***PreMatch Analysis***

nvager

Motherwell vs Rangers at Fir Park on Saturday August 12, 2009. Kick-Off at 12:15 PM.

It is early days in the SPL, but after three games Rangers are top of the league with 9 points and a goal difference of +7 and Celtic also have 9 points but with a goal difference of +6. Motherwell our opponents lie in 5th place with 5 points and a goal difference of +2.

This is a game we should win, but it is away from home and we must be sure to get our attitude right.

We have several players playing for Scotland tonight and let's hope none are injured in that game especially David Weir. Lafferty was injured at the weekend playing for N. Ireland and although not too serious he may miss some games for Rangers.

Providing all our players come through unscathed then we have a lot of options in midfield and attack vs Motherwell.

Will McCulloch play at defensive midfield or will K Thomson return? Will Rothen make his debut for Rangers? Will Naismith keep his place? Will Novo get a start? Will it be Miller and Boyd as usual up front?

Should Alexander start? McGregor has not been in great form.

I will be shocked if the defence is not McGregor, Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir and Papac.

The midfield has a lot of options but I think it may be Davis, McCulloch, Mendes, Naismith.

Boyd and Miller are likely to start up front.

I believe that Rothen will be a substitute, along with Thomson and Novo. Lafferty I believe will not be fit for this weekend, but time will tell.

Motherwell had a poor start to the season with bad Europa League qualifying results, but still have 5 points from three games so they have battled back. It is never easy at Fir Park and their young squad will be going all out for victory, but this Rangers squad is surely far too talented to drop any points.

My prediction is Rangers will win by three goals - say 3-0 Rangers with Miller and Boyd getting all the goals.

The defensive areas pick themselves at the moment, as long as everyone is fit then I expect the following.

McGregor, Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Davis, Mendes, Thomson, Naismith, Miller and Boyd.

I think KT will start to gain match fitness and some time during the second half get substituted, possibly by McCulloch or depending on the score line possibly for one of the younger players, and at some time during the match I would expect to see Rothen get some game time with the Stuttgart game coming up soon, possibly to replace Naismith or even Miller or Boyd, with Rangers changing to a 4-4-2.

At the end of the day it's a game we should win, and I would expect us to score another 4 goals.

Rothen will start. When Pedro came to us, he slotted in right away against Hearts. Might as well get the boy into the side asap. Need him in the CL so.. he starts.

imho of course :-)

EDIT 0-3 GERS

i would go with that thought

I can see McCulloch keeping his place in the team at the expense of Kevin Thomson. Think Rothen will start on the bench as well but will get the final 20 mins. Think we will sneek 1-0 or 2-1 can't see ther being a lot of goals in this one