Chelsea up for sale

Adam

Was speaking football with some mates yesterday who said that a rumor picking up pace is that Roman Abramovich is putting chelsea up for sale for 1 euro (with a 900million euro debt). apparently it came from the Bayern Munich chairman who said it in a press confernence.

I googled it and found this published 29/12/08 (so sorry of a repost but i dont remember seeing anything on here round the time)

Abramovich puts Chelsea for sale?

Seriously affected by the world financial crisis, Russian tycoon Roman Abramovich is thinking of selling either Chelsea or his luxury yacht "Pelorus".

Assets depreciation and another effects of the world financial crisis might have reduced Roman Abramovich's personal fortune from €16,700 million to €2,300 million, according to Russian news agency Prime-Tass.

This is the current scenario for the Russian tycoon, who must made a decision: either he puts Chelsea for sale (he invested more than €210 million since July 2003, including the team's debts) or he sells his yacht, which is said to cost some €200 million.

The press published statements from an expert in financial transactions in soccer and former manager of two teams from Germany; according to him, "rumors about selling Chelsea started spreading in November" and Abramovich "is looking for a broker to lead the transaction."

Meanwhile, cuts in budget are already in force at Chelsea: 15 managers were fired (they earned €156,000 total per year)and no more free meals for the players at the cafeteria, according to Russian TV channel "Vesti-24"

http://www.sportsya.com/english/news.php/R...p;id_estruc=426

Bayern Munich bosses with Hoeness in mind in particular hate Chelsea and rant about them and all their cash so I would take it with a pinch of salt if it came from them

then again maybe Roman is getting tired of his plaything and what with the recession he may well be taking a look at his assets