Scottish Players

All this talk of the best player in the world/ best full back has got me thinking. In the past 10 years, who has been the best player you've seen from Scotland?

For me, it's quite obvious, a young Barry Ferguson, but I'd like to see all of your opinions. Can we keep it to people who have played their best football in these past 10 years, not players who were still active but their best days were behind them.

Ferguson is the obvious candidate but to go to Liverpool as a "washed up" 35 year old and produce some of the best football of your career takes some doing, so I would go for Gary McAllister.

Very good shout with McAllister.

Ferguson as best all round player

James Macfadden for the goals though - against holland france and lithunia!! So many great moments he produced - an utter legend!!

Darren Fletcher is the best at moment - he stands out a mile when ever i see him for scotland but is only a fringe player at Man Utd.

Shows how good they are too.

It says it all about scottish football when there are only about 3 or 4 genuine contenders over 10 years!!! Barry Ferguson at his best was prob the best we have produced. Darren Fletcher has to be considered you dont get a game for Man Utd without being a very good player.

Other than them......?? Hutton has only had one great season...I suppose you could argue McFadden has produced for the national team, but I just rate him that much at all!!

Ferguson as best all round player

James Macfadden for the goals though - against holland france and lithunia!! So many great moments he produced - an utter legend!!

Darren Fletcher is the best at moment - he stands out a mile when ever i see him for scotland but is only a fringe player at Man Utd.

Shows how good they are too.

Have you been watching the same Darren Fletcher as i have ?

in the last 3 years i can honestly say i cant remember him playing well for Scotland.

Cheating a bit as his best days were in 96, but John Collins has to be mentioned. Phenomenal left peg, ridiculously creative, great passer and simply unplayable when on his game. He played like a Frenchman rather than a Scotsman, slotting in seamlessly alongside the likes of Barthez, Trezeguet, Petit and Henry at Monaco. He even had his moments when Smith paired him up with the brilliant Olivier Dacourt at Everton when he was well into his 30's.

Well ahead of the Scottish game when it came to management as well. His sports science/fitness plans where never going to work with a bunch of dossers at Hibs. I had to laugh at the Scottish media when they were saying he doesn't possess enough contacts to succeed here. His contacts? Only his close family friend Frank Rijkaard and his ex-gaffers, Walter Smith and John Tigana.

But yeah, you just have to mention a young Barry Ferguson as well. On his day, the only players in Britain that could match him were Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane.

I'm absolutely astonished to see McFadden's name in this thread.

He's an awful footballer.

I watched McFadden week in week out when he was at Motherwell and i really thought he could have been something amazing. Sadly, the 'teenage' kinks in his game that i thought would be ironed out with time are still there.

I remember attending a game where Motherwell played Thistle and McFadden had just scored. Gerry Britton kicked off again and Faddy charged at him, took the ball, beat 2 men with some ridiculous flair, dummied another and then smashed it in. He was easily the best player in the SPL in those 6 months before leaving for Everton.

He's so over rated it's beyond belief.

Scored some important goals though, France Ukraine Holland.......

Just a legend really!

Not quite the last 10 years but King Richard led the team like no-one since. A collosus at the back.

He was always getting a hard time when i first got my season ticket but some of his performances in his 30's were hero stuff.

A real enigma.

If was half as good as he thinks he is, he would be top of this list.

Just a legend really!

He really is anything but a legend, to be fair.

I watched McFadden week in week out when he was at Motherwell and i really thought he could have been something amazing. Sadly, the 'teenage' kinks in his game that i thought would be ironed out with time are still there.

I remember attending a game where Motherwell played Thistle and McFadden had just scored. Gerry Britton kicked off again and Faddy charged at him, took the ball, beat 2 men with some ridiculous flair, dummied another and then smashed it in. He was easily the best player in the SPL in those 6 months before leaving for Everton.

Maybe awful is a bit harsh, but he seems to be in decline.

He HAS been awful for Scotland since his 'wondergoals'.

Just a legend really!

He really is anything but a legend, to be fair.

Hes a legend for that goal against France, that was an amazing night of my life and one i will never forget