The Tom Vallance Painting.

2e574op.jpg

Over the years during our research into the Founders of our great Club one name has continually jumped out at us from the history books.

Tom Vallance. A Gallant Pioneer.

Those who have taken the Founders Trail will appreciate how his influence, and steady hand steered the Club away from many a rock through our early years.

Tom's friendship with his fellow Founders wasn't forged on the streets of Glasgow, no this band of brothers were friends from the age of 10 on the shores of the Gareloch.

Tom Vallance was present on Fleshers Haugh

Tom was Club Captain and President for many years.

He was a very successful business man, and his link with the Viceroy Bar has been covered on here recently.

Tom had Rangers results wired to his restaurants for his patrons during the 1890's.

Tom was regularly seen working the turnstiles at 1st Ibrox while President.

Tom was present at the Club's Dinner in 1923.

Tom was present at the ceremony in 1929 when the Main Stand opened.

Tom was a guest of the Club when we faced Sporting Club of Vienna at Ibrox in 1933. The lad who was present on Fleshers Haugh was now watching his Club play in front of crowds touching 100,000.

Mr. Struth , Chairman James Bowie and players from the Vale of Leven team whom he faced in our first Scottish Cup Final in 1877 were present at his funeral in 1935.

A few weeks ago we approached artist Helen Runcimen and asked her once again to put a Rangers Legend onto canvas and what an incredible job she has done once again.

Thank you Helen.

Today at Ibrox Stadium after our Founders Trail , a ceremony was held to unveil a painting of Tom Vallance.

Tom Vallance has now been reunited with his friends at Ibrox and has taken his rightful place at the top of The Marble Staircase.

When people talk about early Rangers, they tend to talk about Moses McNeil. For me, Mr Vallance has done so much more for the club than the rest of the Pioneers. Thankfully, he has started to get the recognition he deserves. For me, he was THE Gallant Pioneer. True legend, if and of the stands get renamed, it should be after him. Rangers, wouldn't have been the club it is today without him. Thanks tom.

And Moonlighter. By the way, that book is the best book I have ever read, thanks mate.

Bit off topic but why does he have a lion on the strip not a star?

I would love the club to have an away strip in the style from this photo (know it was a one off for a cup final). If it is because he was capped for Scotland then it'd be great were such a kit ever introduced if our Scottish internationals like black, Wallace, McCullouch ... Had something similar

Bit off topic but why does he have a lion on the strip not a star?

I would love the club to have an away strip in the style from this photo (know it was a one off for a cup final). If it is because he was capped for Scotland then it'd be great were such a kit ever introduced if our Scottish internationals like black, Wallace, McCullouch ... Had something similar

The lion is on his jersey to signify being capped by Scotland.

The lion is on his jersey to signify being capped by Scotland.

That's what I assumed but thanks for confirming.

Hopefully someone at Ibrox is paying attention and we'll get a strip as a tribute. 1872 may have been the first game but 1873 was the official constitution. 140 years seems a good excuse to me.

Has there been any suggestion from the club regarding going further than pictures ad actually naming a stand or even better The Founding Fathers Academy?

That's what I assumed but thanks for confirming.

Hopefully someone at Ibrox is paying attention and we'll get a strip as a tribute. 1872 may have been the first game but 1873 was the official constitution. 140 years seems a good excuse to me.

Has there been any suggestion from the club regarding going further than pictures ad actually naming a stand or even better The Founding Fathers Academy?

There have been various suggestions and wonderful ideas put forward by supporters over the last few years.

However, the on-going problem is :

A) Getting someone with the Club at heart who can take these ideas on board and discuss at a senior level.

B) Finding an owner who intends hanging around for more than a year rather than bolting with a case of cash.

Hopefully the Club will at some point settle down and we can progress on a variety of fronts.