Rangers songs

We all have heard the famous Gers classics echo round Ibrox, most of them still send a shiver down my spine even when i just hum the tunes. But what i really want to know (hopefully some of the older bears can help out) is when did each of the songs first start getting sang/played at Ibrox?

Have some of our songs stood for the length of time that our club has occupied, or did some arrive in a decade which some of our fellow bears witnessed? Any knowledge of songs being started, or even your first memory of a certain song being sung at ibrox...would be greatly appreciated. I just want to know a little more about our clubs great history which should be respected and never forgotten...

E.g. When was Follow follow first sang round Ibrox? And if we cannot find this out, does anyone have any early video footage of it being sung around our clubs great halls? Heres hoping this thread provides some interest!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this thread was really interesting, so much so I googled it, just thought I's share this with you all!

Hullo, Hullo, we are rangers boys

Hullo, Hullo, you`ll no us by our noise

We`ll do any-thing to see our team at Ibrox all there way

For we are the Glasgow Rangers Boys

Hullo, Hullo, we are rangers boys

Hullo, Hullo, you`ll no us by our noise

We`ll do any-thing to see our team at Ibrox all there way

For we are the Glasgow Rangers Boys

p.s this is the first song I remember ( with different words) and that was 1986!

:bouncy: Went to Ibrox for my first Old firm game in 1976 having returned from New Zealand. We sang "UDA all the way......" to the tune of Rod Stewarts Sailing (quite ironic)..... the whole Rangers end had their scarfs held up - looked brilliant! I held up a tea towel with King Billy on it .... my uncle grabbed it off me .... we were in the Centenery Stand about 6 feet from the Tims !!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:bouncy: Went to Ibrox for my first Old firm game in 1976 having returned from New Zealand. We sang "UDA all the way......" to the tune of Rod Stewarts Sailing (quite ironic)..... the whole Rangers end had their scarfs held up - looked brilliant! I held up a tea towel with King Billy on it .... my uncle grabbed it off me .... we were in the Centenery Stand about 6 feet from the Tims !!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Classic mate, a tea towel with King Billy on it :craphead: , god musta been some great times!

I can't find any footage of Follow Follow being sung before the 70s, so could it have been introduced by the club recently or can anyone remember it being sung before then?

Classic mate, a tea towel with King Billy on it :craphead: , god musta been some great times!

I can't find any footage of Follow Follow being sung before the 70s, so could it have been introduced by the club recently or can anyone remember it being sung before then?

Follow, Follow was sung back in the 40's at least - may have been older. My father wore it .....sorry, my father sang it back in the 1940'5 and he sang the Billy Boys back then as well. back in the 70's we sang the Derry Boy's not Billy. from what I see of today's games I think we made a lot more noise in the 70's & 80's !! :rolleyes:

The fact Dundee and Hamilton are sung in Follow Follow, makes me think it must be fairly old. As neither of these teams are big enough to sing about nowadays :craphead:

We'd hardly introduce a new song singing about "Cowdenbeath, East Stirling" because it rhymed with something surely <_<

Went to my first OF game this year Thomson scored that beauty of a goal and i was with my uncles pal as iwas sittin in his seat as he got into hospitality and my uncles pals about 6Foot 6 jumped up on the seat after the game during we're having a party absolutely magic :D :D

The fact Dundee and Hamilton are sung in Follow Follow, makes me think it must be fairly old. As neither of these teams are big enough to sing about nowadays :craphead:

We'd hardly introduce a new song singing about "Cowdenbeath, East Stirling" because it rhymed with something surely <_<

The original words didn't have Dundee & Hamilton...

Follow Follow

We will follow Rangers,

Everywhere, anywhere, we will follow on

Follow Follow we will follow Rangers

If they go to Dublin we will follow on

For theres not a team like the Glasgow Rangers

No not one and there never shall be one

Others (Celtic) no all about their troubles

We will fight til the day is won

No not one and there never shall be one....

Oh, flying high up in the sky

we'll keep the blue flag flying high

where er we go, well fear no foe

These may have even been sung in the 30's, but foer surre in the 50's & 60's.

:rolleyes:

The original words didn't have Dundee & Hamilton...

Follow Follow

We will follow Rangers,

Everywhere, anywhere, we will follow on

Follow Follow we will follow Rangers

If they go to Dublin we will follow on

No not one and there never shall be one

Others (Celtic) no all about their troubles

We will fight til the day is won

No not one and there never shall be one....

Oh, flying high up in the sky

where er we go, well fear no foe

These may have even been sung in the 30's, but foer surre in the 50's & 60's.

:rolleyes:

the blue flag was a fantastic song, and follow follow was being sung when i was a young boy with the words you have posted. (tu)

:bouncy: Also:

Soooo bring on the Hibs, the Hearts, the Celtic

Bring on Spaniards by the score (don't know if we would sing that now !!!!)

Barcelona, Real Madrid

we will make a gallant bid

and we're out to show the world what we can do...... then into Follow Follow etc. :rangers:

Billy Boys was a song for the Brigton Derry, for William Fullerton's gang and originated in the 1930s, so I'm takin it, it was probably sung not too long after that period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Boys

Also I hear a lot of older Rangers fans sing the song

We're the boys from the cross

We're loyal and we're true

and when we meet a fenian we're ready for a do

With the cry of no surrender you'll know us by our noise

Good luck to the glasgow rangers and the brigton derry boys

And it's to this exact tune

UDA all the way

When did we stop signing "and it's Glasgow Rangers..." (lke the Arsenal song)? I heard it from an old match on RTV and sounded great. Would love to hear it back...

:bouncy: We were still singing it in 1985 when I left Glasgow ......

In the 70's and 80's we used to make songs up using pop songs etc. that were popular at the time.

One of my favourites was ..... Oh, oh, oh it's magic, you know, never be 10 in a row ....

Also Gary Glitters, Hello, Hello it's good to be back became ...... Hello, Hello green & whites shite, grren & whites shite....

Ah memories ..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:bouncy: Born in Brigton as was my father, grandfather & great grandfather.

We sang "We're the boys from the toll we are loyal and were true ..... :rangers:

Also: We are the Brigton Derry F*** the Pope & the Virgin (you get the picture) :rangers:

When did we stop signing "and it's Glasgow Rangers..." (lke the Arsenal song)? I heard it from an old match on RTV and sounded great. Would love to hear it back...

:bouncy: We were still singing it in 1985 when I left Glasgow ......

In the 70's and 80's we used to make songs up using pop songs etc. that were popular at the time.

One of my favourites was ..... Oh, oh, oh it's magic, you know, never be 10 in a row ....

Also Gary Glitters, Hello, Hello it's good to be back became ...... Hello, Hello green & whites shite, grren & whites shite....

Ah memories ..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm right with you on those, loved it! :bouncy: :bouncy:

Billy Boys was a song for the Brigton Derry, for William Fullerton's gang and originated in the 1930s, so I'm takin it, it was probably sung not too long after that period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Boys

UDA all the way

can you mind my old man is a orangeman. :rolleyes:

UDA all the way

Yes ... M o M a O No fenian can deny - He likes to waer his orange sash on the 12th day of July

He looks a proper nana marching with his rope

He'd like to march right up to Rome and hang the F*****n Pope.....

What about: " I'd like to teach the world to sing the Sash my father wore..... :harhar:

UDA all the way

Yes ... M o M a O No fenian can deny - He likes to waer his orange sash on the 12th day of July

What about: " I'd like to teach the world to sing the Sash my father wore..... :harhar:

you know them all, can you mind the used to sing a song the birdie was loyal the birdie was true the birdie was sprinkled with orange and blue :)

UDA all the way

you know them all, can you mind the used to sing a song the birdie was loyal the birdie was true the birdie was sprinkled with orange and blue :)

<cr> No - got me there !! <cr>