NHL 10

bluenose_72

The demo is released today(it is in the US, not sure about the UK). Can't wait for this game, they have apparently went through forums seeing what the fans wanted and have made a lot of gameplay refinements. There will also be a GM mode.

New features

Battle on the Boards: A new board play physics engine lets players shield the puck along the boards, kick-pass it to teammates, or pin an opponent.[2]

Intimidation Tactics: Players will be able to fore-check defenders, pressure the puck, and finish checks to force your opposing skaters into making mistakes. Engaging the opposing team's star players will now instigate players and fans. Skaters who frequently harass star players will become antagonized by the opposing crowd and players.[2]

Post-Whistle Action: Players will be able to finish checks, retaliate for late shots on goal, draw penalties and pick fights after the referee blows the whistle.[2]

New First Person Fighting Engine: Players controlling the team's enforcer will be able to engage instigators in a new first person fighting simulator.[2]

Spectacular Goals: Introducing spectacular new ways to score, like players one-timing loose pucks, stick-handling and shooting from their knees, batting pucks out of the air and lifting a leg to fake a shot on goal.

New Precision Passing: A new 360° precision passing mechanic delivers control over the speed and direction of passes so players can bank passes off the boards or play the puck into space for teammates to skate on to it. Players take poor passes off their skates and kick the puck to their sticks.[2]

Improved Goalie Intelligence: Goaltenders will be able to position themselves more intelligently, react to shots more quickly and recover from saves faster. NHL 10 will feature 250 new goalie animations, including swatting pucks out of the air, second and third saves, and desperation lunges.[2]

Interactive Atmosphere: Animations of fans within in the game have been rendered to appear more life-like and detailed. Playoff games will feature towel-waving fans and greater reactions from the crowds.[2]

GM Mode: Players will now be able to control a team as if they were a general manager in the "NHL General Manager" mode. This feature enables players to build their own dynasty team through drafting, trading, and signing skaters. A players success will be measured by the number of positive influences they have on their franchise.[2]

Battle for the Cup Mode: This mode will allow players to choose two opposing teams and pit them against each other in the Stanley Cup Final. Players will have the option to play a 1, 3, 5, or 7 game elimination round. The winning team will be presented with the Stanley Cup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the game today. This is the first NHL game I've had since 2001 so obviously think it's a huge step up. I love how the commentary sounds very natural. I've mostly been playing Be A Pro as a centre and only gave the other modes a slight go. The thing I've found difficult on BAP is scoring. I always end up trying to do things myself and it gets saved. Have scored a couple but I'm a lot better at getting assists. I found faceoffs really hard to begin with as well but you get used to them.

In the regular game I found it a lot easier to score because I could control where both players could go. Just take one up the flanks and pass it to my guy at the back post. Managed to win a couple of games as Great Britain who are pretty shit, admittedly it was only on Rookie difficulty. The thing I find difficult in this mode is defence. In BAP all I have to do as a centre is get my positioning right and make sure the puck doesn't get to the guy I'm watching. In this mode though I tend to overcommit with my defence and it ends up with them two on one on the goalie. He saved my ass more times than I can count.

GM Mode looks great. Really detailed. Only problem is I know jack shit about hockey as far as tactics go. I have no idea how many line strategies I should have, which players should go in which line, what attributes I should be looking for in certain positions. So hopefully one of the North American guys on here might be able to give me some tips as I'm sure you've grown up with hockey.

The problem I usually have with games from the NHL and MLB is that the seasons have too many games. I usually get impatient and start simulating a lot of my games. With BAP mode though the gameplay is even more fun and I think I can avoid that, even though I've been dropped to the AHL despite the fact in three games I've contributed 2 goals and 3 assists, more than any other player in the team.

i havent had an nhl since 2006? ish :lol:

does it still have the swedish, german leagues?

and also is the british elite league there? :)

will buy it regardless of the later 2 :lol:

1 happy guy :dazed::lol:

Ye it defo has the swedish and german leagues - not check the British 1

Can play the AHL teams and a few other leagues

The only team you need though is the Bruins :ph34r:

Ma box just got RROD!!! Raging!!!

Still covered but gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it back :(

peeesh

That's what ye get for supporting the Bruins :craphead:

Just kidding mate, thats a shitter :(

Damn Xbox's! Though supporting the Bruins :anguish: Hated those cunts last year! :lol:

We kept outplaying them and getting humped, until we finally beat them in the post-season and put them out on their arses :lol:

Was delighted!

Think there may be an issue with NHL10 as I got RROD as soon as it had loaded, 3 other people I know of on hockey forums have experienced the same.

Coincidence?

Really? Interesting...

I'm getting a loan of my bro's box til mine comes back. Now I'm worried I'll tan his box to <cr>

Is it true that the new Elite box's don't have the fault that causes rrod?

It's great mate. I'm addicted to Be A Pro mode. I started a new one and got drafted to Ottawa Senators. Got dropped to the AHL as per usual after a few games but have 11 points in six starts in the AHL and got like 7 from 4 in the NHL. Got a couple of hat-tricks to my name.

Haven't really played the GM Mode yet because I need to learn a it more about the tactical side of the game. Btw season begins this weekend and gonna be recording the opener between Bruins and Capitals.

really good! board play is realistic and the fightings such a big upgrade! not sure on the passing but im sure i will get used to it. also the graphics are brilliant on the arenas the crowd is so realistic :D

It's great mate. I'm addicted to Be A Pro mode. I started a new one and got drafted to Ottawa Senators. Got dropped to the AHL as per usual after a few games but have 11 points in six starts in the AHL and got like 7 from 4 in the NHL. Got a couple of hat-tricks to my name.

Haven't really played the GM Mode yet because I need to learn a it more about the tactical side of the game. Btw season begins this weekend and gonna be recording the opener between Bruins and Capitals.

I started an NHL BAP with Anze Kopitar of the LA Kings and I'm currently top of the NHL scorers leaderboard. His passing is awesome and it helps when guys like Frolov and Brown score once you've passed to them!

Season starts tonight actually, big opener between the Maple Leafs and Canadiens - 2 teams with very different looks to them this season. I paid £70 for ESPN360 online, so I'll have access to every game this season(works out quite well if you follow a team, they play 82 games a season so works out at less than £1 per game). Looking forward to Tampa@Atlanta on Saturday.