Robben agrees to join Bayern Munich

Real Madrid winger Arjen Robben has confirmed he has accepted an offer to join Bayern Munich.

The Dutchman's future has been the subject of intense speculation all summer following the arrivals of Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka.

A return to England has been mooted for Robben with Tottenham credited with an interest in the former Chelsea star, and in recent days Manchester United have also been linked with the player.

However, Bayern Munich have stolen a march on their rivals by agreeing a €25million (£22million) deal with Real to bring the Dutch international to the Allianz Arena.

Robben believes moving to Bayern is the best option for him as he is unlikely to be playing regularly for Real this season.

"This morning I made my decision. This is the best choice for me," Robben told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

Bayern are hoping to tie up a deal for the 25-year-old in the next 48 hours as they look to have him available for this week's clash with reigning champions Wolfsburg.

Robben is the third Dutchman on his way out of El Santiago Bernabeu this summer following the likes of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Wesley Sneijder in leaving the Spanish giants.

The news of Robben's imminent arrival is sure to fuel speculation that Franck Ribery could leave Bayern before the close of the transfer window.

Great signing for Bayern, could just be a dark horse to win the CL.

Robben and Ribery will be a joy to watch (tu)

I dunno mate.

Honickstein was talking about this the other day too and he basically said that Ribery is hating it at Bayern.

Van Gaal wants him to play more centrally (hence the signing of Robben) whereas Ribery wants to continue playing on the left.

Apparantely Van Gaal started him centrally and Ribery basically ignored him, ghosted back to the left hand side and did his own thing.

Van Gaal brushed it off when questioned about it, but it's being talked about as the main reason behind their poor start.

I still think he might leave them before the window slams shut.