VAR

What's everyone's opinions on this? Watching the Leicester v fleetwood game last night and so far I really don't like it. Granted it's going to get rid of some mistakes but how many decisions will be down to the referee watching the replays opinions? The main thing I disliked though was the length of time it took to make the decision. For the goal that was eventually allowed it took nearly 2 minutes for them to watch it as give the goal, for me it takes away from the pace of the game and even when the goal is given it's taken the wind out of the sails a bit and the celebrations were muted. Maybe as it progresses things will get quicker and we'll get more used to it but at the moment for me it's killing some of the enjoyment from watching football.

Im all for goal line technology something's that's instant so doesn't interrupt the flow of the game and where the decision is black and white but the VAR introduced in some games this season for me is a step too far.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

What's everyone's opinions on this? Watching the Leicester v fleetwood game last night and so far I really don't like it. Granted it's going to get rid of some mistakes but how many decisions will be down to the referee watching the replays opinions? The main thing I disliked though was the length of time it took to make the decision. For the goal that was eventually allowed it took nearly 2 minutes for them to watch it as give the goal, for me it takes away from the pace of the game and even when the goal is given it's taken the wind out of the sails a bit and the celebrations were muted. Maybe as it progresses things will get quicker and we'll get more used to it but at the moment for me it's killing some of the enjoyment from watching football.

Im all for goal line technology something's that's instant so doesn't interrupt the flow of the game and where the decision is black and white but the VAR introduced in some games this season for me is a step too far.

How much more black and white could that decision be, the player is onside the linesman got it wrong. It took 60secs to review and the goal is given. 

Only thing I would criticise is they haven’t went far enough and the crowd need to hear what is being reviewed and why. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

How much more black and white could that decision be, the player is onside the linesman got it wrong. It took 60secs to review and the goal is given. 

Only thing I would criticise is they haven’t went far enough and the crowd need to hear what is being reviewed and why. 

And what about decisions that are subjective and one person might see it different to another?

For instance?????

You see penalty decisions on a weekly basis that cause debate, introducing something like this would need to be 100% bulletproof, having it for subjective things is a total waste of time.

7 minutes ago, Gustav said:

You see penalty decisions on a weekly basis that cause debate, introducing something like this would need to be 100% bulletproof, having it for subjective things is a total waste of time.

You use it simply to let the video Ref have a few looks at it, if after that he can’t decide you don’t give it. 

You can still have the debate that the video Ref is a cunt. ??

25 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

On that one decision yes, how many times do we see it on tv where after the game the pundits can be discussing a red card or penalty incident for ages watch it from all different angles and still can't agree? VAR won't solve problems like this and for the more clear  cut ones we should be looking to improve refereeing and making refs accountable. All VAR does it's slows down the game and takes the passion and excitement out of the big decisions. 

I also worry refs will become too reliant on it and it will be used every time there's an important decision to be made, the bloody match will lady for hours! 

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

On that one decision yes, how many times do we see it on tv where after the game the pundits can be discussing a red card or penalty incident for ages watch it from all different angles and still can't agree? VAR won't solve problems like this and for the more clear  cut ones we should be looking to improve refereeing and making refs accountable. All VAR does it's slows down the game and takes the passion and excitement out of the big decisions. 

I also worry refs will become too reliant on it and it will be used every time there's an important decision to be made, the bloody match will lady for hours! 

What’s more exciting than waiting for a close offside goal going to review to see if the goal stands, that review took 60seconds, your only going to get maybe 2 or 3 reviews a game  

No matter how good a Ref you have he has a split second to see something from one angle. 60 seconds for the video Ref to look at it from different angles and slowed down isn’t much to put up with. 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

What’s more exciting than waiting for a close offside goal going to review to see if the goal stands, that review took 60seconds, your only going to get maybe 2 or 3 reviews a game  

No matter how good a Ref you have he has a split second to see something from one angle. 60 seconds for the video Ref to look at it from different angles and slowed down isn’t much to put up with. 

Thought it took closer to two minutes but I could be wrong on that, however even if it's one minute for something as clear cut as that how long will it take for a dubious penalty decision or a red card? I don't think it adds any excitement at all last night the celebrations seemed very muted after it.

2 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Thought it took closer to two minutes but I could be wrong on that, however even if it's one minute for something as clear cut as that how long will it take for a dubious penalty decision or a red card? I don't think it adds any excitement at all last night the celebrations seemed very muted after it.

First time it’s been done and they need to get the crowd involved more, the same way they do at the Rugby. 

Also what happens if for example a team is attacking and a player from the defending team makes a tackle in the box gets the ball and begins a counter attack. The ref thinks it could have been a foul and calls for VAR and the video ref decides it was a fair tackle. Where does the game re start from? Does the counter attacking team lose the chance to break when they've done nothing wrong?

9 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Really takes away the immediate enjoyment of a goal for the players and fans in they situations.

It’s not something we’ll have here so not that bothered by it.

But if they didn’t have VAR it wouldn’t have been a goal. 

You use it simply to let the video Ref have a few looks at it, if after that he can’t decide you don’t give it. 

You can still have the debate that the video Ref is a cunt. ??

So you're slowing down the game and still maybe getting it wrong? Nah not for me.

Would you rather have that goal being disallowed???

You've gave an example where it worked, I've given reasons why it's flawed. I think if you're going to make such a drastic change it has to be 100% a positive. I don't think something that can come down to someone's opinion is 100% a positive, it's the same as the ref making a call only it disrupts the game.

Ryan Jack's red card at Pittodrie for example, ask 100 people if that's a red 50 will say aye 50 will say naw.

3 minutes ago, Gustav said:

You've gave an example where it worked, I've given reasons why it's flawed. I think if you're going to make such a drastic change it has to be 100% a positive. I don't think something that can come down to someone's opinion is 100% a positive, it's the same as the ref making a call only it disrupts the game.

Ryan Jack's red card at Pittodrie for example, ask 100 people if that's a red 50 will say aye 50 will say naw.

So you stay with totally flawed instead of trying to get as much right as possible. 

I doubt very much the Ref in the Jack incident would even have reviewed that decision, he was certain it was a Red. 

That goal the Ref asked for a second look as it was really tight. I’m sure if it’s a penalty shout and he’s hasnt got a good look at it they will ask for a second look. 

Anything that makes the game fairer for both sides should be embraced imo. 

But it’s always going to split opinion. ??

So you stay with totally flawed instead of trying to get as much right as possible. 

I doubt very much the Ref in the Jack incident would even have reviewed that decision, he was certain it was a Red. 

That goal the Ref asked for a second look as it was really tight. I’m sure if it’s a penalty shout and he’s hasnt got a good look at it they will ask for a second look. 

Anything that makes the game fairer for both sides should be embraced imo. 

But it’s always going to split opinion. ??

How is the officials making the decision they feel is right 'totally flawed'?