrox outfit to the Uefa Cup Final and twin domestic cup triumphs last time around.

But, while Laudrup reckons the criticism of Boyd for his glaring miss when one-on-one with Artur Boruc in last Saturday's Old Firm clash is out of order, he has urged Smith to make the signing of a wide player his top priority in the January transfer window.

He said: "I know Rangers were very successful with their formation last year, but I do not see Walter reverting to it now.

advertisement

" I think it was always his intention for the team to play more football this season and in the partnership between Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller they have two strikers who have gelled so well they have 25 goals between them at the halfway stage of the campaign.

"I know that Kris Boyd missed a great chance when he was through on Boruc, but you have to give the keeper credit for the way he spread himself and made it tough for Kris.

"Boyd and Miller complement each other well. Boyd is an 18-yard box striker and Miller the one who will do most of the work. Historically that has always proved to be a good type of partnership.

"I do not think that because Rangers have lost this Old Firm game and Kris Boyd has been denied by a fine save from Boruc that it would be wise to go back to the more defensive system of last season. I believe Walter will also see it that way."

Smith's problems on the left flank has continued to prove damaging as Nacho Novo, Kyle Lafferty, DaMarcus Beasley, Charlie Adam and Lee McCulloch have all had stop-gap spells in the position with little success.

But with Smith now apparently poised to pitch in Stevie Naismith to reprise a role he impressed in before injury in the Scottish Cup semi-final with St Johnstone in March, Laudrup believes an answer may be at hand.

He said: "I know that Rangers have had their problems in the wide areas, and particularly on the left wing, and that has probably hurt them.

"For me, if you look at most successful teams then they will have players who can beat a man and get the ball into the box.

"The problem is that those type of players cost a lot of money and that is something that Rangers don't seem to have at the moment.

"Against Celtic last Saturday, Rangers just didn't get in behind Celtic at all and, in both Stephen McManus and Gary Caldwell, Celtic were very solid down the middle.

"When you don't have any width and can only go through the middle it does cut down on your options and it makes it easier for the other side to defend. In this respect I think it is good that young Naismith may be ready to come back to the side.

"But the other problem here is that when you have players playing in unnatural positions you will only get away with if for so long. I think the longer this goes on the more damaging it can be to the fluency of the team."

While he admits that Gers now face an uphill struggle to overhaul Celtic's seven-point lead, Laudrup believes there is still a long way to go in the SPL title race.

The Ibrox hero said: "Last Saturday was a crucial game for Rangers and to come from seven points behind will be tough, but there is no doubt it can still be done.

"What Rangers don't have now is any margin for error. But it is a big plus for Rangers that in Walter Smith they have a manager who has seen and done it all in this regard.

"If you look at the fact that there are still two Old Firm games to go in the second half of the season so there are six points that can be gained, and of course, Rangers have won at Parkhead this term.

"But their form on the road has not been good, so they have been vulnerable a lot more than Walter would have liked.

"But in a situation like this it is vital that you don't panic and that won't happen with Walter."

Laudo added: "The other thing is that Celtic play a Dundee United side who are going well in third place coming to Parkhead tomorrow. They are capable of getting something.

"So it is possible Rangers could be going up the road to Inverness with the chance to bite back into the lead."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...from_legend.php

Laudrup for manager. i am telling ya :rangers: