Deja vu at Pittodrie

TannochsideBear

On the back of that disgraceful tactical line-up yesterday that cost us another two points in the title race and was another away day without a win I remembered writing an article before the last visit to Pittodrie at the start of the season, calling for Walter to abandon the old tactics of one up front and go to win these matches. I think it just shows us how little Walter has learned and goes to add to his detractors that tell us his time is up and he has to go at the end of the season come what may.

I thought it would be worth a reprint.

Rangers take on Aberdeen: Have we learned anything?

Written by tannochsidebear

Saturday, 23 August 2008

Well here we are again with our first "big" fixture of the new season.

As has been well documented, a contributing factor to us not winning the league last season was our away form against the other top 6 sides in the SPL. 1 win in the 10 games is not title winning form in any book.

Our tactics in many of those games was to play our "European" formation of 4-5-1. Many critics of this would tell you that this was giving our opponents far too much respect and we should have been more aggresive and attacking against them.

Well I am curious as to find out if Walter will have learned from the points lost last season. At the beginning of any campaign you look to how you can improve on the year before. This is the key area for us this season. We must pick up at least 18 points from the 30 available in these fixtures. Not too difficult you would think. We only got 8 points last season in these fixtures. The 10 point improvement would probably give us the title back.

So will we go for a more attacking 4-4-2? How do we fit our newly found midfield players into a team? The official text states that Lafferty is struggling but Davis and Novo come into the squad. No mention of Aaron yet, and too early for Edu.

With McGregor, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Mendes and Thomson certain starters, it leaves 5 places to fill. At right back it is between Broadfoot, Whittaker and Dailly. I would play SW but I think walter will go for KB, with CD on the bench.

Who will go into midfield with Mendes and Thomson? I think it will be a 4 man midfield with Davis right and McCulloch left. I think WS will blame airmiles for Beasley being "tired" and on the bench, and allow him to play the badly out of form McCulloch.

Up front I think it will be Boyd and Miller. Miller seems to have recovered from injury given that he ran about to no effect for 90 mins at Hampden the other night, and so will go straight into the team. But Walter must know that you cannot rely on Miller alone to get goals, so he must partner him with either Boyd, Velicka or JCD. I think he will stick with the best goal scorer and have options on the bench if it is not working.

Not the team I would pick to win at sheepy, but I think WS will go for the 4-4-2 as above. If he goes back to 4-5-1, I truly despair.

Hopefully we don't have to go back to this midden after the split.Having said that we struggle with nearly every away game anyway.

6 away wins out of 12 is not good enough to win a title.

6 away wins out of 12 is nothing short of embarrassing!

Hopefully we don't have to go back to this midden after the split.Having said that we struggle with nearly every away game anyway.

6 away wins out of 12 is not good enough to win a title.

if we do, which we have done before(three times in a season) u can bet a million bucks timmy will have three times at the tattie bowl. cant recall of ever getting them three times at ibrox. also, how come if every season we play a team(eg dundee united) away in our first match, then home in our second match, and next season we home then away, we always seem to b up at pittodrie around christmas new year, with an either 12.30 ko on a sat, or a 2pm on a sun? dont think either us or timmy ever get a game up there with a 3pm ko on sat. dont go now, but even with a 3pm ko on a sat, it was a shit journey. also, these sheeps never have to come down to glasgow for an early ko, always 3pm on sat.

of fans takin for a ride as usual.