Tevez Joins Man City

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# Mon 13 Jul 2009, 7:16PM

# Posted by Chris Bailey

Manchester City is delighted to announce that agreement has been reached with Carlos Tevez over a proposed move to the City of Manchester Stadium.

Personal terms with the 25-year-old have been concluded and the deal has been ratified by the Premier League and the Football Association.

After a medical Carlos, who has won the league title in every country in which he has played, is expected to sign a five-year contract and will meet up with his new teammates on their pre-season tour to South Africa. He will sport the number 32 shirt.

The only player to named South American Player of the Year in three successive seasons, Carlos has recently concluded a summer break following his successful World Cup exploits with Argentina.

"It is terrific news," a delighted Mark Hughes told mcfc.co.uk. "Carlos is an international player of the highest class who possesses all the attributes that will help drive this club forward.

"He is not only outstanding technically but he is a reliable goal scorer and someone who will contribute fully to the team ethic. He gives us another exciting, attacking dimension.

"I cannot wait to welcome him to City. This is yet another deal that shows the commitment of the owner Sheikh Mansour to make this club the very best it can possibly be. I am sure our fans will give Carlos an exceptionally warm welcome."

Tevez signs after an extended loan spell at Old Trafford where he spent two seasons and clocked up 99 league and cup starts and bagged 34 goals.

He has previously spent a season at West Ham United having made his name in his homeland with Boca Juniors before transferring in 2005 to Brazilian club Corinthians.

Carlos’ scoring ratio with Boca was better than one in three games and he improved that to better than one in two at his second club.

Like Blues teammate Pablo Zabaleta, Tevez has an Olympic gold medal though from Athens in 2004 not last year in Beijing. He has clocked up 50 senior caps for his country.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2009/...vez-agrees-deal

Nah, I actually think it's a great signing for them, got plenty of quality but more importantly puts his all into every game.

I like to call this the 'Kirk Broadfoot Mentality' :pipe:

Not sure how you managed to bring Kirk Broadfoot into a Carlos Tevez topic.

Nah, I actually think it's a great signing for them, got plenty of quality but more importantly puts his all into every game.

I like to call this the 'Kirk Broadfoot Mentality' :pipe:

Not sure how you managed to bring Kirk Broadfoot into a Carlos Tevez topic.

It's the effort over skill thing.

Obviously, El Apache has enough skill to get away with it though.

El Eggchops doesn't :anguish:

I am not Tevez biggest fan tbh.

At Man United, yes he was better than Berbatov but he was no where near Rooney and Ronaldo. He can score a few goals but he is certainly not prolific and because of his height he couldn't lead the line on his own. There are far better strikers out there. If Owen kicks on at Man Utd then the United fans will be thinking Carlos who? after a couple of months.

As for City, well there strikeforce is becoming a bit of a community center.

Tevez, Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Robinho, Bojinov, Evans, Benjani and maybe Adebayor. Also SWP can be used in the AMR which a forward player. I would probably expect Bojimov and Benjani to be sold with maybe Evans being loaned out, but, that would still leave 6 strikers thats including Adebayor and SWP. How the hell is that going to work?

They usually play a 4-2-1-2-1 formation like this:

----------------Bellamy----------------------

Robinho----------------------Wright-Phillips

---------------Ireland------------------------

-------De Jong----------Kompany----------

Bridge---Dunne---Richards----Zabelyeta

---------------Given-----------------------

So with that you've got to fit in Gareth Barry, where you would probably replace Kompany with him. Tevez with SWP. Adebayor with Bellamy. That's leaves Santa Cruz, SWP, Bellamy on the bench. All players who wont be happy at sitting there and haven't been shy of a moan or two. As have Adebayor, Robinho and Tevez so if any of the them got dropped then I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Hughes has to deal with a few tantrums next season. The one player I feel sorry for is Stephen Ireland. He has just put in his best season in a City shirt, and, I believe he's City's best player, but, I can see him getting dropped which will allow Robinho to 'play in the hole' and therefore letting another one of the big boys on the bench to play one the left. Hopefully Hughes has more sence.

I'm pleased with this signing, will be interesting how things will pan out tactically but I'm sure Sparky will have this roughly in mind.

TBH I don't think Hughes has a clue what he is doing.

The players he is buying are not what Man City need at the moment.

I look at him at the moment and what I see staring back at me is see a kid from a poor background who has found a £20 note and as a result is buying every penny chew that he lays his eyes on just becuase he can.

Should be a great signing for them, but you got to wonder what their policy is, they seem to be blindly throwing money

about looking for names (and paying over the odds) rather than looking to build a balanced squad. As has

been mentioned here already, they are top heavy with attacking options already, that will spell trouble keeping all the egos (bellamy etc) happy.

As for Tevez i'm not sure how badly SAF really wanted to keep him. If he had rated him that highly surely (a) he could have convinced him to stay

(b) he would have been starting more regular anyway. I just get the impression SAF doesn't seem that upset about Tevez leaving?

He's lost bigger players than him and it hasn't affected the club.

I'm pleased with this signing, will be interesting how things will pan out tactically but I'm sure Sparky will have this roughly in mind.

I look at him at the moment and what I see staring back at me is see a kid from a poor background who has found a £20 note and as a result is buying every penny chew that he lays his eyes on just becuase he can.

Hughes has about as much say in their transfers as Pellegrini does for Madrid - very little.

They're the coaches, and it's the money men who bring in the shiny stuff for them to play in.

Hughes is out of his depth, the wrong manager at the wrong club with too small a personality to handle all these superstars.

Should be a great signing for them, but you got to wonder what their policy is, they seem to be blindly throwing money

about looking for names (and paying over the odds) rather than looking to build a balanced squad.

Not sure about that, they've got everything they need in terms of balance - full backs like Bridge and Zabaleta (Haim), great goalie in Given, defenders like Richards, Dunne, Haim, midfielders like Kompany, De Jong, Ireland, Etuhu, Barry, wingers like Robinho and SWP, and a stupid amount of strikers in Bellamy, Benjani, Santa Cruz, Tevez, probably Adebayor.

It looks balanced enough to me.

about looking for names (and paying over the odds) rather than looking to build a balanced squad.

Not sure about that, they've got everything they need in terms of balance - full backs like Bridge and Zabaleta (Haim), great goalie in Given, defenders like Richards, Dunne, Haim, midfielders like Kompany, De Jong, Ireland, Etuhu, Barry, wingers like Robinho and SWP, and a stupid amount of strikers in Bellamy, Benjani, Santa Cruz, Tevez, probably Adebayor.

You got to admit the defence isn't the best? If you replace Dunne with say, Terry (unlikely IMO) and maybe another top drawer CB

you got a stating 11 that could challenge the top four.

You got to admit the defence isn't the best? If you replace Dunne with say, Terry (unlikely IMO) and maybe another top drawer CB

you got a stating 11 that could challenge the top four.

The defence isn't exactly world class, but that team needs a leader and Dunne's it. Richards does also seem to be living on a 'potential' tag - hasn't really fulfilled it yet.

If City can sign Terry then that's when I'll sit up and take notice of them in terms of challenge the top four and becoming a top four club. Atm, they are just signing players who will boost there profile and not players who will benefit their team, like what Chelsea did with Abrahmovic.

No, he's just trying to get as a many top-class players as possible regardless of transfer fee or wage and then I guess he plans to figure out tactics later.

It's pretty much what I'd be doing in his position - having a laugh and going transfer mental.

They still need 1/2 top class defenders though.

Can't wait to see how they do this season, lol.

If City can sign Terry then that's when I'll sit up and take notice of them in terms of challenge the top four and becoming a top four club. Atm, they are just signing players who will boost there profile and not players who will benefit their team, like what Chelsea did with Abrahmovic.

Although they went on to win the league twice in a row after doing so.