United's Webster loan deal

United's Webster loan deal

By GARETH LAW

Published: 14 Jul 2009

rigTeaserImage

DUNDEE UNITED are set to tie up a loan deal for Andy Webster in the next 48 hours.

The Rangers defender will sign for a season at Tannadice as the Ibrox side bid to slash the size of their squad.

Falkirk gaffer Eddie May had hoped to land the 27-year-old in a similar arrangement.

But United boss Craig Levein - who signed Webster for Hearts from Arbroath when he was Tynecastle boss - looks to have won the battle for the Scotland cap, who has endured three years of misery since quitting Tynecastle.

It's believed United and Gers will split the wages of Webster, who has been restricted by injuries and poor form to just one first-team game at Ibrox.

Meanwhile, Levein will turn to his young guns at the start of the season.

With strikers Jon Daly and Francisco Sandaza crocked, he wants David Goodwillie, Andis Shala and Johnny Russell to help out Danny Cadamarteri.

Levein said: "I won't be looking for a striker."

Advertisement

At one point Webster was supposed to be a good player, so if he can get regular playing time and prove his worth, then that's beneficial for Rangers, either to sell him afterwords, or for him to perhaps crack the starting 11

Best for all parties.

Hopefully webster can get over his injury curse.

I cant see him ever playing for rangers now, but before his injury problems he was a decent defender.I'd say one of the best 2 defenders, for what scotland had to offer. Better than wilkie and kenneth.