Goram predicts McGregor comeback

CooperSF

Former Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram says Allan McGregor is unlikely to play in Saturday's Scottish Cup final but will come back stronger next season.

McGregor has not played since being suspended by the club along with midfielder Barry Ferguson after misbehaviour with Scotland in April.

"Neil Alexander has done a great job since he came in and he is entitled to keep his place," said Goram.

"But knowing Allan McGregor as I do, he will come back a better player."

Goram himself suffered from off-field problems and controversy during his career with Oldham, Hibernian, Rangers, Manchester United, Queen of the South, Clyde and Scotland.

"I know more than most about adversity off the pitch," said the man known as "The Goalie" ahead of the cup final against Falkirk.

"I was at Rangers and Walter Smith put me on the transfer list.

"We all make mistakes, but it is how you come through it and I am sure Allan and Barry will be better players next season.

"He might have to wait for injuries or bad performances, but I know Allan will be even more determined."

Goram was speaking on the same day that Scotland manager George Burley told BBC Scotland that there was no change to his position over McGregor and Ferguson, who had been banned from Scotland selection following a drinking session and rude gestures made while on Scotland duty.

Ferguson has made a couple of substitute appearances for Rangers at the end of the season, leading to speculation that he could also return to the international scene.

The former Rangers captain has been linked with a summer move to West Brom and the English club's captain, Jonathan Greening, said that signing the 31-year-old would be a "real coup" and a statement of intent by the relegated club.

Meanwhile, Goram praised manager Smith for being on the brink of a league and cup double after clinching the Scottish Premier League crown on Sunday with a 3-0 win away to Dundee United.

"We came back to win the league by four points after being seven points behind at the turn of the year," he said.

"He has kept them going because of his belief and desire to win.

"I thought Sunday was the best performance of the season. If they played like that all season, they would have won it by Christmas."

There had been speculation that Smith might stand down as manager at the end of the season if he failed to win the league, with assistant Ally McCoist being groomed to take over.

But Goram suggested: "Walter Smith will never walk away from anything.

"He's got a chance to win a double and I'm sure he will want to have a pop at the Champions League and get Rangers through the group stages.

"I don't think Walter will be leaving for a while and can stay as long as he wants as long as Rangers are successful."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/8069151.stm

i'd keep alexander, punt shagger for 4-5 mill and let walter buy another CB for at least 3mill (seeing as we got boughie for 2.5, i'd love another signing of that calibre)

spend the leftover on somewhere that we need it, BUT ONLY ONCE THE CULL IS DONE, so we dont end up having too many players in same position again