Never mind the SPL2, the whole Scottish League system needs an overhall...

GOAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

Scottish football needs to do something similar to this. Obviously it would never be as big, but junior teams all over Scotland should in theory, be allowed to win the SPL. The SPL NEEDS to be updated to a 18-20 team league. Teams should only play each other twice. Playing the same team four times (maybe more) a season is boring and too repetitive. Even the Rangers-Celtic game has lost it's spark because we play each other four times a season.

The SPL should then have a winter break, either in December or January, with the Rangers-Celtic derby either kicking it off on January 1st, or bringing it back with a bang. The split is possibly the most ridiculous idea in the history of ridiculous ideas. It's just daft. Potentially, the team who finishes 6th could have more points than the team who finish 1st! Hopefully first and second get CL spots, with 3rd and 4th getting Europa League spots. Obviously the cup winners receiving the other Europa cup spot. Relegation should see three teams do down.

Then there is the other divisions. In my opinion, it should be sorted into two leagues. The North and the South. The North dealing with clubs from Fife upwards and the South dealing with clubs from Stirling downwards to Dumfries/Stranraer. Then the league should be structured to allow the amateur/junior sides a chance to get into the football league. The winners of both north and South automatically go up and maybe the second, third and fourth teams of both leagues entering a play-off tournament for the other spot. I don't know how relegation would work from the SPL to the North and South, but I'm sure that could be worked out.

Or have I lost the plot?

You've got this right Mr Goat. I'd only disagree with the winter break. Continuity is important. Playing a match against the same club for times a season is tedious.

I agree with the north/south divide but lookking to the future problems coud arise. For example the automatically promoted clubs are Elgin City (north) and Airdrie (south) The play-off winners are Peterhead (north) The relegated sides are Celtic, Killie and Motherwell (all south) Which two of these go into the north leaugue?

How do they fix this problem in England where the lower leagues are north and south?

I would agree with an 18 team league....also the bottom club in the bottom division gets relegated to a junior league.

Have Rangers and Celtic youth sides in the lower leagues to boost crowds and revenue

Bring back a 4 week Winter break,to give the players and pitches a rest and also in January most of us are skint and can't afdford football.

Make the Old Firm New Years day fixture the last before the break.

Have play offs with 3rd and 4th in first division and 15th and 16th in the premier division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

Scottish football needs to do something similar to this. Obviously it would never be as big, but junior teams all over Scotland should in theory, be allowed to win the SPL. The SPL NEEDS to be updated to a 18-20 team league. Teams should only play each other twice. Playing the same team four times (maybe more) a season is boring and too repetitive. Even the Rangers-Celtic game has lost it's spark because we play each other four times a season.

The SPL should then have a winter break, either in December or January, with the Rangers-Celtic derby either kicking it off on January 1st, or bringing it back with a bang. The split is possibly the most ridiculous idea in the history of ridiculous ideas. It's just daft. Potentially, the team who finishes 6th could have more points than the team who finish 1st! Hopefully first and second get CL spots, with 3rd and 4th getting Europa League spots. Obviously the cup winners receiving the other Europa cup spot. Relegation should see three teams do down.

Then there is the other divisions. In my opinion, it should be sorted into two leagues. The North and the South. The North dealing with clubs from Fife upwards and the South dealing with clubs from Stirling downwards to Dumfries/Stranraer. Then the league should be structured to allow the amateur/junior sides a chance to get into the football league. The winners of both north and South automatically go up and maybe the second, third and fourth teams of both leagues entering a play-off tournament for the other spot. I don't know how relegation would work from the SPL to the North and South, but I'm sure that could be worked out.

Or have I lost the plot?

Love the idea in principle

You've got this right Mr Goat. I'd only disagree with the winter break. Continuity is important. Playing a match against the same club for times a season is tedious.

I agree with the north/south divide but lookking to the future problems coud arise. For example the automatically promoted clubs are Elgin City (north) and Airdrie (south) The play-off winners are Peterhead (north) The relegated sides are Celtic, Killie and Motherwell (all south) Which two of these go into the north leaugue?

How do they fix this problem in England where the lower leagues are north and south?

As I said, problems will arise. But if the English can sort it out in the Conference North and South divide, surely we can?

Here is why you'd need some sort of a divide. Peterhead - 32 miles from Aberdeen - have to travel a six hour bus journey to Stranraer, now that is approx. 275 miles according to google maps. That's outrageous.

Ross County - the most northern club in the football league. 14 miles from Inverness, yet have to take a five hour bus journey aprox. 250 miles to Dumfries for a match against Queen of the South, and vice versa.

Elgin City - about half way between Inverness and Peterhead - have to take a 257 mile journey to face Annan, just over a five hour drive.

No wonder the lower leagues attendences are poor.

Elgin City are the most northerly (but not the most Highland) club in the Leagues and what you say about them travelling to Annan and Berwick and vice versa is spot on. It makes no sense.

I'm sure the English have an answer to the north/south regional league problem. I just wonder what it is.

Amalgamation is essential but it still leaves the regional promotion problem.

eg Promoted as regional champs: Heart of Moray (North) and Lanark Utd (South)

Play-off winners: Inverness County (North)

SPL bottom three (from the top) Falkirk Albion, KillieAyr and Celtic-Thistle (all south)

Who gets booted up to the Arctic? Geography says Falkirk Albion but is that fair? It could get badly mixed up after a few years. Probably a price worth paying to get rid of the current stupid setup.

the only prob i can see is amalgamation. most local sides hate each other and it wouldnt work.i was at q.of s and stranraer a couple of year ago not nice. i,m all for 18. chance to blood more youngstyers in meaningless games.scottish footbal went into decline with the premier league back in the 70-,s.