Best and Worst of weekends Barclays Premier League Action

Dalrybear

Welcome back to the second Barclay’s Premier League Hot or Not inside a week, with the dust having barely settled from the midweek action, Manchester United had the chance to extend not only their lead at the top of the table this weekend as Chelsea visited Liverpool but also a chance to stretch their new clean sheet record.

HOT

And that is exactly what happened, another 1-0 win (United’s seventh in their last ten games), this time at home to Everton, extending the Premier League clean sheet record to twelve straight shut outs. Remember boring, boring Arsenal? Why not boring, boring Man United?

Edwin Van Der Saar clocked up quite an achievement himself this weekend after he broke the all time English football record for minutes played, without conceding. Not hard behind Nemanja Vidic however, Van Der Saar has actually been on holiday with Sir Alex Ferguson trusting Edwin’s Madame Tussauds wax work between the sticks.

We heard a rumour the Dutchman didn’t actually make a save in three or four of the games. The 38 year old must have an electric dog tag on, otherwise how does he stay awake?

Hot or Not had to think pretty hard on whether to celebrate watching the Neville brothers captaining two of England’s biggest clubs, against each other or to put it in NOT. The mascots must have been gutted but it is a pretty cool achievement.

Liverpool leap-frogged ten man Chelsea after their narrow 2-0 win over the London side but the papers will be full of this one tomorrow. Lampard should never have been sent off but Fernando Torres scored two late goals to seal the points.

There has been a lot written about Tottenham Hotpurs Darren Bent during the transfer window but he got even more press today after saving Spurs blushes with a brace. Oops, that was nearly saving his side, Bolton Wanderers grabbed a late goal and a 3-2 victory.

Bent’s goals were separated by 1 minute 58 seconds and he couldn’t really have missed either of them but tried pretty hard to, the first going in off his standing leg as part of a fresh air swing.

Another striker not totally renowned for his goals is Bolton’s new Captain Kevin Davies, captain fantastic is normally reserved for Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard but not this weekend. Two goals by Davies, including that late winner at home to Spurs, capping another fine performance by possibly the most physical striker in the top flight.

We were all left wondering why the Trotters sold their star man Kevin Nolan to Newcastle midweek but it didn’t take long on Saturday to find out. His name is Mark Davies and we think he might be Nolan in disguise.

Why was Paul Scharner left out the Wigan Athletic side earlier this season? The man is a class act who can play absolutely anywhere, including it seems in goal. Save of the week goes to the Austrian after a double goal line clearance that earned his side a point in a goal less draw at Aston Villa. Please tell me you saw his step over in the first half on the break away? Actually, what position was he playing?

Now, Erik Nevland doesn’t normally make the headlines but the one time Man United player has scooped our goal of the week. Not for a stunning volley or 30 yard screamer but for a cool, calm outside of the boot finish while bearing down on David James in his Fulham sides 3-1 win over Portsmouth.

In fact, the 31 year old Norwegian scored twice.

Week after week, Hot or Not tells you what it thinks you want to hear but also what we want you to hear. Hot or Not remembers welcoming James Beattie back to the top flight before again mentioning him during the week after his first league goal for Stoke.

Today I mention him, as he was the hero for Stoke City in their 1-0 ten man win over the mighty Manchester City and his header could easily have been goal of the week. Remember Alan Shearer? He would have been proud of that one.

A player who will be very proud of his performance this week was Bernard Mendy, the Hull City star scoring the first and setting up the second during his sides 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion. The former Bolton man is looking back to his best.

It doesn’t seem like so long ago we were seeing the best of Gareth Southgate but amazingly the former England international (famed for that missed penalty at EURO 96) has reached 100 games as Middlesbrough boss.

In general his time has been rather uneventful and so was the 100th game, a 0-0 draw with Blackburn Rovers, nothing to shout home about but 100 games is a 100 games. Well worth having a pint over.

NOT

Frank Lampard’s sending off, when did football outlaw tackling, Mike Riley?

Then later in the game, Jose Bosingwa stays on the field despite GBH (grievous bodily harm)?

It is such a pity Steven Gerrard feels like he has to dive but maybe the yellow card will wake him up, mind, he wasn’t performing any worse than the referee.

Mikel Arteta is probably used to nut-megging the opposition and winning peanuts but what he isn’t so used to, is being nut-megged and giving away penalties but that is exactly what he did at Old Trafford and at the same time. Takes some talent that.

For a long time I rated Jonathon Woodgate amongst England’s best stoppers but sadly it would appear he is not the player he once was. Spurs conceded all three goals against Bolton from high balls into the box, food and drink for quality defenders.

The fact there were three 0-0 draws this weekend wasn’t good for Arsenal as they yet again missed an opportunity to hit back at Villa (drawing 0-0 at home to West Ham United). No goals and nothing has changed in the race for fourth place.

How there were no goals at Villa Park only the man upstairs knows, Wigan’s goal area was like a scene from Pearl Harbour.

Speaking of television, haven’t I seen Tony Adams on TV? No, actually it was Jimmy Nail but how can two men be involved in enough scraps to have that same nose?

Hot or Not would think Adams is favourite for the next Premier League managerial casualty with his twin conveniently waiting with the final “nail” for the coffin. Seeing David James sitting on the Craven Cottage turf shaking his head in utter disbelief at yet another defensive blunder from Sylvain Distan says it all really.

It takes a lot to rile “Calamity” James.

There are some things in football you can’t buy consistency from James, passion, bravery and team spirit for starters. Manchester City have a long way to go if they are to challenge for a Champions League spot. Losing 1-0 to ten relegation favourites is nothing short of pathetic for City’s dream team.

In Hot or Not’s opinion they were lucky to even be playing with eleven players as Shaun Wright-Philips should have been sent off with Rory Delap after their first half bust up, Wright-Philips clearly kicked out at Delap with the referee standing just 4 or 5 metres away looking right at them.

Retaliation is retaliation.

There is no explanation apart from maybe Manchester City are already receiving the big sides preferential treatment. Has anyone got any other views on the incident?

As a closing note, I’d also like to make my feeling known on the return of Ricardo Fuller to Stoke City’s starting eleven. The Jamaican hasn’t played since slapping his Captain Andy Griffin and I for one don’t think he should have been allowed to pull on a Red and White striped Stoke jersey again.

Had I been Stoke captain, it would have been him or I….

Luckily I’m not, Fuller’s return signalled all three points for the Potters.