Alexander on his chance

Boab

NEIL ALEXANDER today vowed to cling on to the number one jersey at Rangers so he can enjoy a long-term future at the club.

The goalkeeper has returned to the starting line-up after glove rival Allan McGregor was axed for his part in the Scotland Boozegate shame.

And although Walter Smith has now deemed McGregor available for selection again, Alexander was between the sticks again over the weekend as Rangers maintained their title challenge with a vital 3-2 win over Hibs.

After taking over from McGregor earlier in the campaign, Alexander found himself dropped from the team after Smith felt his initial decision to drop McGregor was a bit harsh because he had only just returned from a long injury lay-off.

But Alexander doesn't want to lose his place in the team this time and admits it's a nice feeling to be involved on a matchday.

He said: "It has been very difficult being a number two if I'm being honest. You sit there, analyse every game and see the good, bad and ugly from the bench.

"Not being involved is hard and sometimes you wonder why you're here when you could be away playing somewhere else every week. I love it here, though, and Rangers are a fantastic football club.

"At the moment, I'm just getting the head down and seeing what it brings and obviously, with Allan being out the team just now, I'm getting a chance.

"If I do well over the next few weeks, hopefully that will set me up nicely for next season and give me an opportunity to have an extended run in the side.

"I can understand why the manager put Allan back in the team a few months ago. He spoke to me about it when he made his decision and I appreciated that.

"He tried to protect me and while it was disappointing to come out of the team, I think he wanted me to step down on a high.

"I realise he wanted that rather than for me to go back to the bench on a low with the fans on my back after I'd made a mistake that had cost us or whatever.

"Because he did that, my confidence was still high in training every day and the supporters kept a good opinion of me. In that respect, I don't have too many problems with what happened. You clearly want to play and I'm no different to anyone else."

Alexander knows he's benefitted from a quirk of fate outwith his control...especially as McGregor was at the top of his game before being axed.

He said: ""Due to circumstances, he's now out of the side and I've got another chance so it's important I make the most of it. As I've been on the bench so long, it's going to take me three or four games just to get match fit again and get my eye in.

"But hopefully I can do well and have a sustained period in the team that brings us some silverware."

Speaking in the Rangers News, Alexander added: "We've not won a league in a few years and I think it's about time that changed. We need to win it again and that's a big target for the boys."

Publication date 22/04/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2503576.0.0.php

"I can understand why the manager put Allan back in the team a few months ago. He spoke to me about it when he made his decision and I appreciated that.

"He tried to protect me and while it was disappointing to come out of the team, I think he wanted me to step down on a high.

"I realise he wanted that rather than for me to go back to the bench on a low with the fans on my back after I'd made a mistake that had cost us or whatever.

"Because he did that, my confidence was still high in training every day and the supporters kept a good opinion of me. In that respect, I don't have too many problems with what happened. You clearly want to play and I'm no different to anyone else."

Still don't agree with the decision to drop Alexander earlier in the season, but at least this shows there was some kind of logic to it.

"I realise he wanted that rather than for me to go back to the bench on a low with the fans on my back after I'd made a mistake that had cost us or whatever."

Still don't agree with the decision to drop Alexander earlier in the season, but at least this shows there was some kind of logic to it.

I didn't agree with it either and I don't like that excuse one bit. Players should continue to keep their place on form and not lose it because they might have made a mistake in the future.

He has a good attitude Alexander. I, for one, hopes he keeps his place because that will mean he's keeping his form and it's a time when we need an on-form keeper.