The Misunderstanding of Sport

Guest Andypendek

Guest Andypendek

Well, there you are - that was Orwell's point, that outside considerations always come into sport. I'll never understand why the likes of the FA and some football writers refuse to understand what is so obvious. They don't have to agree with it, but to pretend they can wish it away just seems nuts.

A very good read, I think I am very much in your camp regarding the Rangers side of things - and see your points on sport being another 'outlet' or arm of national identity (albiet a constantly eveloving one)

Well the panty wetters got their way tonite,It's been a long time since Wembley was so quiet.Yes it was a 'friendly' but the complete lack of atmosphere was deafening.Then again,they don't want loud footie fans at games anymore,only the prawn sandwich brigade.

Guest Andypendek

Not the greatest game ever. If that was a ballet, you'd have to imagine Anne Widdecombe as prima ballerina, being held aloft somewhat unsteadily by Eric Pickles and John Prescott, while an orchestra under the baton of Liam Gallagher murder Tchaikovsky.

Certainly I wouldn't want to see a return to the aggro and confrontation of days gone by, but the lust to neuter any vestige of confrontation is getting boring. Either that, or I am getting old and out of touch...which, given my total bewilderment at what it was that the golf guy (George O'Grady?) said which was so offensive, may be the case.